Sponsored Links

Unactivated `3' / EE 5G Gigabit Pole

TeeDubb

Casual Member
Hi,
I live in a BN10 postcode where a shared 5G Gigabit pole (3 / EE) was erected approximately 2 years ago.
I have run regular tests and checked both the 3 and EE coverage maps and it would appear the mast has not been activated for 5G. (I dont even think 4G is working)

The exact same mast model was erected at a BN9 postcode at the same time and this is fully functional.

Last year 3 applied for planning permission (rejected) to erect another 5G monopole in a BN10 postcode approx. 500 metres from the original mast described above which leads me to believe there is a major operational problem with little hope of resolution in the near future for the original mast.

Up until recently I had a degree of 5G signal from a BN2 mast (150 d/l 30 u/l) which was damaged by the storm at the start of November and has as yet not been fully repaired. (now 10 d/l 30 u/l)

There is no prospect of FTTP in the near future and I am over 1km from the VDSL2 cabinet (Aluminium wires!!) hence my reliance on 5G

Can anyone shed any light on these problems?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,
I live in a BN10 postcode where a shared 5G Gigabit pole (3 / EE) was erected approximately 2 years ago.
I have run regular tests and checked both the 3 and EE coverage maps and it would appear the mast has not been activated for 5G. (I dont even think 4G is working)

The exact same mast model was erected at a BN9 postcode at the same time and this is fully functional.

Last year 3 applied for planning permission (rejected) to erect another 5G monopole in a BN10 postcode approx. 500 metres from the original mast described above which leads me to believe there is a major operational problem with little hope of resolution in the near future for the original mast.

Up until recently I had a degree of 5G signal from a BN2 mast (150 d/l 30 u/l) which was damaged by the storm at the start of November and has as yet not been fully repaired. (now 10 d/l 30 u/l)

There is no prospect of FTTP in the near future and I am over 1km from the VDSL2 cabinet (Aluminium wires!!) hence my reliance on 5G

Can anyone shed any light on these problems?

Thank you in advance.

Is it this one by any chance?

Pole erected 20th September 2021, Greenwich Way

Sponsored Links
Good to know I'm not the only one chasing my tail and it really is off line.

I couldn't remember the exact date so thank you for confirming.

The Pole at BN9 (Newhaven) built at a similar time and that appears to be the same model and is working. (Expect it was one of the other poles on the truck)

Is that not also using Huawei antenna's?

I did wonder if it was due to location? It is fairly close to a school / doctors surgery.

I hope the TWO close to me get activated soon, closer to family again and this estate has horrible phone signal

Good to know I'm not the only one chasing my tail and it really is off line.

I couldn't remember the exact date so thank you for confirming.

The Pole at BN9 (Newhaven) built at a similar time and that appears to be the same model and is working. (Expect it was one of the other poles on the truck)

I did wonder if it was due to location? It is fairly close to a school / doctors surgery.
Located opposite KwikFit on the A259 South Coast Road?

That was the second of the three poles that were on the trailer, I drove past the lift later on that same afternoon after my meeting on Greenwich Way. No idea where the third one went...

The KwikFit car park has the best internet connection in the country, well over 1Gbps download when parked up.. ;)

Greenwich Way is all powered up and backhaul was installed a couple of weeks after the pole was lifted into position. If you've seen the local exchange in Cavell Avenue - 350m from the pole - it might present a clue. The building looks derelict and near collapse, the problem may well be there

Yes I concur! KwikFit Newhaven does have a rather `Kwik' 5G service! :ROFLMAO:

I take your point about the Peacehaven exchange but I would have expected the exchange capacity and backhaul to have been checked prior to installing this mast as well as the site for the 2nd (Failed) 5G mast application at Heathy Brow last year.

ATM I am having dreadful issues connecting to the 5G mast at the top of Longridge (Saltdean) after the early November storm. The 3 service status page says the issue is fixed but EE (shared cell) say there is a continuing fault.
I did manage to find after considerable effort that a number of antenna had suffered water ingress and were supposedly being replaced last week.

However, my download at peak times is 1Mb as opposed to my typical ~100mb.
(Upload has remained unchanged at about 30Mb)

The fault clearly has not been fixed yet.
Its making digital life very difficult particularly when there is no admission of fault or accurate information on the actual problem or updates on repair.

Sponsored Links

<incongruous, overbearing and overly dominant in the street scene and fails to integrate into, and take account of, the surrounding environment> :unsure:

Kinda like every other piece of street infrastructure scattered around our towns & cities..

Planning consent for Greenwich Way was granted on condition that the pole was painted gold just like the single lighting pole a couple of metres away !!

That's how mad local planning consent committees are (of course Three/EE/MNBL didn't pain the mast gold)

Emailed Three HQ a couple of times about it because it fascinated me why they would invest a not insubstantial sum in an asset and then not put it into service. Never received a reply or acknowledgement from them.

Are you sure you're connected to Saltdean and not Newhaven Fort (there's a massive Goonhilly Downs like structure on top of the hill), slightly further distant but line of sight from where you are.

<incongruous, overbearing and overly dominant in the street scene and fails to integrate into, and take account of, the surrounding environment>

I know! How do their minds work? It would have looked and was in a similar setting to the Greenwich Way pole. Would it be as overbearing as O2 unit outside the Good Companions Pub??? šŸ™ˆ (I think not!!)

FYI: I run an O2 sim card in my work phone and O2 say 5G is available in Peacehaven from this antenna (Looking at the coverage map) The 5G elements are not even on the pole yet!!! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

My antenna is on the back of our house facing west so `see's' the Saltdean transmitter (CLOS) Also the service status page of 3 & EE says Newhaven is good but there is / was a problem for Saltdean & Peacehaven which ties up with my poor internet connection. over the past 4 weeks.

Just a point of interest: The signal strength has remained unchanged. Its just the download data rate has dropped through the floor.

My antenna is on the back of our house facing west so `see's' the Saltdean transmitter
Ok, that makes sense then, as Newhaven Fort is due east and the 2021 KwikFit phase 7 mast is probably 30m below the horizon from P'haven (60m AMSL?) which is why you can't point your antenna directly at that... shame!

I did manage to find after considerable effort that a number of antenna had suffered water ingress and were supposedly being replaced last week.
Where did you get that information from?

Surprising, because the new Phase 7+ equipment is very nicely constructed with at minimum IP67 ingress protection. Managed to get a whole bunch of photos of the kit lying horizontally on the trailer and it's all super well packaged, organized and cable routed. Saltdean mast is an older design I guess, never seen it up close?

Yes everything on the mast(s) was/were badged as Huawei (except the Prysmian cables)
So judging by the fact that the identical Newhaven pole is up and running, the reason this one is not online has got nothing to do with the fact that it is Huawei kit, which some posters on the other thread were opining...

I also have access to an EE card (via IQ Mobile) I made the mistake of changing the 3 sim to the IQ sim (after paying Ā£20 for a 100gb bolt on) only to find exactly the same issue (Shared masts!! Opps) IQ have a Whats App Contact number and have been far more help than 3. One of their last messages stated the problem was water damage to the antenna which were booked for replacement around 19th November. Unfortunately it doesnt seem to have happened. (If this was / is the actual problem)

If you look on the 3 service status page it says the problem has been resolved whereas EE admit there is still an issue. I suppose if your phone can make calls and you can get some data its good PR to proclaim its fixed. (Not so good if you rely heavily on the data side)

I did also ask why the Greenwich Way pole was not active but they said it was a dark secret deep with the corridors of EE / 3 to which IQ have no access.

Any BT engineers out there that can spill the beans?

Sponsored Links
Feeling a little disheartened at the lack of input from others in the BN10 area as this `new' mast has now been installed for 2 Years and 4 months and is still not activated.
Residents will also be aware that the service from 3 & EE has been badly degraded by transmitter issued throughout November and December which this mast could have aided greatly.
Anyone out there know of a mast that's taken longer to press into service or is this example the current record holder?

Happened to speak to my business account manager at Three a couple of weeks ago and mentioned the pole.

He wasn't aware of the specifics but straight off the bat and with no prompting he suggested it was probably linked to the switch off of 3G services. When pushed for more information he declined to go into detail. So who knows??

There's one near me that's very similar, a 3 monopole at a busy road junction. It appeared nearly a year ago and still doesn't seem to be active, it doesn't appear on coverage maps and doesn't radiate any signal. This seems to be fairly normal.

Good point about the spare capacity unleashed when 3G is switched off but...
a) Then why erect the pole so far in advance of the switch off if its not going to be used?
b) Why has the exact same pole erected at BN9 (2.5 miles away) at the same time as the BN10 unit been working for months?
c) Why apply to erect another `3' 5G pole at BN10, 500 yards away in less than 10 months unless there is a major unforeseen operational obstacle with the first pole?
(The application for the second pole was rejected)

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: Ā£25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5385)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2221)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1589)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1375)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (914)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules