Sponsored Links

Virgin cancellation charge

Hi peeps

I've asked Virgin(non cable) for my MAC code as i've had enough of their poor service. Although it isn't a contract they are going to charge me 50 quid for leaving. This was in their terms and conditions but I think it is unfair that I have to pay this when its their service that has not been up to scratch. Anything I can do to not pay this?

Thanks

Contact Trading Standards, The Office of Fair Trading and or complain to Virgin's complaints handler CISAS. It can be difficult to claim and may take some time but stay patient and provided your case is well explained and documented then you may get some of it back.

Having copies or records of any e-mails or calls you made to your ISP in regards to the problem is also extremely useful as proof.

I would suggest sending a formal complaint in writing with concise details of the poor service you have received to their "Customer Loyalty Manager" asking them to waive the leaving fee because of it. If they reject your complaint you can escalate it to their ADR (CISAS). Collect together any evidence you have such as emails "support tickets", and a record of the phone calls you've made to them (if your phone is with BT and you haven't logged your calls to virgin, you can get an itemised bill with numbers from the BT website).

Virginmedia complaints code of practice is detailed in this pdf:- http://allyours.virginmedia.com/pdf/code_of_practice.pdf

Sponsored Links
Hi peeps

I've asked Virgin(non cable) for my MAC code as i've had enough of their poor service. Although it isn't a contract they are going to charge me 50 quid for leaving. This was in their terms and conditions but I think it is unfair that I have to pay this when its their service that has not been up to scratch. Anything I can do to not pay this?

Thanks

They can't withhold your MAC code while arguing the cancellation fee so at least you will be able to move your supplier. Then you can put your case at a later date.

Thanks for the replies ppl. I will take them on board. Surprise surprise I rang virgin to see where my MAC was as it has been a few days and they said oh sorry theres no record of you requesting a MAC. Such liars. Apparently it has been requested now. Dont waste your time with this company ppl.

l always ask ISPs etc to note the important things on system, along with making my own notes and times of calls.. it makes it easier to keep things like this from happening.. the sad part is the fact that they sell a service they dont know anything about.

Here's the post I did on the official Playstation forums (on how to avoid paying the exit fee). Of course, no promise at all that it will work for you.
I should also point out, when I wrote this there was some shockingly implemented Traffic Management changes in place (not that they communicated this at all) which effectively broke streaming/VoIP/video/gaming (as well as the age-old high latency issue). I think they may have reversed the recent traffic management changes now.

Here's the post I made at the PS forums:

Here is all the ammo you need to exercise your "get out clause" at Virgin Media.

Firstly, you are going to have to get them to admit to changing traffic management. I suggest you use their 'Remote Assistance' feature. This puts you in touch with a 2nd line support person. Not an untrained monkey on first-line support.

Don't fixate on gaming. Say things like - since (approx) Friday 23rd November, I've had terrible troubles getting any VoIP/video/streaming/gaming to work.

Mention that you've heard it's related to changes with their traffic management - can they confirm this? If they do, you have them.

If they make reference to "gaming is not supported", then point out their own Terms & Conditions. State how support (or not) of gaming is not mentioned.

Quote 'Definition 4':
"Broadband Service" means Virgin Media's service whereby you may gain direct high speed access to the Internet via your BT phone line using ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) technology, at the best available Transmission Speed that we are reasonably able to make available to you from time to time according to the Service you have selected."

If they make reference to only supporting web/email, again, point out that this is news to you. There is no mention of that in their own T&C's. State that if this is a new stance, then it constitutes a significant change to the T&C's, and as such gives you an ability to exit (charge free) under H3(b).

Point out that provision of email is covered under D7 of their T&C's:
"provide you with a webmail service"
But, this is in addition to the 'Broadband Service' - which is defined in A4.
And anyway, it also states:
"provide high standards of Customer Support seven days a week, 365 days a year"
and
"provide sufficient access servers to ensure a high standard of connectivity to the Service"
Both of which are clearly in breach.

Now to go for the jugular...

Quote H3(b):
Cancellations and Refunds

"If... we make significant changes to the Services so the Services you are entitled to receive in return for the charges you pay are significantly altered or reduced
you may cancel those Services affected without penalty by giving us at least 30 days’ notice in writing."

So, going back to the admission of change of traffic management.... mention how that's a pretty significant change. And, by their own definition (in their T&C's) that means they are in breach of contract.

If they try to counter by saying that these changes were a mistake, and will be rectified soon, take none of it. Their own T&C's simply state "if they make significant changes" - there is no differentiation between good changes, and c*ck-ups. Only 'significant changes'. Which, by their own admission, they have made. I'd say blocking a provision (gaming/VoIP/streaming) constitutes 'significant'.

NB
Do not be rude.
Do not be aggressive. Take dates/times. Note who you are conversing with. Request 'Receive Chat Transcript' when you are done - and a copy of the support call will be email to you - giving you something to fall back on.

When you can, write to the cancellations dept. State all of the above. Attach a copy of the transcript.

List out in simple terms what you are after - waiving of the £50 'exit fee'. Try going for more, if you can - compensation for loss agreed service.

Be prepared to take them to the Small Claims Court - in which case you can claim for more - loss of earnings (if you missed a days work to attend court), loss of agreed internet provision.

Sponsored Links
virgin media

The head of Virgin Media Contracts is a Anne Curran,and there patments office tel no is 0800 052 0089.
I have experianced a number of problems trying to cancel my Virgin Media,after 10 years with them,Thier service of recent is awefull,and after canceling my DD,I recieved only what I can describe a number of threatening letters,for the amount of £13.85 that they said I owed them,(after ten years of uninterupted payments to them) I eventually paid this amount after Virgin
threatened to send ballifs to my house.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules