Sponsored

Two ISPs on one line?

Hi - I'm very confused about this whole situation and I'm hoping someone here who knows more than me can shed some light and guide me. Apologies for the long post.

I am currently a customer of Now TV broadband, and I recently made an order to switch to Zen. That should have been a simple process, but for some reason they ended up cancelling my order without my asking, and then when they restarted the order they said they'd have to start it as a "new line installation" since there was "no working line" at the property. This wasn't true though, since at this point, due to the delays, I still hadn't cancelled my previous service since I didn't want to be without WiFi, and it was working fine.

They schedule an Openreach engineer visit for the activation day, 21/09, and when he arrives he says oh yeah, I just have to switch the master socket over from the old provider to the new one. I'm not sure what any of that means but he seemed confident. He did that, then said it would kick in later that day - it didn't. The next day I get an email saying there was an issue with Openreach, they expected it to be solved in 24 hours. Then I call up two days later and they say another 48 hours.

I'm a full time student and I need WiFi in order to study - I'm starting the new term in 3 days. Now, here's the part that might be my fault. I still haven't cancelled my previous service, since I thought maybe if this takes too long I can cancel the new one and go back to the old one, which is on an out of contract rolling basis. However, of course, the old one won't connect due I assume to whatever the engineer did.

At this point I'm left wondering if maybe the system fault they mention is something to do with me having two ISPs attempting to use the same line? I'm really not sure what to do, I just need whichever solution gives me WiFi the soonest. Thanks.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
So firstly, which package/product did you actually take with Zen? I feel like there some key detail, somewhere, that's missing.

I ask because normally when you 'switch' (migrate) between two products on Openreach's copper-line or hybrid fibre (FTTC) network, then that process should automatically cancel your old connection. In this case there would be no conflict, and you'd stay on a single line.

However, if Zen are doing the order as a new line then that suggests the way you placed the order wasn't for a straight migration. Either that, or Zen did something wrong. So you may end up paying rental for two lines and services, which is not ideal (the 2nd line may not be as fast as the first). You can't have two services on one line, hence the new line order.

So firstly, which package/product did you actually take with Zen? I feel like there some key detail, somewhere, that's missing.

I ask because normally when you 'switch' (migrate) between two products on Openreach's copper-line or hybrid fibre (FTTC) network, then that process should automatically cancel your old connection. In this case there would be no conflict, and you'd stay on a single line.

However, if Zen are doing the order as a new line then that suggests the way you placed the order wasn't for a straight migration. Either that, or Zen did something wrong. So you may end up paying rental for two lines and services, which is not ideal (the 2nd line may not be as fast as the first). You can't have two services on one line, hence the new line order.
Hi - yeah, initially it was supposed to migrate from one to the other. However, when it came down to it, Zen told me that their systems (or those of Openreach, weirdly) showed "no active line" at the property. Despite the fact that I was still using my previous WiFi just fine at that point. The customer service rep at Now TV, when I called to ask if that was the case, said to just cancel my Now TV order on the activation day of my new order. I didn't do that though, which I was worried could have been my mistake.
But surely if that was the issue, Openreach and thus Zen would have told me? Instead of just saying they had an "issue" with going live with the Broadband.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Hmm that's odd, you clearly had an active line and so there should have been no need for a "new line" order as part of the migration. I'll nudge one of Zen's people to have a look at this thread.

Hmm that's odd, you clearly had an active line and so there should have been no need for a "new line" order as part of the migration. I'll nudge one of Zen's people to have a look at this thread.
Yeah pretty confusing - thanks for your help, Mark!

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERFALL21
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.00 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00 (*27.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*27.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERFALL21
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3570)
  2. BT (3024)
  3. Politics (1943)
  4. Building Digital UK (1929)
  5. FTTC (1888)
  6. Openreach (1838)
  7. Business (1694)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1480)
  9. Statistics (1410)
  10. FTTH (1365)
  11. 4G (1278)
  12. Fibre Optic (1176)
  13. Virgin Media (1174)
  14. Wireless Internet (1163)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1150)
  16. Vodafone (847)
  17. EE (837)
  18. 5G (772)
  19. TalkTalk (770)
  20. Sky Broadband (748)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules