Sponsored

Usage Notices

UKFSN

ISP Rep
In response to user demand I have implemented a new system that will send email notices to customers who exceed 90% of their allowance in a month and separately those who have exceeded their allowance.

The usage data is updated at midnight each night and this notification system will run each night at 4am.

Do note that this is not a guaranteed system and you are still responsible for your own usage and monitoring it.

The first run of this system has just completed.

Glovepup

ULTIMATE Member
Do note that this is not a guaranteed system and you are still responsible for your own usage and monitoring it
Is it me that only feels that is a bit harsh, I have never heard anyone else state anything like that before.

Or am i wrong?

UKFSN

ISP Rep
Is it me that only feels that is a bit harsh, I have never heard anyone else state anything like that before.

Or am i wrong?
Who else should be responsible for your usage and monitoring it?

The point of the notices is to provides an additional tool to help users in this - it is not to relieve them of responsibility.

drsox

ULTIMATE Member
Who else should be responsible for your usage and monitoring it?

The point of the notices is to provides an additional tool to help users in this - it is not to relieve them of responsibility.
As someone who has a network in a house with 3 people I find it impossible to monitor use.. having my ISP show me what I have used does wonders (my last ISP did this).

As they use the info for billing it should only be fair that its also available to the customer to help them avoid penalty.

Not many routers support throughput logging and its impractical to run dumeter or similar on computers which may not belong to you [lodgers etc].

My view anyway.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

PokerPlayer

Top Member
Personally i use http://codebox.no-ip.net/controller?page=bitmeter which also allows you to setup an alert for "ISP Restrictions" which will notify you when you get to whatever % of your limit. You can also view useage when logged into your control panel.

Short of coming to your house and asking everyone to stop using the internet because you're close to your limit, what else can these guys do?? At the end of the day, this is an above average ISP with a below average cost...

Kath

Pro Member
I'd be glad of the warning if I couldn't remember to monitor my usage on the portal :)

It's a very generous allowance, so I can't see what the problem is.. although I'm not a massive downloader, I do like to stream stuff like tutorials, clips and radio. If I wanted to get something very large, I would wait until the weekend :)

I'm only having problems with my line dropping.. it's quite poor from what I've read.

PokerPlayer

Top Member
If I wanted to get something very large, I would wait until the weekend :)
I'll bite me lip. :laugh:

Not sure if it's been done yet but ask for "Interleaving" to be enabled. It reduces packet loss and makes your line more stable although it does increase ping speeds if you have any gamers there.

Kath

Pro Member
You did notice that I ignored that comment ;)

/me tips a bowl of wet noodles over PokerPlayer's head :D

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Gift Card
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £21.95
    Avg. Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2620)
  2. FTTP (2411)
  3. FTTC (1713)
  4. Building Digital UK (1649)
  5. Politics (1513)
  6. Openreach (1488)
  7. Business (1305)
  8. FTTH (1200)
  9. Statistics (1141)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1106)
  11. Fibre Optic (1010)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (962)
  13. 4G (955)
  14. Wireless Internet (953)
  15. Virgin Media (912)
  16. EE (632)
  17. Sky Broadband (625)
  18. TalkTalk (609)
  19. Vodafone (577)
  20. 3G (433)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules