Sponsored

Uh-oh! Changes ahoy at AOL...

tf82

I just picked-up the following e-mail from AOL:

Dear *******,
We wrote to you in October to tell you about various improvements that we are making to our network over the next few months, and that some of these may affect your service.

We are writing to you now with more information about these improvements:

1. Your connectivity software will be upgraded
2. Your connection will be moved to our new network :eek:
3. The new network - some features that will work differently

1. Your connectivity software will be upgraded
Each time you connect to the internet using the AOL software, you are connected to our network by the AOL Connectivity Service (ACS). We are pleased to inform you that we are upgrading your connection and you will be prompted automatically to install the update when it is ready.
Click here to view the installation screens

2. Your connection will be moved to our new network
We are also in the process of moving your connection to our new network. We have detected that you use a router to connect to our broadband service, which means you will not have to do anything – your upgrade will happen automatically and our new network will detect your connection as soon as it becomes available.

3. Services affected on the new network
Over the next few months, we are planning to introduce several new innovative services on our new network. In the meantime, you can still continue to access your emails and content using the same details as before.

(snip)

Find out more about these and other affected services

You don’t need to do anything - but help is always at hand
All the upgrades mentioned in this email will happen automatically. We do recommend that you also read the detailed information at www.myaolbroadband.co.uk/networkupdates where you can find Frequently Asked Questions which provide more details concerning these changes. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Member Services team at www.myaolbroadband.co.uk/livehelp or alternatively call 0844 499 5555*.

Yours sincerely,
Alain Meric
Customer Services Director
AOL Broadband
(Emphasis mine)

So does this mean I am/we are finally being lumped in with CPW and TalkTalk? Let the flaming and pessimism commence!! :laugh:

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Hmm they don't appear to make it clear, though if it is then I'd probably call them up to ask whether you'll get the -£10 lower rate from being on their unbundled network (BT users being charged +£10).

tf82

Hmm they don't appear to make it clear, though if it is then I'd probably call them up to ask whether you'll get the -£10 lower rate from being on their unbundled network (BT users being charged +£10).
Do you think they'll go for that? I only pay £9.99 at the moment, so I'm quids in if they do! :laugh: ;)

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I had a moan at AOL CS's the other day.

When I asked for my MAC, they offered me a wireless router worth £25. When I said I already had once, they gave me 3mths free access. This equates to £30 as I pay £10 a month.

I cant see how they make any money from me paying so little?

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
It's probably just a way to keep people trapped in a long contract.

3 months out of 18 probably wont lose them much money.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
And they will do that by switching their users to Talk Talk's network? :laugh:

It's probably just another step towards absorbing AOL into Talk Talk.
I've seen a few posts by AOL users who have been switched to TT's network saying that they've needed to further reduce their router's MTU to stop some websites timing out.

Bov

Since introducing a new connectivity service the AOL system is now in chaos with many users, including me, reporting frequent disconnects. Technical Support/Customer Services seem unable to do anything about it. At present the service(?) is not fit for purpose.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
It's about time AOL/Talk Talk permanantley ditched the awful software and instead pre-configure their "free" routers like Sky do.

The software was handy when AOL was dialup only, but now it just causes more problems than it solves.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
It's about time AOL/Talk Talk permanantley ditched the awful software and instead pre-configure their "free" routers like Sky do.

The software was handy when AOL was dialup only, but now it just causes more problems than it solves.
The software must generate a fair amount of advertising revenue, also some people actually like it, although I can't imagine why. :shrug:

I'm amazed they don't supply their routers pre-configured as it would save support costs, if they ever do then I'd hope they wouldn't put the password generating algorithm in the router, which is the way Sky do it :rolleyes:

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
2. Broadband customers only: Accessing dial-up through the AOL software
There may have been occasions where you have accessed a dial-up connection, using an 0845 pay as you go number, which is usually possible using the AOL software. As we mentioned in our terms and conditions update notice, dial-up access to the internet for broadband using an 0845 number will eventually be removed from direct use. An equivalent service will still be possible in certain circumstances if you notify us - for example if your broadband connection fails for any reason.

http://help.aol.co.uk/important-information-updates-to-your-access/article/20071120074009990001

I thought phoning AOL was free. How much are 0845 numbers?

And I got the impression I was reading the terms and conditions update notice. So where could a body find them?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £16.80 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2587)
  2. FTTP (2362)
  3. FTTC (1700)
  4. Building Digital UK (1645)
  5. Politics (1490)
  6. Openreach (1468)
  7. Business (1288)
  8. FTTH (1168)
  9. Statistics (1130)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1087)
  11. Fibre Optic (994)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (949)
  13. Wireless Internet (946)
  14. 4G (942)
  15. Virgin Media (892)
  16. EE (617)
  17. Sky Broadband (616)
  18. TalkTalk (596)
  19. Vodafone (557)
  20. 3G (424)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules