Sponsored Links

Unequal RAM capacity?

tenzilkeli3

I need to upgrade the total memory on my laptop. It has two slots, one is already occupied by a 4 GB DDR4. I can't decide whether I should go for a 4 GB or 8 GB for the new stick.
Of course more RAM sounds great. So my question is, if all other parameters (CL, Freq, Voltage etc.) are compatible with the other RAM and the rest of the system, does it matter if both RAMs are unequal in capacity (4+8)? Does it affect dual channel functionality? Or should they be the same size (4+4)?
Please explain, as a friend has left me confused and web searches don't answer this specific question.
usps tracking showbox speed test

Last edited:
If you want it to run in dual channel get another 4gb stick however it should work fine (no dual channel) with an 8 GB stick and speed shouldn't matter as it will just run at the speed of the slowest module.
P.s make sure you buy so-dimm sticks

I haven't checked this for awhile, but ever since X years ago I recall that you always had to match the RAM sizes or there would be problems. Not just the sizes, but it's also just generally wise to use matching RAM in all respects (CAS timings etc.). Now I don't know if you can today mix different RAM sizes without consequence, but I'd at least try to get a new stick with the same timings to avoid problems.

Sponsored Links
to be honest though, getting a matched pair will avoid problems if there was the potential for any meaning you could get two sticks of 8 or two of 4, generally speaking these days problems are rare but if your upgrading anyways you just as well get the best out of your money.

another point of interest it would be worth knowing what your laptop is, that is unless you know the compatibilities and max memory the motherboard can read.

(when l say "matched pairs" these are sticks that are essentially sold together as a pack that are a matched set be they two or four in a pack, just thought ld add this as a note to yourself or others who may not possibly understand the term)

I have no idea 🤣. When I've upgraded ram before, I have just Chucked it in the PC and hope it works 🤣

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules