Sponsored Links

Unfair contract terms.

We have been with plusnet as a business customer since 2003. We are now in the process of closing down the business so i gave plusnet 30 days notice.

They responded with this
As you have a business account, the contract for this is 12 months. There are currently 11 months remaining of your contract which we require the amount of:

£29.36 x 11 = £322.96

I obviously queried this due to the legth oftime we have been customers and received the following.

Dear Mr Jackson,
The business accounts that we offer all come with a rolling annual contract. Meaning that the annual contract renews itself each year on the anniversary of the date you opened the account.

Regards,
Jonathan Whiting

This wasn't in the terms and conditions when we signed up but they changed them in 2005 and I think somewhere in the pages of gobbledegook it hints at this.

In my opinion these conditions are unfair and I will be seeking legal advice because unless you decide to terminate your contract a month before the anniversary of your first sign up you will be clobbered with exhorbitant charges to terminate.

I will also be contacted Which and watchdog to highlight these unfair condition and to try and prevent anyone else being caught in this trap.

Mike

I would go to trading standards as far as I am aware they can't put you on another 12 month contract without you agreeing to it or a package change.

Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard.... ;)

If you delve deep enough on the Plusnet Portal you will find the T&Cs that were applicable at your particular sign up time, they are somewhere at the very bottom of the current T&C's if I remember correctly.

Take a look, it will at least clear this one up for you.

Just looked, they are at the bottom of T&C's, you just need to click on " legal " at the bottom of the support pages....or this link.

http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html

Sponsored Links
The original terms and conditions were very clear but reading the new terms and conditions it appears that we were migrated over to them in september 2005. The new terms and conditions are as clear as mud but I can find no mention that the contracy is automatically renewed for another 12 months, just that it is continued.

I will certainly be talking to trading standards and possibly taking legal advice from the local chamber of commerce.

Mike

Hi Mike,

We have done rolling annual business contracts for as long as I or anyone else here can remember - I've asked Luke (one of our team leaders) and he says that we've done them for at least 4 years.

Having said this, we've been having a lot of discussion regarding this recently, as a number of people were unaware with the business stance on this, and a number of people, myself included have raised concerns as to the viability of doing so. As such, the stance is currently being reviewed. As such, I would be happy to waive the charges that you will have been levied to reflect your giving 30 days notice, as opposed to 11 months.

Drop me an email (jbailey@plus.net) and we'll sort this out for you.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5505)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2534)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2258)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1969)
  9. Statistics (1786)
  10. 4G (1661)
  11. Virgin Media (1615)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1457)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1388)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules