Sponsored Links

Two VOIP lines on the same network

I've spent three hours on this today and have been forced to put this aside..

We have a VOIP line for home. Works flawlessly.

That's handled by our Huawei B593 modem. Plug the phone into the back of that, put the SIP settings in, works great.

That can only handle a single VOIP circuit, so I bought an "ObiTalk" box to handle a second VOIP connection for my home office. That box plugs into the Ethernet port on the above Huawei modem and registered for a second VOIP account with the same provider, Sipgate.

I thought that the two might "interfere" with each other, but after looking through help guides and Sipgate's instructions absolutely nothing will get this to work.

The key seems to lie with the "User Agent Port" and the port ranges. Both the Huawei and the ObiTalk boxes want a range of ports specified.

For VOIP #1, the working line, the Huawei has the User Agent Port set to 5060. The default port range - you only specify a start number - begins at 50000.

For VOIP #2 I've tried various options and workarounds:

- Specifying a STUN server
- Setting a range of VOIP #1 to 50160 - 50176 with User Agent Port of 50160 - this line still works fine then, and for VOIP #2 50260 - 50276, User Agent Port 50260
- Fixing the IP address of the VOIP #2 box in the modem
- Port forwarding in the modem

The ObiTalk box, VOIP #2 won't even register. The error is server timeout - no response.

Oddly enough if I take that box and plug it into our router which VPN's everything, it *will* register. Though calls don't work.

Though I don't want it behind the VPN as that adds latency hence the reason for plugging it into the "outer" modem instead.

None of the configurations I have tried will work. I suspect I'm missing something quite simple, but all the above tries have been based on what I have read and everything has failed.

Any ideas..

A couple of things have worked for me.

On a network with a router with a broken SIP ALG Helper (A very old BEBox) I had to set the "local SIP port:" (on Grandstream phones) to different ports (Randomly selected, like 4487) for each phone.

I believe that turning the ALG off on the BEBox and on another network I've had absolutely no problems just setting the details and leaving all the "local ports" as the default 5060.

I've also never used a STUN server even on dynamic IPs or NATTED networks. Port forwarding also shouldn't be required. (Although it may solve your problem, it is a bad way of solving something that should 'just work' without the port forwarding etc.).

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Have you confirmed it will work on its own - ie without the Huawei??

You might have just been sent a duff unit.

Always check the obvious first.

Sponsored Links
The box does work - or at least, it registers - when it's put behind the VPN.

It still conflicts though. For instance if you dial out from VOIP #1 you then get told you have no credit. Which is because VOIP #1 is dialling out routing as VOIP #2 which I haven't credited yet.

If you dial into VOIP #2 it rings, but doesn't pick up the call when you lift the handset so the caller continues to hear ringing.

I'm assuming the registration is failing because of a conflict when both are connected to the same modem - sends OK, but doesn't get the communication/acknowledgement back, so the handshake/login process fails.

I'll have another go at this at the end of today if I have time.

Some progress.

Set User Agent Port to 5160 in VOIP #2 device.
Enabled ALG port 5160 in the modem.
Fixed the IP of the VOIP #2 device.
Enabled DMZ for that IP.

VOIP #1 still working fine.

VOIP #2 registers.

When I call VOIP #2 the handset rings.

When I pick that up, the call is silent, and the caller still hears a ringing tone.

So the call in and ring bit works, but there's no voice traffic, and VOIP #2 isn't acknowledging receipt of the call/pickup of handset.

And yet, if I go to the status page for VOIP #2, I can see that it correctly detects "On Hook" and "Off Hook".

So it has something to do with the data "channel" used for the call.

I shall play around with some different port numbers for VOIP #2.

You have a stress doll on hand, for when it all gets too much??

I could have done with one today - had to deal with PlusNet :crap:

After spending about five hours on this, I've had to concede defeat and ask ObiTalk if they can narrow down what might be causing the problem based on the set of symptoms.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules