Sponsored

Upload is faster than my download speed

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
maybe AOL has been to same night school as another well known ISP

RRU have you done the normal checks for viruses and adware?

Any programs running in the background ?

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Hi Kits :)

I use Trend Internet Security and the system is checked daily. It looks like AOL increase upload speed when they decrease my download speed. However, it was never this fast!

I suppose it will allow my torrent ratio to improve on the site I use ;)

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Suppose you are on their |LLU connectioin or the IPstream?

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Your upload speed goes up while your download speed is being throttled??? :D

At a guess, maybe they apply a standard AOL silver throttling profile to limit your download to 1mbps and upload to 448 or whatever.

But when their traffic management system kicks in they apply their throttled profile to both upload and download, only someone forgot to set the upload limit on the traffic managed profile. :shrug:

According to a post on ADSLGuide their new P2P traffic management kicks off on the 1st of next month, although I'm sure I've seen someone posting a week or more ago that their connection is throttled while using P2P - maybe AOL testing :shrug:

Might be worth reading up on talktalk customer's traffic manglement experiences as I'd be surprised if there is much if any difference.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
Same as mine used to be a couple of months ago after 6pm.

They put me back to normal after some of their kit got flooded in Sheffield :mad:

I'm not even going to mention that i'm still stuck on 1mb.... (oops)

tooon

Casual Member
Your upload speed goes up while your download speed is being throttled??? :D

At a guess, maybe they apply a standard AOL silver throttling profile to limit your download to 1mbps and upload to 448 or whatever.

But when their traffic management system kicks in they apply their throttled profile to both upload and download, only someone forgot to set the upload limit on the traffic managed profile. :shrug:

According to a post on ADSLGuide their new P2P traffic management kicks off on the 1st of next month, although I'm sure I've seen someone posting a week or more ago that their connection is throttled while using P2P - maybe AOL testing :shrug:

Might be worth reading up on talktalk customer's traffic manglement experiences as I'd be surprised if there is much if any difference.
Hi could u post a link or pm one to me please about the new AOL traffic managment system. :smilet:

tf82

Oh well isn't that just dandy. I wonder what else CPW can do to make the service even less attractive? :rolleyes:

I mean, they've already hiked the prices for non LLU-customers, introduced a FUP with a measly limit and upped the contract period. I'm amazed it took them so long to roll-out P2P mismanagement actually. Why on earth anyone would join AOL now totally escapes me... It is but a husk of the service it was a year ago. (And it wasn't ever that great!)

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Yep, that's the one. :(

Oh well isn't that just dandy. I wonder what else CPW can do to make the service even less attractive? :rolleyes:

I mean, they've already hiked the prices for non LLU-customers, introduced a FUP with a measly limit and upped the contract period. I'm amazed it took them so long to roll-out P2P mismanagement actually. Why on earth anyone would join AOL now totally escapes me... It is but a husk of the service it was a year ago. (And it wasn't ever that great!)
:nod: And they don't even offer a one month contract to people migrating to them now :rolleyes:.

I guess CPW have to recover the purchase price of AOL from somewhere...

When I joined them last year their Silver package was an absolute bargain, albeit let down by dire technical support. The service was reliable and speeds were fine (once they eventually sorted the mess they made of my regrade to 1mbps out). Then CPW feb came and it not so much went down hill, as took a dive of a precipice :crap:

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
I guess CPW have to recover the purchase price of AOL from somewhere...
According to this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/11/carphone_buys_aol/

Carphone Warehouse has bought up AOL UK for £370m in cash, instantly bumping up its broadband customer base by 1.5 million.

The phone company will put £250m down with the rest to be paid on an installment plan over 18 months.
I work that out to be around £6.6 million per month until June 2008. :eek:

No wonder they are making savings where ever they can....

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
New P2P throttling policy

http://help.aol.co.uk/why-is-aol-broadband-prioritising-non/article/20070927082209990001

Why is AOL Broadband prioritising non-peer-to-peer traffic at peak times?
At peak times we are prioritising non-peer-to-peer web traffic. Peer-to-peer downloads, which are usually downloads for later viewing, listening or reading, will be given a lower priority.

This way of managing the network will ensure that our customers get the best possible internet connection. Please note that most Internet Service Providers (ISPs) already prioritise non-peer-to-peer applications as a means of managing traffic.

Peer-to-peer traffic will only slow down at peak times when our network is very busy.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
This makes no difference to a lot of AOL users. Most AOL P2P users will be having their speed restricted after 6pm anyway.

If AOL want to go some way to heal the damage done by the introduction of the fair use policy, they should stop the post-6pm throttling and just limit P2P traffic instead.

I predict a busy week for AOL's cancellations department... :laugh:

tf82

Good lord could they be any more vague, useless or non-committal?

Can Members track their usage?

There is software available (not from AOL Broadband) which allows you to track your download usage. However, our definition of fair use may vary and it is not possible to indicate any hard and fast limits for you to measure against. There are independent sources that indicate what would typically constitute light and heavy usage.

The AOL Broadband service is unlimited and we only apply speed restrictions when Member usage is very heavy and affects the enjoyment of all Members. This is typically well in excess of what is recognised in the market as heavy usage.

I don't know how they (ISPs in general) get away with this crap. I get that some form of restrictions are probably necessary to keep things running smoothly and prevent abuse of "unlimited" services. But to provide no measure or hint as to the limits is just absurd. To cite undisclosed "independent sources" is frankly an insult. I'm paying for a service, dammit - I shouldn't have to undertake my own research from third parties to establish the do's and don'ts. I mean what are the odds of us working to the same "independent source"? Perhaps I should set-up a site with my own definitions of light and heavy usage, and we'll work to that!?

Sigh.

Markdvdman

Casual Member
AOL are incredibly bad. I eventually had a 'free' upgrade to 2meg. however, they charged me £10.49 as a proration charge! Disgraceful. They ballsed up my charges and caused a bank charge so i have 3 months free at £9.99 a month 2 meg down, 384k up. Once over I am migrating as the tech support have not got a clue. I explained free is meant to be free they truly did not know what to say. I threatened to take them to court due to a breach in t+cs for not stating a charge for a free upgrade. They could not answer me. Stuff aohell.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
I have been upgraded to 2mb, but i'm not aware that they have charged me anything they shouldn't have.

Er, I think ill just check my bank account tomorrow... :laugh:

rruwalton

ISP Rep
My AOL speed is much faster with speedtest than the one featured on ispreview

P2P seems to be getting blocked in that the speeds when downloading torrent files never reach the potential speed shown in the speednet test.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
Looks like you are on the Talk Talk network now and they do limit P2P.

Torrents aren't a reliable indication of connection speed, I never seem to get anywhere near the speeds that some people boast from Torrents.

A good Torrent to test your connection and Torrent client settings with is this: http://torrent.ubuntu.com/releases/gutsy/release/dvd/ubuntu-7.10-dvd-i386.iso.torrent

(although you don't have to download all 4.3GB unless you want too :D)

My HTTP downloads are outstanding though (not with AOL anymore BTW. :laugh:).

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Gift Card
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £21.95
    Avg. Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2620)
  2. FTTP (2411)
  3. FTTC (1713)
  4. Building Digital UK (1649)
  5. Politics (1513)
  6. Openreach (1488)
  7. Business (1305)
  8. FTTH (1200)
  9. Statistics (1141)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1106)
  11. Fibre Optic (1010)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (962)
  13. 4G (955)
  14. Wireless Internet (953)
  15. Virgin Media (912)
  16. EE (632)
  17. Sky Broadband (625)
  18. TalkTalk (609)
  19. Vodafone (577)
  20. 3G (433)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules