Sponsored

Two glitches with community package

Kevin Steggles

Casual Member
I live in a village (the same one as Robwil) which has the Community package distributed via a wireless network.

Since installation, I was getting a steady 1mbit. WHilst not the 2mbit I thought I'd get, I was still more than happy with this. However, recently (and I think since one other person has joined) my speeds have dropped to a steady 450kbits, which is poor. Additionally, I often get web pages which I know work, not downloading (instead I get the standard ie6 "page cannot load" message) only for it to load happily when I refresh. Something similar also happens when I try to "send and receive" in Outlook Express, where it says I cannot connect to my pop3 server, only for it to do so happily a few minutes later (incidentally, it always works fine on dial-up). Finally, there also seems to abe a lot of latency in downloading any webpagem whilst when I had a Silvermead one-way connection, everything happened instantly (albeit at about 4kbits).

Lots of questions....any ideas?

Thanks

kingofsocks

ULTIMATE Member
Do you get the 450K on the Wireless link or on the 'host' which acts as the server?

I would think the page not found and POP errors have more to do with the Wireless than anything else.

And Latency is ALWAYS an issue with Satellite.

kingofsocks

ULTIMATE Member
Also, if I was getting 450K on a 2MBIT package I would downgrade to 500K. Its just wasting money.

I mean if you think about standard ADSL, it gets shared between 50 to 20 users so you should be ok.

Kevin Steggles

Casual Member
Thanks for that.

IGood point....the errors on the pages probably are down to the wireless network as I never had that problem with Silvermead (about the only problem I didn't have with them).

As for the speeds, I'm not quite sure what I'm testing, as I test the speed with various bandwidth testers such as bandwidthplace etc. I know these aren't too accurate, but whatever they measure they all indicate a drop of over 50% over the last couple of weeks. Could one additional person joining make that much difference?

I don't think I can downgrade to a slower speed, as being the community package (2000+) it seems there is one tier only.

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Interesting. I have just read the thread thats been locked, and it would seem the contention Teasy mentioned has kicked in.

Could you answer a few questions?

Do you know what the link is to the community backhaul? Its obviously satalite, but is it a 2mb line, 4mb etc?

What package are you paying for, and if you dont mind me asking, around how much do you pay for it?

Kevin Steggles

Casual Member
Ooo, I don't really know. All I know is that the village has a 2000+ Comminuty package, the details of which you can sort of get from their website. I think it's a 2mbit connection with very low contention rates, but I could be talking garbage.

As for costs...I personally pay £50/month, but the package costs the village £4500/year. It's meant to allow unlimited users with unlimited download, so I don't understand why my speeds are so slow.

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Oh dear, it is indeed 2mb, I have just checked on their website.

The most you can get out of a 2MB line is 2MB, so if someone is downloading something at 1MB, there is only 1 MB left and so on, I really cant see how these packages are expected to work.

Do your speeds go up and down, or do they stay low now?

The only thing I think is value for money now, is dial up (assuming you cannot get adsl).

The only advantage you can get from satalite is downloading, as games and other latency applications will not go well over satalite. And for that price, if you are getting low speeds its just not worth it.

I know this isnt really what you wanted to hear, but I think I am fairly close to the truth.

I see they advertise a good contention ratio on their website. Its not much good if its limited by the bandwidth.

evs67uk

ISP Rep
Do you know if the wireless provider is using any form of bandwidth management?
The WISP that I work with (Langreen) use a very good bandwidth management tool which will stop people hogging the bandwidth which sounds like exactly what is happening with you.
cheers

Kevin Steggles

Casual Member
We have simply provided a wireless network within the village ourselves, using mesh boxes where necessary, so there are no restrictions in place. I think it is perhaps the wireless network where the problems are, but I still don't understand why my speeds have dropped so suddenly, although they are back up to 900kbits.

I'm also disappointed that despite two emails directly to Aramiska, I have not received any reply. Thanks for your reply though.

JamesP

If you're not the one who purchased the Aramiska connection then Aramiska won't talk to you.

Our company has Aramiska, and we've noticed that speeds have been suffering a bit lately during office hours.

evs67uk - Do you know if there are any issues at present?

evs67uk

ISP Rep
Hi James,
Many thanks for the question.
I am not aware of any network issues at the moment.
I speak to our NOC engineers on a very regular basis & they have not said anything.
It might be worth giving them a quick bell just to check your connection for stability.
They can be contacted on 00800 27264752.
Just ask them to run a speed test on your connection.

With regard to the wireless issue & the Arc2000+.
If the wireless feed to each resident does not have any form of bandwidth management, it only takes a few people to start doing large downloads & they will take bandwidth from other users.
Also, you are correct when you say that Aramiska will only speak to the customer that placed the order.
If you do have any questions, I will endeavour to answer them on here for one & all.
cheers
Mike

JamesP

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply.

CS said that there is indeed an issue that is causing lower speeds than usual, and to give them a couple of weeks to resolve it. I think they mentioned there were a few customers breaching the FUP.

Maybe some of Kevin's problems are a result of this ?

Fudskie

Pro Member
Wisp

Hello all,
I pressume from your posts that no internal bandwidth management of the wireless LAN is in force, I would suggest you do this as the connection from Aramiska will only see one connection from the first Mesh box & pressume to allocate all bandwidth to this user. It can not see your infrastructure. As for 2MB from a 2MB link is all you get this is not quite true. On satellite when capacity is not in use the burst above syndrome comes in to effect. I have seen at the early hours a 2000+ pull 3.1MB on the link as an example. The wireless LAN is obviously admin by the end users & not by Aramiska so policing this network is a vital point of installing these services & is often something people over look. Aramiska will only talk from CS to the contracted user of the system installed for data protection reasons. The WISP is supposed to manage & fault find the wireless infrastructure & contact Aramiska directly if there is a back haul issue. End users are not the direct contractual customer of Aramiska & we do not provide the wifi network. This is firstly where many WISP go wrong. I noticed you said since one other person in perticular has joined the network you have lower speeds. It might be an idea to check in the Mesh traffic & IP log what this user is doing & as i said initiate bandwidth management on the LAN.

I hope this helps.

Kevin Steggles

Casual Member
Thanks for everyone's help. We don't have a download limit or any internal restrictions, but seeing as they're only 5 people currently on the system, it's not really an issue!

Thanks again.

Anser

What package are you paying for, and if you dont mind me asking, around how much do you pay for it?[/QUOTE]Backhaul 2 megs at 249.00 per month one unit

Marcus Scarlett - Aramiska, Broadband Reality - Area Sales Manager
http://www.aramiska.com, t: 01255 421285; M:07961425990
Garrard House, 2-6 Homesdale Road, Bromley, Kent BR2 9LZ, UK
Technical Site: http://care.aramiska.net

Subject: Up to 2MB Broadband anywhere in the UK

Hi There
Please find below some further information on our service.We are a Broadband Internet Service Provider that offers businesses across the UK the opportunity of receiving broadband regardless of location. Our Digital Two-Way Satellite Service allows all businesses, no matter what size or location, the experience of high-speed Internet.Our Fully Managed Packages include Full ISP services including; Firewall, Mail Server, Virus Checker, DHCP, NAT, Web Cache, 20GB Local Storage, 100MB Webspace, Free 24x7x365 Technical Support, 99.7% Service Up-time, 8:1 Contention and the list goes on. We are also one of the only Broadband providers to allow unlimited connections and VPN traffic.

Our service is being used by both small & medium businesses for their Broadband connectivity but also by larger companies with multiple sites. Satellite technology has developed considerably over the past few years, this development, led by the introduction of a new European Open Standard called DVB-RCS has enabled us to offer a very fast and very reliable solution. Our speeds start at 512k download/128k Upload to 2MB Download/512k Upload with reliability of our network last year at 99.85%, higher than our service levels state.

30 day trail if not satisfied remove no charge

Special Pricing - Rental Package Only

Installation is currently at £250 (was £500)

ARC500 - 512Kbits/sec Downstream - 128Kbits/sec Upstream is unchanged at £199/m[ Now 149/m

ARC1000 - 1024Kbits/sec Downstream - 256Kbits/sec Upstream is currently at £199/m (was £249) - ANNUAL SAVING £600 (TOTAL FIRST YEAR SAVING = £850)
ARC2000 - 2048Kbits/sec Downstream - 512Kbits/sec Upstream is currently at £249/m (was £449) - ANNUAL SAVING £2,400 (TOTAL FIRST YEAR SAVING = £2,650)

Note: All costs exclude VAT at 17.5%.

There are no hidden costs. All packages include the following:

Firewall (Linux IP Chains)
Mail Server (POP3)
Anti-Virus
20GB Storage
100MB Webspace
DHCP & NAT
Web Cache
24x7x365 Free Technical Support and Network Monitoring
99.7% Availability
Contention of 8:1 Downstream and 4:1 Upstream (compared to 20:1 on BT ADSL)
All Upgrades and Maintenance

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Marcus
Technical Site: http://care.aramiska.net
--
Marcus Scarlett - Aramiska, Broadband Reality - Area Sales Manager
http://www.aramiska.com, t: +44 (0) 207 209 7818; M:07961425990
Garrard House, 2-6 Homesdale Road, Bromley, Kent BR2 9LZ, UK

Fudskie

Pro Member
selling

My apologies to you all for Marcus selling etc in this way. I think he is new to the forum & i will educate him on this practice.

Marcus it is me Mark C please discuss this forum & its rules with me before reposting.

My apologies Kitty.

Mark
Aramiska Technical Dude.

Kevin Steggles

Casual Member
Well, I'm still investigating this. The users nearest the actual satellite are getting 1.9mbits with no latency, but I'm still getting on average about 650kbits, with HIDEOUS latency....some webpages are taking well obver a minute to begin to download. This has got to be the wireless network!

jon

Casual Member
Maybe your connection is being throttled by the people running the wireless network. I run a network with 30+ users on it and have restricted all users to 500K.

This has worked well and everyone is happy, in my view it is better to have a slower, more stable connection, as there is always plenty of bandwidth overhead.

Only issue arises when people are heavily using p2p as it appears that the sat connection (correct me if i'm wrong!) has a limited number of tcp connections which is easily reached with p2p and although no bandwidth is actully being used the connection grinds to a halt.

Good test resources: www.bos.speakeasy.net - this is very good and whilst not 100% accurate will certainly show you if your connection has slowed down (or sped up!)

and

www.btopenworld.com/speedtest - download thw 15Mb file and multiply your download rate by 8, this gives you your connection speed. ie 250kb/s * 8 = 2000kb/s.

Hope this helps!

jon

Casual Member
what make/model of wireless kit are you using? Sounds like the link wireless link may only be running at 1mb hence 650K/s with overheads and losses

Kevin Steggles

Casual Member
The bandwidth isn't being throttled as the network is bascially being run by ourselves.

I'm know the connection isn't limited to 1mbit, as sometimes I do get better than that, and people nearer the satellite dish are reporting 1.9mbits with no latency. I'm starting to wonder if it's not simply down to the leaves on the trees disrupting the signal.

It's being looked into, I'll let you know.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2511)
  2. FTTP (2200)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1418)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1099)
  9. FTTH (1074)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (968)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (909)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules