Sponsored

Virgin Cap to 80kbps on Non-cable Contract

Borodin

The first thing I noticed was that Internet radio was dropping out on Monday night. Radio takes only about 100Kb/s so I watched it for the evening and phoned tech support later on. "No." they said, "You haven't been capped". I started making the BT speed tests that they asked for, and was getting 17Kb/s to 22Kb/s.

The same thing on Tuesday night. "I've just checked to make sure, and no you definitely haven't been capped." This time I had to make a total of six BT tests at various times of day, and then they would raise a problem with BT. I got 30Kb/s and then 5Kb/s later on.

Today is Wednesday. I have a dozen speed tests in hand. I called Virgin yet again and was told that, yes, I had been capped after all. (Last week's download was 5.49 GB they say.)

Here is what I'm wondering:

• Is it even legal to always hamstring five percent of your customers, regardless of their behaviour, and just because they fall within the top few users? If they don't have a gambling licence it seems a bit iffy.
  • I have spent a lot of time on the phone at 25p per minute and making BT tests at, erm, let's say minimum wage. I wouldn't have done that if Virgin hadn't asked me to. Don't they owe me a pound or two?
  • It's just a bit naff isn't it. The tech people don't know as much as I do about networking, don't know whether or not I'm capped, and can't make any changes even if they want to. All that for £15 per hour.

It's also worth noting that the FAQ that defined Traffic Management has recently dropped the cap rate dramatically. It used to be 512Kb/s for a week; now it says, "Our traffic management solution will temporarily set download speeds to no lower than 80Kbit/s". Here's the link: Virgin Broadband - Traffic Management.

Does anyone have any help or solutions? This is shabby service at best.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
l already knew, was told a while back and have mentioned it here that yes 5GB can get you on the capping list, lve found the net virtually unusable at points however l have found a way to make the net bareable...

altho tbh not many ppl will like my method... l tend not to download ANYTHING hell not even torrents or intensive tasks between the hours of 4pm and midnight, l pretty much dont do anything intensive until after 1am and thankfully this seems to be working. some weeks my speed is pretty good others l seem to be back on the FUP capping list, sadly tho many only have those times to use the net.

Borodin

l already knew, was told a while back and have mentioned it here that yes 5GB can get you on the capping list

5G is fine, and I usually use less than that. And yes, it's a pain to be capped, but as long as it's within the Terms and Conditions I will hold up my hands and struggle with 80kb (that used to be 512Kb) for a week.

But my point is that Virgin are guaranteeing that one in twenty of their customers will be capped this way, whatever their usage.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
supposedly their top 5% are ppl who use over or around 5GB which l fail to believe, whats more lm not even getting 1Meg which makes me think that its even less likely for me to even get close to their top 5%

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.00 (*22.00)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £21.95 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
  • EE £22.00 (*30.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00 (*47.00)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £23.00 (*26.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 920Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £26.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3766)
  2. BT (3075)
  3. Politics (2006)
  4. Building Digital UK (1961)
  5. FTTC (1903)
  6. Openreach (1888)
  7. Business (1737)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1525)
  9. Statistics (1446)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1315)
  12. Virgin Media (1221)
  13. Wireless Internet (1192)
  14. Fibre Optic (1191)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1182)
  16. Vodafone (881)
  17. EE (866)
  18. 5G (814)
  19. TalkTalk (795)
  20. Sky Broadband (766)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules