Sponsored Links

Virgin Media fair usage policy

I called Virgin Media this morning and spoke to one of the sales guys as I’m looking at changing over to Virgin 152Mbit cable service I had a list of questions and one of the question I had was on the fair usage policy that I know a lot of ISP now use.
The sales guy told me if I exceed 10GBs of downloads in peak time that I would be capped as I’m quite a heavy user of the internet this was really a show stopper for me as most of the time I could live with in this limit some days I would easily go over 10GBs in a day or rather in Virgin Medias peak times. After I told the sales guy this would not work for me he suggested I read the terms and conditions & fair usage policy of Virgin Media website i done a search on virgins site and from what I can see this only applies to uploads, downloads are not affected at all. Is this correct.
Am I right in saying I can download as much as I like with no slow down but will be restricted if I upload to much?
If so this will still work for me.

One question I forgot to ask the sales guy if the above is correct when installing im guessing RJ45 socket or whatever they use to get the fibre connection in to my property do they install where I want the connection to be as I have an old Telewest phone socket in the worst place possible and approximately 2 meters away from this connection I have my home network, switch, patch panel so obviously I’m going to want the connection in the same place, this is on the same wall and the other side of this wall is my driveway so no problems with access to it just wondering as I had a bit of a nightmare when BT installed a line for my Current ADSL connection.

We have had cable at three different properties. Only one of them had a pre-existing installation. In all three cases we were able to choose the locations of the various sockets - for instance, at the property that already had the TV socket, we were able to ask for another socket to be fitted in the room where the computer was used, for broadband and this was put in as part of the installation without quibble.

That said, times may have changed, because now, unlike then, so many places already have the sockets preinstalled that VM has a high-street presence "take it home today!" [and just plug it in] and so they may not be as flexible - you could/probably should verify beforehand.

Sponsored Links
hi all thanks for your replies. i have changed over to virgin earlier this week and they installed the connection where i wanted it. Initially all was good until i went onto youtube and noticed the other day it was a little slow and now is more or less unusable. just spoke to the technical support who told me it was a problem with youtube! unfortunately for virgin i still have my old isp connected so just swapped the lead over to plusnet and released & renewed my ip address and the problem with youtube goes away im guessing im not going to get very far with virgin and the youtube problem but from a plus point my problem i was having with plusnet has gone away!

hi all thanks for your replies. i have changed over to virgin earlier this week and they installed the connection where i wanted it. Initially all was good until i went onto youtube and noticed the other day it was a little slow and now is more or less unusable. just spoke to the technical support who told me it was a problem with youtube! unfortunately for virgin i still have my old isp connected so just swapped the lead over to plusnet and released & renewed my ip address and the problem with youtube goes away im guessing im not going to get very far with virgin and the youtube problem but from a plus point my problem i was having with plusnet has gone away!

Nothing to do with fair use policy VM have a problem with Youtube read about it all in the news.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...it-by-youtube-video-buffering-woes-again.html

just spoke to the technical support who told me it was a problem with youtube!

In fairness, that's better than their usual reply of "try rebooting your router" or "it's a problem with your computer" :). At present Virgin appears to have a specific problem with YouTube, but it appears to rest with their own network and not so much YouTube because the latter works fine when you circumvent Virgin's cache servers.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules