Sponsored Links

Virgin ADSL cancellation period

Foolishly I signed up for Virgin ADSL on the 11th this month, with an activation date on the 18th. Even though it's now only the 20th I can see what a dire service it is; although my BT line supposedly supports 6.5mbit I've never seen anything over 932kbit download from www.speedtest.net, and the ping times are just awful, so it's been impossible to play XBox Live.

Reading through their terms and conditions, it says you are allowed to cancel your service without charge before the activation date; after this, you are tied into a 12 month contract, and then you're only allowed to cancel if they increase their charges or change their T&Cs.

Is this actually legal? Surely before the activation date you haven't had a chance to see what their service is like, and so even if it's inadequate you have to put up with it?

Even with a mobile phone contract you're allowed to return it for a refund within fourteen days if you're unhappy with it. Do Virgin have an unwritten grace period after you've been connected, or am I now just lumped with it for a whole year?

Frist it is best to start complaining about this to customer services if youi complain hard enough they will let you go without penulty.. We do recomend ppl dont sign upto long contracts for ADSL fro just that reason. Also Virgin(on the rediculous support is premium rate well for cable customers it is,) if you need help finding answers and support try the newsgroup seems a good tech support line has branched into Virgin news group much better than the Indian call center.

plus l bet you are playing at peak times.. the network is known to be unstable at peak times.. l knew even before l joined.. sadly tho users all want to have cheap connections myself included and expect it right there when at any time...

Sponsored Links
plus l bet you are playing at peak times.. the network is known to be unstable at peak times.. l knew even before l joined.. sadly tho users all want to have cheap connections myself included and expect it right there when at any time...

To be honest, I didn't give it much thought when going for Virgin ADSL; I recently moved into a non-cable area and just assumed that their ADSL service would be as good as my old cable one. I don't mind paying a little more for a better service, in fact I'd like to go over to ADSL24 if Virgin will let me leave.

Fingers crossed for when I call them tomorrow.

heh.. l supposed if you had known about this place before you chose to switch you might have gone to a different provider... if l had the money even l would have, might have spent money on my own leased line if l could :D

my brother was on virgin until things started getting laggy on his ps3,he complained and they have let him go,unfortunately he is still waiting for his mac code 2 weeks after he asked for it,he's rung them and they blamed bt,then bt blamed virgin,then he went to ofcom and they said they would have a word, because any request for a mac code from an isp has to be registered with them as well (never knew that!)Unfortunately still no mac code yet.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules