Sponsored

UPDATE BT Website Flaw Exposed Personal Details

carrot63

Pro Member
We have found that access was gained to a test database and therefore no customer details were revealed at any time.
Sure. Like no one was subjected by BT to illegal covert testing of the phorm system without their permission. Until BT got leaky, at least.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Bit like when they leaked my personal details into Google cache from their forums they keep the name beta just to cover the backs. Since they never apologised to me for this breach I trust their word on leaks with more scepticism than others.

They seem to be in constant cover-up the blunders mode yet still continue down the same path.
Leaks from cookies over all BT.com domains including one hosted in America by Phorm this Leaked IP numbers user names plus more.

BT has to learn they need to gain customer trust which they have lost due to recent events and their silence.

Until BT admit TRANSPARENT means being open and dicussing their mistakes instead of covertly hiding them plus trials then the trust will not return.

johnfranks999

Most companies enjoy “security” insofar as they haven’t been targeted, or had an employee make a human error with catastrophic exposure. Price Waterhouse Cooper and Carnegie-Mellon’s CyLab have recent surveys that show the senior executive class to be, basically, clueless regarding IT risk and its tie to overall enterprise (business) risk. Data breaches and thefts are due to a lagging business culture – absent new eCulture, breaches will, and continue to, increase. As CIO, I’m constantly seeking things that work, in hopes that good ideas make their way back to me - check your local library: A book that is required reading is "I.T. WARS: Managing the Business-Technology Weave in the New Millennium." It also helps outside agencies understand your values and practices.
The author, David Scott, has an interview that is a great exposure: www.businessforum.com/DScott_02.html -
The book came to us as a tip from an intern who attended a course at University of Wisconsin, where the book is an MBA text. It has helped us to understand that, while various systems of security are important, no system can overcome laxity, ignorance, or deliberate intent to harm. Necessary is a sustained culture and awareness; an efficient prism through which every activity is viewed from a security perspective prior to action.
In the realm of risk, unmanaged possibilities become probabilities – read the book BEFORE you suffer a bad outcome – or propagate one.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
Most companies enjoy “security” insofar as they haven’t been targeted, or had an employee make a human error with catastrophic exposure.
well scripted!! sounds like that reply went through a few solicitors before it was posted to make things sound like its ok...

firstly l agree online nothing is truly secure, one can only do their best with the current technology. however in BTs case its the serious lack of training that worries me, l havent once got through to a english person when phoning anyone in BT all have had indian accents.. and lets face it indian call centers are in india because its cheaper to hire them! as such they are given pre-written scripts which leave little room for movement which they wont go outside of and when you have a problem thats not in their little script you get passed from operator to operator generally finding you are none the wiser than you were after speaking to the first operator...

as for BTs system, just like above every time lve spoken to BT their computer system has been down in some way or form preventing me any possible resolutions to problems.. hell the one time an engineer came out to find out a problem with my ADSL he decided to put a second filter on my extension and swore blind that the problem before was because the filter wasnt there...

in any case, before you can stick up for a company like BT you have to think for a little, firstly when running any website you have to put security as priority "1" if your going to write code you have to strictly test it making sure there are no exploitable bits to it.. obviously there maybe one or two holes but generally they dont allow user database access to google!! secondly BT as a company are already planning on making money using the same method the only difference being is they will sell our information to Phorm.. l dont want BS about it being Anonymous because its not, data passed between two computers will always result in some form of logging, and quite honestly l dont want any more advertising.. l see enough crap as it is, even amazons small scale version of this system doesnt give me the products l want!

in any case to sum this up into a point, firstly Phorm previously made money with spyware (this doesnt bode well, and its not like this leopard changed its spots, it just changed its camouflage by hiding between the user and the ISP) secondly all of us with phone lines already pay BT contract fees for line rental and extra for special addons hell they even charge us for calls and for those on BT connections yet more money gets put into them (hell allot of ISPs use BT services to manage their ADSL and lm sure they take some sort of line rental for use of their copper lines) so l ask you why do they need more money? is it to upgrade their networks? or is it just mostly lining shareholders pockets? and do they care that our personal details have been leaking onto the WWW.. l highly doubt it.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2768)
  2. FTTP (2746)
  3. FTTC (1783)
  4. Building Digital UK (1740)
  5. Politics (1662)
  6. Openreach (1619)
  7. Business (1429)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1221)
  11. Fibre Optic (1062)
  12. 4G (1052)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1014)
  15. Virgin Media (1004)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (666)
  19. TalkTalk (661)
  20. 5G (514)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules