Sponsored Links

USO - Obligations for BT?

JTScotland

If I qualify for the USO due to a 0.5mb broadband service & a mast is implemented in the near future with 4G services...

What is the obligation for BT under the USO?

1 - BT direct me to EE and say 'go and buy a router with a 4G broadband service' (i.e. I pay all the costs)

2 - BT buy me a router and some data which replaces my broadband connection (if so, how much data?)

Option 1 increases my costs unless I cancel the broadband service on the BT landline

Option 2 ensures I'm not out of pocket compared to the current line rental/broadband cost

I am in a 4g area but useless ADSL so they did.

Option 3 BT point you to a BT mobile package even more expensive than EE.

Seems they like to make money from non savy customers.

Sponsored Links
I'm waiting for the R100 checker to go live, ditched my 1M adsl for 4G almost a year ago, I thing it's likely to exclude me from anything under the R100 project, so fully expect to be on 4G until the very end of any Government schemes for fibre.

USO is a pointless waste of your time IF you can get 4g at your address Buy a 4G router and wave goodbye to your ADSL, Knock the cost of a copper ISP off the price of a 4G contract.

Of course if you dont get 4G at home you're pretty stuck.

My area missed BSSD but is now in scope for FTTP with BT, which I assume is R100, so try the Openreach fibre checker and then the BSSD checker which seems to cover R100 too. Well maybe just the early ones.

I have a choice of EE/Three/O2 and Voda 4G, 2 wide area Wifi's at 15mb and 50mb but they have still gone for FTTP despite FTTP on D and FTTC being at the exchange for 2 or 3 years so they could have just added extra cabinets.

Not complaining but its a real dogs breakfast.

USO is a pointless waste of your time IF you can get 4g at your address Buy a 4G router and wave goodbye to your ADSL, Knock the cost of a copper ISP off the price of a 4G contract.
Of course if you dont get 4G at home you're pretty stuck.

I'll agree with you there. However like USO, 4g is a minefield.

You really need to purchase a router and then work your way through weeks of testing different carriers to make it worthwhile. Don't make the same mistake I did and think because you get a great mobile 4g you'll get the same on that carriers broadband, you might not.

USO is a complete waste of time in my view. It shouldn't include 4g in its remit because 4g can be so unreliable as a home solution.

Very late response I know but I've been hounding Ofcom/BT for a while on the Contention Ratio issue and finally got an answer... So it seems that Ofcom/BT are aware that 4G Contention Ratio issue. And therefore in the response to Ofcom have guaranteed "Capacity" it allocated on the network to ensure the 50:1 contention ratio is met.
Please see Annex 1 point 1.9 (page 35)

As far as I'm aware BT are the only operator offering this which does at least go some way to explaining their outrageous pricing policy!! Also of note is there is also another tier to their offering not available on sign up £60 for unlimited data. Still 3x the cost of Three but if their network can actually provide me with speeds in excess of 10Mb then probably worth it!!

I've taken the plunge at least for the 14 days so will report back how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules