Sponsored Links

VDSL and gfast 4g fail over service options

Hey guys, I've just learned BT business is selling a 4g fail over product for VDSL and gfast services and I was wondering if other providers do the same. Tomorrow I'll call ICUK to check that as well.

BT offers unlimited data on 4g when the line is down, they plug a usb dongle to one of their routers for that. I'm not sure if it retains the static IP address on a business service.

What do you guys think?

The BT Halo plan (formerly 'Plus') does the same for both business and consumer packages, provided you can afford it.

Other providers, such as Sky Broadband, tend to have something less sophisticated (partly because, unlike BT, they don't own both their own fixed line or mobile network). In Sky's case if you take their 'Boost' add-on at extra cost and also have Sky Mobile then you'll give the mobile plan 2GB of extra data (at no extra cost) when the broadband line drops out.

Similarly Zen Internet's customer charter says that, "In the event of a fault or delay in installation, we will provide you with a free 4G wifi hotspot loan device with a reasonable amount of complimentary data to keep you connected." Whatever "reasonable amount" means. I've also heard of Virgin Media doing something similar in the past.

So the core practice is by no means unique, although ISPs rarely like to shout about it. This is perhaps because they don't want to promote something that suggests their service might ever be unreliable, even though network faults are inevitable in any complex platform.

Ok, it seems all other providers are more reactive than proactive. BT has very aggressive pricing on this, I'm trying to provide broadband and 4g service for a small office but there are no margins. BT still ask the end-user to do all the leg work, I guess there is where they save a lot.

ICUK said they are trying to get mobile providers to give a layers to type of access for them to provide a true 4G failover, but so far no much progress even though there is a lot of demand for that.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules