Sponsored Links

USO Launches this week!

Perhaps they would charge you for the cost of launching the satellite?

This made me chuckle....

So, a Starlink satellite is reported to cost about $250,000 (esimated), and the cost of launching one is $15m using the funky SpaceX rockets. based on xe.com currency conversion, that's £11,361,086.47.

The highest quote reported here so far was from @JTScotland at £1.1m.. assuming based on username, that'll be Scotland.

so, in theory, and assuming others in the Scotland area got equal quotes.. only 11 USO quotes required to fund a SpaceX launch and own a Starlink satellite

This made me chuckle....

So, a Starlink satellite is reported to cost about $250,000 (esimated), and the cost of launching one is $15m using the funky SpaceX rockets. based on xe.com currency conversion, that's £11,361,086.47.

The highest quote reported here so far was from @JTScotland at £1.1m.. assuming based on username, that'll be Scotland.

so, in theory, and assuming others in the Scotland area got equal quotes.. only 11 USO quotes required to fund a SpaceX launch and own a Starlink satellite

Do you think if we all added our RGVS and Scottish vouchers together then we could afford our own satellite?
Assume 20,000 qualify for the £5k + £1.5k RGVS voucher = £130m!
I see a business opportunity for our own satellite network

So having a quote of £2k to £5k over the £3400 I was surprised to find my next door neighbour was quoted less than £3400 and so wouldn't have anything to pay! It's only 2m away so that seems like an expensive 2m trench!

Adding an update to my ongoing situation. I thought my ombudsman journey was at an end. However, I think it was just some admin tasks on the ombudsman system which marked the case as closed, then cloned it and set it back up.. which later became active. I have 3 cloned cases, two of which are closed. it's a bit confusing but the important thing is the complaint is still progressing.

The initial reply to the complaint by BT is almost entirely a copy/paste of how the USO from the BT website and doesn't directly address any of the open questions. It also included that if I want more details I need to accept the quote.. in other words, I have to commit to spending £60,000 without knowing what I would be getting for my investment, in order to decide if I want to spend £60k as an investment.

It's on par with deciding to blindly buy "a car" for £60k, but having no idea what you'll get. could be something out of the scrap heap.

I've provided a rather lengthy, detailed response outlining the procedural gaps, cross referenced with the USO framework and will see where it goes. I hope I am pleasantly surprised.. but time will tell.

Did anybody else make any progress via the ombudsman route yet?

and, it's official. I am 100% done with the USO and it's unfit for purpose in some cases.

Ombudsman review and investigation is complete and agreed that BT have provided a detailed quote and have adhered to all the terms and conditions outlined in the USO framework.

So, not being given any details about what your £60k is going to be spent on apparently is detailed. I still feel this is unreasonable, however there are no other options but abandoning all hopes of a USO connection as I've exhausted all options within it's remit.

Also, it would appear that openreach is not considered part of BT for the purposes of USO/Community scheme quotes, and thus are not held to the same standards.

I directly quote:
"
Openreach’s website for Community Fibre Partnerships, confirms that you can partner with Openreach to get faster broadband to your community. While I acknowledge there is a considerable difference between the costs quoted, the document you were sent on 14 October 2019 was from Openreach, not BT. I am satisfied that Community Fibre Partnerships is run by Openreach directly and BT are not involved in this scheme. I am therefore unable to ask BT to explain the difference between the quotes and BT are unable to provide this information.
"

Anyway.. *mic drop*.. done :/

now to wait for LTO to become available and hope it's reasonably priced whilst binning every BT service I have once the contracts are up.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules