Sponsored Links

Upgraded to TT Fibre gfast 150, have a few questions for the experts.

Valleyboy1975

Casual Member
Hi all,

My first post, apologies if this is the wrong forum.

My post is relating to a few things..

2 days ago I had TalkTalk 150 gfast fibre installed.

The BT Open reach engineer came to the house changed the old BT wall socket to a new gfast one then installed the BT GFAST Modem which sits inbetween the new socket and my original TalkTalk fibre WiFi router.
IMG_20200523_094754.jpg
IMG_20200523_094754.jpg

Before engineer left he tested the line (connected to the BT white modem) and it gave 130 mbps speed.

Prior to install I was capped at 40mbps download.

Since he left I've tested continuously, the WiFi on 2.4ghz is only hitting 40mbps, on 5ghz I'm getting 60ish.

Connected via ethernet direct to the talktalk router I'm getting 70mbps

TT have given the old classic give it 14 days to 'settle' blah blah and have sent another brand new super router out.

My questions are..

1- Surely if the engineer can get 130 mbps to the bt modem the TT Fibre router is the weak link?

2- could anyone suggest a new fibre router that can take the TT standards place? Would it be possible to replace the BT modem aswell with one unit?

Thank you for any help!

Firstly, try several different speed testing sites and at different times of day (don't bother with Fast.com though as in my experience it's highly inaccurate).

Secondly, try powering down the modem and router for 30 mins, then power up and do a test after everything is connected (don't do this often, just once as power cycling too often may cause DLM to think your line has a problem and drop the speed profile).

Thirdly, make sure nobody else is using your local network at the same time and that none of your devices have background updates in-progress.

Now I would allow the line to stabilise over 14 days as they say, since DLM will be trying to figure out the best speed. But if after that time your speeds remain below 100Mbps then that is considered a fault on G.fast. Another possibility is that TalkTalk may simply not be providing enough capacity to feed the service in your local area, but if that's the case then it may show up with your testing at different times of day.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for your reply.

I haven't powered the TT router down yet as you say in the past I caused major hassle before as I was powering down several times a day!

The speed check I use is ookla app on my android, I've used a few others and they all seem to be giving me the same results.

The BT engineer turns out he's a friend of a friend, I don't want to hassle him but I have his number.. He did say the gfast is very new to the exchange in my area and only 5 other people currently have it.

I'll keep testing and give it 14 days.

Just out of interest, if I have to go down this route... Is there a branded WiFi fibre router that you can buy that will take the BT GFAST connection straight from the BT wall socket or will it have to stay?

Thanks again

Hi why not post on talktalk community as the staff and other users will help.

As it is a talktalk network

I have posted on there but pulling my hair out, wanted a different view w from people who known what they're taking about.

May be repeating what you already know or have been told..

Always test using a cabled computer.
Test using the ookla installed program; the adverts plastered all over the website can cause performance problems.

Also test at other known good test sites. I prefer http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk

1 Good Speed Test Servers
1.1 <an internal one, ignore>
1.2 https://www.speedtest.net
1.3 http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk
1.4 Ofcom
2 Bad Speed Test Servers
2.1 Fast.com
2.2 broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk
2.3 speedof.me
2.4 Which.co.uk Speedtester
2.5 proof.ovh.net

Wifi, depending on the equipment at either end, can have limitations. I was at an install recently where my 2 year old Android phone got 250mbps out of the wifi yet the customer had a 1 year old iPhone that only managed 100mbps.

(Unusual because Apple stuff tends to come with high spec wifi!.. compatibility problem with the router?).

Sponsored Links
If your keen on a single box gfast modem/router, then there is the fritzbox 7582 to consider. Although it is not widely available in the UK just yet. But if you do find one make sure its the UK spec first.

Just an update, turned fibre router of for 30 minutes, came back up best download 88.3mbps.

TT said wait until New router arrives, try that if no different they will he t engineer to check.

Don't know why as it was tested as getting 130mbps and the new router, surely is same spec as existing.

Anyway weight and see

Sponsored Links
Hi ,
I used PPPoE and connected a laptop direct to the BT Opnereach modem, was expecting the 130mbps and got the following which was a shock!?

Checked with 4 speed check websites and the best I got was,,
56.2 download
31.4 upload

this puts a new spin on things as I was hoping I could show talktalk i was getting the 130mbps that the engineer had before he left.

so does this mean talktalk have throttled it right down?

or problem at the exchange?

the new talktalk router should be here soon so ill stick that in but its obviously going to give the same speeds, then the engineer will be arranged!

gutted!

No talktalk router was sent out... New line test was done just now, its a line stability issue' engineer booked to come out!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules