Sponsored Links

Unlimited and uncensored ISP?

I left BT Infinity 2 earlier this year and am now with AAISP (FTTC 80/20).
BT's censorship was an issue and continuous packet loss affected my son's gaming addiction!
I tried several different VPN's but they always reduced speeds ridiculously low.
While AAISP's product is impressive I have two teenage kids, and two foreign exchange students in the house, all streaming etc, so this gets expensive.
Is there an ISP out there that offers a service that is uncensored and has unlimited data?
Thank you :confused::)

You'll find that most of the smaller ISPs do not follow the censorship approach of the big boys, although admittedly that's often forced upon the largest players (it's rarely by choice). Check our ISP listings (superfast broadband) for some ideas.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/list.shtml

Sponsored Links
one problem l have found tho is the smaller providers do offer good support and much more eager to help with the rare problems that pop up, some services they offer can come at a premium or limited (that said l havent looked recently).

now while most shy away from sky and honestly l hate anything murdoch owned the best service lve gotten is on sky fibre...l have run into one or two blocks on webstores regularly shopped at in the past but lve always found Tor browser helped in those situations, my neighbour is a gamer on the same package as me and has no problems, currently my sister and dad are streaming now tv in two locations and lm downloading at a good a good 100meg a min with no impact on their streaming activities.. so if you can get fibre ld recommend it.. also parental features are optional if you do it locally.. however if you do contemplate sky fibre.

Any FTTC package will allow the same Timless I am on Aquiss never had streaming issues while two other members of the family were gaming. I do know some who are on SKY FTTC and are having latency problems like many with the larger ISPs latency can become an issue in areas over subscribed.

Also to remember the larger ISPs are the ones that will be doing the censoring..

I think that Aquiss meets both of your requirements. Great service too.

Yes I have researched Aquiss and sent them an email asking about censorship etc and they sent me a link to an article in their knowledgebase which reads:

How Aquiss uses Traffic Management
Customers use their Internet connections to access many different sorts of traffic. Aquiss groups these into two types: interactive services such as web browsing, video streaming, Voice over IP telephone calls and hosted application access; and non-interactive bulk services such as news groups and peer-to-peer (P2P). Our aim is to ensure that the majority of our customers primarily using interactive services are not impeded by the minority – a small percentage of our customer base - who are consuming a significant amount of available bandwidth by using non-interactive bulk services. We do this by using traffic prioritisation techniques across the Aquiss broadband network. By prioritising traffic by type we can ensure the delivery of a positive user experience for the majority of our customers. The different types of traffic are given a level of priority that determines their access speed at times when bandwidth demand is high. This means that traffic types more sensitive to packet loss and latency (for example Voice over IP telephone calls, online gaming, video streaming and access to hosted business applications) are given greater priority. We do not apply traffic prioritisation at specific times since congestion on the network may occur at any time. Furthermore, we do not cap the potential speed of any particular traffic type. Rather, we apply our techniques dynamically according to the demands on bandwidth across the broadband network and traffic types are given the highest possible speed according to their priority versus bandwidth availability in real time. It is important to note that this approach is unlike that of other broadband providers. In addition to managing traffic by type, customers can choose either Business or Family packages. Between the hours of 08:00hrs and 20:00hrs, Monday to Friday the traffic of Business package customers receives priority over that of Family package customers. Between 20:00hrs and 00:00hrs Monday to Friday the traffic of Family package customers receives priority over that of Business package customers. Additional measures are used to support our billing model in that customers who have purchased packages with an monthly allowance and who have exceeded that allowance are allowed a further 1GB of allowance, rate limited to 128Kbps until their next billing period or they top up their account, whichever happens first. Users who exceed their allowance by more than 1GB are then blocked until their next billing period or they top up their account. To help customers, our systems issue automated emails to advise them when they are approaching, are at, or have exceeded their bandwidth allowance. Unless we were to be required to do so by law, no service, content, application or protocol is permanently blocked.

I'm leaning towards Zen as they offer an unlimited, uncensored, traffic unshaped, 76/19 service at a reasonable price. There are a few horror story reviews on here, but most are positive. I take the odd few bad reviews with a pinch of salt because by the law of averages all ISP's will get them. I used Zen many years ago before the advent of Broadband when dial up was all the rage, and then I sold my soul to the devil and went to BT for pricing reasons. To be fair I've had hardly any problems with BT over the years but the inflexibility of their service these days has put me off and forced me to look elsewhere.
My work colleagues, without exception, all have the big players for their ISP's and when I told them that my ISP was Andrews & Arnold they laughed and asked if that was a firm of accountants, so to me that speaks volumes for the prevailing attitude of the general public. Why don't people make the effort to look outside the arena of the tried and the trusted? Fear of the unknown maybe, or just plain laziness. Sorry I'll get off of my soapbox now........

Sponsored Links
Yes, Andrews & Arnold does sound like firm of accountants and it took me a while to get over it, lol. Damned good service though with a great online technical control panel (and reassuringly expensive) when I was with them, but hamstrung by tiddly download limits, unfortunately.

Anyway, A&A don't censor and neither do Zen or Aquiss. Zen's reps confirmed it right here on ISP Review the other day:

www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php/33902-Zen-internet-here-I-come!?p=236276#post236276

btw, my service with Zen is about to go live and I can't wait.

l guess lm in a good area.. tho lve never suffered any of the censorship due to me not accessing the sites they block, however lve used Tor to get around external blocks, basically put some websites remotely block based on country and lve accessed said sites by using a tor circuit to access content (namely american shows that they started blocking ppl in the uk streaming).

@kits
actually what l was suggesting was related to data capping.. if memory serves Aquiss did not sure if they still do as l havent been on their site for a while.. l moved from there due to fibre coming into the area and at the time they didnt offer it and when they did my usage limit didnt match what l was willing to pay.

Correct, we don't censor, as we state in the mentioned document I can see quoted above "Unless we were to be required to do so by law, no service, content, application or protocol is permanently blocked."

I'm going to say it as it is, any ISP claiming they don't manage their network is either not being honest or literally has no control of their network in the event of problems. Every decent ISP will be managing, monitoring and taking action of their network, to claim otherwise would be unwise. The difference here is maybe we like to be honest with our customers.

l moved from there due to fibre coming into the area and at the time they didnt offer it.

We been offering fibre services for 6 years, wherever Openreach have deployed. It was never a question of coverage Timeless, but that at the time you left us we were still finalising our uncapped services.

Sponsored Links
l should really take a look again, its likely we are moving soon anyways, the only thing ld be interested in knowing tho is l have taken to crediting my sky account so lm ahead in the bills leaving me 4 months ahead at the moment (kinda giving me enough to sort out a new line when we move an a months net).

i am also considering changing isp. thanks raptorx for letting me know that zen offers without restrictions.

You're welcome ispmate, glad to help. :)

Been with Zen since June now and they've been flawless, with great customer support.

You're welcome ispmate, glad to help. :)

Been with Zen since June now and they've been flawless, with great customer support.

I've been with them since march and I can back up what he says. I've never dealt with them support wise but the service is rock solid. I was with AA as you can tell but again for me the usage limit was a problem. Zen really don't have any limits. I've done more than I have expected to get away with.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules