Sponsored

Two glitches with community package

Kevin Steggles

Casual Member
Well, I've had enough now, and signed up for a one-way connection with Central Point, which is giving me speeds well in excess of 2mbits. Whilst I now have to use a dial-up connection to send and this is obviously slow, at least it works and doesn't just sit there for half an hour.

I'm pretty sure the problems aren't down to Aramiska but more to do with the wireless network....but until it's reliable again, it's one-way satellite for me.

TonyBrown

Sorry this is a bit late in the thread, but the problems reported earlier with getting an error page when accessing sites happens here all the time. We have a private ARC1000, serving around 50 clients. No WiFi at all, just straightforward ethernet hubs and switches. We often get pages that won't load, but will after after pressing the IE Refresh key.

When it happens, the error page comes up immediately (i.e. without the satellite delay), almost as if the ARC is unable to service the request. I haven't raised this through support, since the problem is only an irritation at present, and is not possible to recreate on demand.

helper

Kevin Steggles said:
Could one additional person joining make that much difference?.
Yes.

Especially if

a. the person is closer to the wireless mast than you are
b. they are downloading heavily

and

c.if Aramiska use 802.11b which is a much politer waveform - imagine if you will standing in the middle of a footy stadium with 20,000 people shouting your name - while you can hear them clearly - someone who is 5 feet away shouting your name will be heard above the rest - and 802.11b kinda works that way

i've been in situations in my working life where cells have only given bandwidth to 1 person because it couldn't hear anyone else in between the 1-3 seconds spaces transmitted within 802.11b

As for speedtests - i always use either Adslguide's or zdnet's

http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Hello TonyBrown

If you look at fudskie name you wii see he has made it easier for people to contact him. Via msn, ICQ, PMs, or Email I am sure he will reply to what ever questions you raised here.

Fudskie

Pro Member
I cant figure out if i should use MSN or Yahoo. I prefer Yahoo so me think i will use this. Aramiska do not provide any local network hardware / infrastructure, we only supply the backhaul connection to the Net.

robwil

Casual Member
I'm in the same village and on the same wireless network as Kevin Steggles. We're told there's no bandwidth management but at every speed check I'm cruising at a very steady 250kbps.....it only drops below that by about
5 or 6 kbits.........and I'm right next to the house with the Satellite dish, perfect line of site and only about 200 yards away. No leaves in the way either ! My local wisp says it's probably water in the cables. Surely if that's the case and I have no reason to doubt him then isn't it going to happen again ? Any thoughts.....

RoB Williams

robwil

Casual Member
Thanks for your reply Fudskie. Our WISP is Edenfaster. I realise you only deal with the backhaul but any help wold be greatly appreciated. The person who runs Edenfaster has tried everything and can't work out what the problem is. The first computer on the village network, the user with the sat dish is only able to get 250kbits also. So maybe it's a problem with the dish or software/mesh box??????? Help us please !!!!

RoB Williams

Fudskie

Pro Member
250Kbits is that transfer speed or bandwidth.........???????????????

cause a download rate of 250 x 8 = 2MB of bandwidth. have you asked customer services on the freephone number to test the speeds of the connection. This can only be done by the contract owner to Aramiska directly. What village are you in as well. I would suggest they connect straight in to the Aramiska router as they are close to show if it is the mesh box (not my fav item) or the connection itself.

robwil

Casual Member
Fudskie I live in Great Asby, which is near Appleby in Cumbria. I'll ask the contracted person to check again with Aramiska. As for speed, we have a vast improvement...various speed checks reporting an average
970 kbits/118 kbytes. Before it was only 250 kbits download. When we first signed up we got around the 2MB mark and it never really dropped below 1.6MB. Maybe 1 meg is all you can expect from a 2meg package ! Any help in lay terms would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

RoB

Fudskie

Pro Member
The speeds need to be chacked by Customer Services by the WISP. Once this has been checked i may be able to progress you with some more answers. Typically 85% of bandwidth is available during the day as contended at 4:1 on download & 2:1 on the upload. At night i have 3MB as i have a 2000+ community package to myself at home.

I got near 4MB the other night

http://www.toast.net/performance/results.asp?testtype=1&loadtime=0.688

top line my results = 3963
I have this to myself of course using CAT5

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Vodafone £21.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Amazon Echo Plus
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2428)
  2. FTTP (2040)
  3. FTTC (1613)
  4. Building Digital UK (1557)
  5. Politics (1355)
  6. Openreach (1352)
  7. Business (1191)
  8. Statistics (1055)
  9. FTTH (988)
  10. Mobile Broadband (984)
  11. Fibre Optic (948)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (891)
  13. Wireless Internet (873)
  14. 4G (858)
  15. Virgin Media (819)
  16. Sky Broadband (577)
  17. EE (564)
  18. TalkTalk (559)
  19. Vodafone (484)
  20. Security (399)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules