Sponsored Links

Virgin Media appears to be getting ready for an upload bump

I did speak to a couple of my sources and there's currently no obvious upstream boost on the horizon for 2022, but they might not always be informed about every development.

I also have now got a 3.1 upload channel and an extra 3.0 listed compared to what I remember having. I didn't when OP started the thread as I checked then but have now. Area 31.

How is congestion for you? Been so long since I used VM as Leicester historically has suffered from over subscription on VM, so curious if things have improved.
My parents are in Birstall and VM is awful with evening download speeds often 120Mbps on the 600 package they won’t even allow them to have Gig1 as they know the service cannot be offered.

VM have tried lots of things like reseg the network,lighting more fibre to cabinets, giving the new Hubs that can bond more channels but all to no resolution.

They are very unfortunate that they live on the Gates estate which has over 750 houses which has no FTTC or CityFibre so it’s basically VM or ADSL. Both Openreach and CityFibre have said they are going to put full fibre but are very slow at doing so

What router are those with the 3.1 upstream channels on?

Sponsored Links
I didn't think the Hub 3 could even see D3.1 channel assignments? But I've not had one myself to play with.

Did everybody seeing this change previously also have just the four D3.0 US channels, but now they've got one extra D3.0 US channel and one extra D3.1 US channel?

Does seem a lot to me like a phased rollout, readying the network for faster uploads further down the line. There are too many people seeing it in different areas for this to be the usual localised testing.

I didn't think the Hub 3 could even see D3.1 channel assignments? But I've not had one myself to play with.

Did everybody seeing this change previously also have just the four D3.0 US channels, but now they've got one extra D3.0 US channel and one extra D3.1 US channel?

Does seem a lot to me like a phased rollout, readying the network for faster uploads further down the line. There are too many people seeing it in different areas for this to be the usual localised testing.
I had 4 D3.0 US channels.

One user thinks this is a trial from VM, before proper roll out.

VM seem to have been caught sleeping and are now rushing to stop the exodus of customers to altnets.

A little while ago VM did some work in area 22, TN24 postcode and gained 2 extra upstream D3.0 channels, no extra 3.1 upstream channels though.

1660917086195.png

A friend that lives in the BR8 postcode has no update yet

Sponsored Links
I had maintenance today and now have a new upstream channel

HUB5 does not report if DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 though

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID
04960000047.35120QAM 641
14310000046.85120QAM 642
23660000046.35120QAM 643
330100000465120QAM 644
42360000045.85120QAM 645

Hey all, came across this thred and quite pleased it exists, ive just checked my hub in the Blackburn area, BB2 and noticed that i have no DOCSIS 3.1 Channels for upstream, but do have 1 for downstream, i then went into the more advanced view and it says locked, should i be worried or it that normal? Posting some pics below. I do have my hub in modem mode as i use my own Asus RT-AX82U router
Screenshot 2022-08-31 113453.png
Screenshot 2022-08-31 113513.png

should i be worried or it that normal?
Completely normal

What we're looking at is the extra DOCSIS3.1 upstream channels, the reason this has sparked interest is it'd give each customer more upstream bandwidth available (more upload speed)

What you have there is totally normal. (See other images in the thread to see "Locked" for example). You are unfortunately in the same boat as me currently :)

edit: looks like some people are getting an additional 2x D3 channels or 1x D3.1 channel, interesting. I'm still not expecting miracles...

Completely normal

What we're looking at is the extra DOCSIS3.1 upstream channels, the reason this has sparked interest is it'd give each customer more upstream bandwidth available (more upload speed)

What you have there is totally normal. (See other images in the thread to see "Locked" for example). You are unfortunately in the same boat as me currently :)
Okay lovely thanks for replying Matt, appreciate it :) Im very keen for more upload speed, so have been keenly watching this and other spaces

If VM do bump upload, I wouldn't expect a huge hike. I'm only expecting them to move in line with BT (~110mbit up) though difficult to tell how much they'd get from the channels people are reporting.

If VM do bump upload, I wouldn't expect a huge hike. I'm only expecting them to move in line with BT (~110mbit up) though difficult to tell how much they'd get from the channels people are reporting.
Oh id be very pleased with that, double the upload speed will suffice for the services i run at home, media stuff and games servers

just my speculation I'm afraid based on what's sensible :)
This is VM .... might not be a sensible reason or outcome.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules