Sponsored

USB Modems

freethink

Hi all,

What happened to USB modems, they were a thing mid-00s, but now all I can find are ADSL (Not ADSL2+)?

Following the philosophy of "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." I'd like to remove my modem+router+wifi box and replace it with a USB modem, connected to a small device (RPI, Orange PI, pfsense box).

Anyone have any recommendations, or should I just stick with my magic-routing-box with OpenWRT?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I suspect that market has been killed off by the inclusion of ADSL/VDSL modems into broadband routers, as well as Openreach's original decision to supply its own VDSL modems (now ended) for new FTTC lines. As such there isn't much of a market for USB based DSL modems.

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
USB was very problematic and when routers became main stream with a proper always on connection and the ability to share a connection be it via Ethernet or wireless which wasn't easy on a USB modem.

There was also the speeds that came in to it when 2+ went live in 2008.

I seem to recall with when ADSL Max came out and problems with speeds on the speed touch 330 USB modems.

Verita

"I'd like to remove my modem+router+wifi box and replace it with a USB modem, connected to a small device (RPI, Orange PI, pfsense box). "

I went down this route with my last ADSL providers, on the basis that the Internet says all ISP-supplied modem routers are pants.

It was really an excuse for tinkering, but after rummaging through the 'dead-kit' box and trying three other ADSL2 modem-routers, there wasn't much in it in terms of increases in ADSL speeds or connection reliability.

The 'free' ISP boxes can usually have Wifi and firewalls defeated, so you can attach 'something else' to the Ethernet port and/or run it in 'bridge' mode.

This lets you upgrade the LAN with better wifi/security/ethernet, which stays when/if you change ISP.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £16.80 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2592)
  2. FTTP (2371)
  3. FTTC (1703)
  4. Building Digital UK (1645)
  5. Politics (1493)
  6. Openreach (1473)
  7. Business (1293)
  8. FTTH (1172)
  9. Statistics (1132)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1087)
  11. Fibre Optic (1000)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (951)
  13. Wireless Internet (947)
  14. 4G (942)
  15. Virgin Media (896)
  16. EE (619)
  17. Sky Broadband (617)
  18. TalkTalk (598)
  19. Vodafone (559)
  20. 3G (424)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules