Sponsored Links

Virgin Media - Need help with an issue currently having

StormW4tch3r

Casual Member
Hi all, I seem to be having an issue with Virgin Media, it's been ongoing for a year a one month, I am having packet loss in the evenings from 5 ~ 9 pm most nights sometimes during the day (issue intermittent), I've had about 6-7 techs out, and they don't seem to find any issue, recently, I have had a cable re-pull, new cable from socket to the router, new isolator on cable to hub and issue still present, here are two forums post I have done regarding the issue https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Packet-Loss-SO19/td-p/4260311 and https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Upstream-noise-again/td-p/4678894 each time I ring tech support, they say there is no issue when it's happening, today I phoned up and they said its a bandwidth issue as I'm using too much, yesterday it happened my pc was only one on and had nothing open and it was doing, i have no idea what else to do as i believe tech support don't believe me, recent complaint i done via Virign Media said to upgrade package but i don't see that helping as it does it when no one is actually using the net as well! i was wondering if someone could help me to get this issue sorted or get Virgin Media to believe that there is an issue.

Current ping graph

Packet loss in the evenings (when Internet usage is typically at its highest) is symptomatic of congestion.

It's not unique to VM or you and some ISPs just see it as 'one of those things' as opposed to a fault. It shouldn't cause any issues with applications using TCP but I can sympathise if you use VOIP and/or stream using UDP.

Hi Brumski, the tech checked with networks number of times they were here and said there was no congestion/high usage in the area

Sponsored Links
Hi Brumski, the tech checked with networks number of times they were here and said there was no congestion/high usage in the area
What tech support say and reality are sometimes not aligned mate.

The evenings, even in these strange times, has always been historically the busiest time of the day for Internet usage and those ISPs who have a habit of oversubscribing their service sees packet loss as a result.

I had the same with Vodafone (fixed line) for the best part of a year before I moved to a new ISP.

That being said I'm not an expert on the nuances of DOCSIS so someone else may have an opinion.

Well just been on phone with them again, he's checked with networks and said no issue in my local area though I'm still dropping packets intermittently but not as bad as Sunday was, they still can't pick an issue on the line, they going to send a tech out again, but late as possible one, I'm not holding my breath. I just wish it would be sorted.

Certain big ISPs have a history of denying local congestion or other connectivity problems, often for many months, until a suitable volume of complaints has amassed that they can no longer ignore it. The classic "upgrade your package" suggestion is also quite common and often doesn't resolve anything.

Having said that, it's worth trying to keep an eye on your network traffic to see if any background tasks (software updates etc.) might be running when you do the tests. Likewise, I know the HUB 3.0 router has a history of latency problems, which was more suppressed than fixed a couple of years back. Perhaps querying whether having that replaced with the HUB 4.0 might help is something worth trying (I am assuming you're already on the HUB 3.0 here).

Hi Mark thanks for reply, the fact the issue has been on and off for over a year, with still no fix, issue still happens when no one is connected to the router, it happened while in modem and router mode as well, and I am already using the Hub 4, I've had 3 replacements since having the gig1 trial back in 2019 i think it was.

Sponsored Links
Typical of Virgin media, massive over utilisation. This is why I gave up and left them after 15+ years, their download speeds great but massive latency issues pretty much all the time so I'm on fttc now at a quarter of the speed but with excellent latency which im happy about.

If i could go else where i would, but i'm only stuck with VM as they can only provide fastest here, other then AdSL+2 which is only 15Mbps, not ideal when there is 3 of us in the house, me being gamer, and other two watching netflix etc, Toob is working in my city, but i'm still in design area

Can you explain what problems the packet loss is actually causing you? And which apps you’re testing the line with?

Is it just something you’re seeing on Ookla app and not happy about it? Is it causing you any actual detriment?

It’s common as Mark says for companies to decline any issues unless a certain number of customers complain about the same thing and it is raised in the same manner.

You might be seeing packet loss but no other local customers, or very few, are actually having a problem with it.

If it is actually causing harm or significant issues in your household; ask to leave penalty free, raise a complaint and take it to the ombudsman.

Otherwise, it’s just something you’ll have to put up with seeing.

Packet loss is in the evening from 4pm-10pm, it does it with or without anything connected to the router, does it in modem mode as well with a diff router connected, if i'm playing game i would drop the connection as the packet loss get's that bad, or in discord my voice would sound like a robot, youtube or netflix and twitch would buffer, upstream modulation would flap from 64qam to 32 and 16 sometimes 8qam as well, but yeah it is effect anything in the evening, gaming, watching, etc also i am connected by ethernet, and effect wifi too

Sponsored Links
Does it continue to do so when connected via Ethernet cable and not wifi?

Have you also checked that it’s not your hardware causing the issue by either a new wifi card/receiver/power line adapter?

Any other software/antivirus/torrents running in the background that shouldn’t be?

Does this also happen with other computers in the house or just yours?

It does it on both ethernet and wifi, ping graph on think broadband shows packet loss in the evenings, https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broa...ee6f7fa726628a3cfd552084103824-15-06-2021.png though yesterday won't as bad but its still there, there only me on in the evening when it happens, my wifi card isn't being used on my pc, but mum laptop see's it and no receiver or power line adapter, nothing running in background on ether devices, as stated it does it on laptop as well

Packet loss is in the evening from 4pm-10pm, it does it with or without anything connected to the router, does it in modem mode as well with a diff router connected, if i'm playing game i would drop the connection as the packet loss get's that bad, or in discord my voice would sound like a robot, youtube or netflix and twitch would buffer, upstream modulation would flap from 64qam to 32 and 16 sometimes 8qam as well, but yeah it is effect anything in the evening, gaming, watching, etc also i am connected by ethernet, and effect wifi too
Typically the times for congestion to occur ie when kids finish school, people finish work.

I’d take the formal route and keep complaining or keep getting sufficient evidence and head to Ofcom once you receive a deadlock letter/formal response.

Also worth checking if any mobile networks ie Three (smarty), Vodafone (Voxi/Talkmobile/Lebara), or O2 (giffgaff) are viable options, you can order some for all the above, some come with 14 day cooling off periods.

Vodafone and O2 generally find an unlimited deal for £25 or less. Smarty is £16pm unlimited data if you look about.

Might work better than your current situation.

I do a have a complaint on going with VM regarding it, there resolution was to change package i was on, so i escalated it to Manager, but keep getting told they will ring you in x days but never happens, but refuse to transfer me to a manager

I was lucky enough to have had the price increase letter which got me out of my contract with them thankfully. My graphs looked exactly the same as yours. The connection was extremely bad for online gaming, constantly packet loss at any time of the day.
My next door neighbour is having the same trouble and cant get out of his contract

Sponsored Links
Just ask for your deadlock letter and refer it to the ombudsman. Your complaint also needs to be responded to fully within 8 weeks, and if it’s not, you can go straight to the ombudsman at that stage.

Sounds like it’s just unfortunate for your circumstances. Hopefully some other ISP provide FTTP to your area soon enough.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules