Sponsored Links

Virgin Media Landline Architecture

Does anyone know how the current Ex-Nynex Coax Virgin Media in an ex-Cable & Wireless are would route and facilitate it's landline service ? Openreach say Virgin is nothing to do with them as it's a totally sperate network of cables, granted, but the landline part of a virgin bundle is still PSTN, right ? Or is it some other system ? If it's part of the Openreach network does that mean Virgin have their own native voice line cards in the MDF ? Or do they use the BT WLR3 PSTN network and call their service SMPF ? The bill is never split between Virgin & BT it all goes to virgin so I can only assume it isn't 'SMPF' so does tat mean it's MPF ? Can find any info about this anywhere.

Cheers.

If VM are using LLU (must be rare now) they can continue to use that until the copper network is retired (2030). LLU is via a specific frame which has ties to the MDF to pick up the external line.

If they are using WLR for their business customers they will need to adhere to BT targets for PSTN closure.

VM have been selling cloud VoIP for many years and for consumers voice has been provided by their router since the Hub 3 with all new orders for the last few years on Hub 3, 4 or 5..

It is BT's PSTN that is closing by December 2025. Other providers have their own timescales and some are still selling LLU lines. However as BT's PSTN is closed interconnectivity may be lost in some cases and it may be in the providers interest to follow.

A ramp up of all ISPs transferring Landlines to VoBB/VoIP is underway and will come either with geographical program, FTTP or renewal of DSL contracts. There will be OR exception products for lifts/vulnerable etc. well past December 2025 that use the line but not the PSTN.

The consumer demand for fixed voice lines and call use continues to decline so the old equipment will become uneconomic to continue with regardless of provider.

As far as I know in almost all cases where the VM analogue phone is delivered alongside their co-ax from one of their street cabinets, the cable path and dial tone for the analogue phone is completely separate from anything OpenReach.

There will still be a few customers no doubt with VM on OpenReach WLR services but I can't imagine there are many left now.

Reactions: DJG
Sponsored Links
There will still be a few customers no doubt with VM on OpenReach WLR services but I can't imagine there are many left now.
Didn’t VM ditch their national service YEARS ago? They used to do an ADSL broadband and Openreach landline service but sold their customers off to a mix of TalkTalk and Fleur Telecom.

As far as I know. Every single customer they had on this system was given the boot about 9-10 years ago now.

Everyone with VM right now should be connected directly to VM infrastructure.

Does anyone know how the current Ex-Nynex Coax Virgin Media in an ex-Cable & Wireless are would route and facilitate it's landline service ? Openreach say Virgin is nothing to do with them as it's a totally sperate network of cables, granted, but the landline part of a virgin bundle is still PSTN, right ? Or is it some other system ? If it's part of the Openreach network does that mean Virgin have their own native voice line cards in the MDF ? Or do they use the BT WLR3 PSTN network and call their service SMPF ? The bill is never split between Virgin & BT it all goes to virgin so I can only assume it isn't 'SMPF' so does tat mean it's MPF ? Can find any info about this anywhere.

Cheers.
They are busy converting any existing PSTN customers to Hub over COAX or FTTP.

If it isn't going into the Hub that provides your broadband your copper goes to a powered MSAN in the street which provides the dial tone, etc. The MDF is within that cabinet as is the chassis and voice line card. From there it goes across a legacy SDH/PDH voice network via its own fibre ring: the MSANs are in an optical ring, the cable broadband/TV nodes aren't.

Doesn't go near the Openreach network.

Didn’t VM ditch their national service YEARS ago? They used to do an ADSL broadband and Openreach landline service but sold their customers off to a mix of TalkTalk and Fleur Telecom.

As far as I know. Every single customer they had on this system was given the boot about 9-10 years ago now.

I tripped up over a business customer with a Virgin Media WLR analogue phone and ADSL with an active service just under two years ago. I switched them to voipfone ;)

I agree that they are probably rare but maybe not impossible they exist still.

Sponsored Links
While the cabinet is damaged.. you can see the telephone exchange equipment on the right of the front two bays. In the middle.

EDIT: Balls.. looks like the links become invalid after a short time. Have a look at

Has a load of line card slots and empty expansion slots for more and multi pair cables going off to the punch down connector frame on the right.

Another of the same but has two voice frames at the middle location on both the left and right bays..

Another photo showing a different setup with a Mileage box (usually DSL gateway! But as far as I can tell it also has a voice mode?). The bundle of multiple white cables goes off to the punch down connector bay off camera to the right end of the cabinet.

Another type of cabinet which seems exclusively for voice.. in a very built up high housing density area.

Last edited:

Residential yes. They still serve business/enterprise customers via Openreach infrastructure, however I assumed OP was referring to those covered by the legacy cable network.

While the cabinet is damaged.. you can see the telephone exchange equipment on the right of the front two bays. In the middle.

EDIT: Balls.. looks like the links become invalid after a short time. Have a look at

Has a load of line card slots and empty expansion slots for more and multi pair cables going off to the punch down connector frame on the right.

Another of the same but has two voice frames at the middle location on both the left and right bays..

Another photo showing a different setup with a Mileage box (usually DSL gateway! But as far as I can tell it also has a voice mode?). The bundle of multiple white cables goes off to the punch down connector bay off camera to the right end of the cabinet.

Another type of cabinet which seems exclusively for voice.. in a very built up high housing density area.

Wow, not seem some GPT C-MUX kit since the 90's!

Sponsored Links
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £24.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5388)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2222)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1591)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1376)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (916)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules