Sponsored Links

Vispa Email Server - Back to the bad old days

In recent weeks I have noticed a LOT of failed attempts to contact the email servers, sometimes for a whole weekend, but currently, not only has email been intermittent ALL WEEK; but now there is an invalid (fake) site certificate as well!! Avast has been throwing me warnings for over 48 hours, but despite contacting support twice, all I have had back is an automated reply.

It is now the 18th, and although I am no longer getting the fake site cert warnings, I am still not getting any connection!!!

To make matters worse, Vispas "Webmail" access page does not offer junk mail filtering, so I have to trawl through the crap to find any valid messages.

Personally I steer clear of linking my e-mail to a specific ISP and have used webmail from the big providers. Why have you stuck with Vispa?

Sponsored Links
Because other than the email issies they have been a good ISP; I DO have several gmail accounts, but I tend to feed them through the Vispa one as it makes checking my email easier (when it works!!)

Vispa are now saying there are no problems, so why does every other email account I have work, yet the Vispa one hasnt connected successfully since last week??

PS, after a hiatus of 10-12 hours, the fake site cert warning from Avast! is back; I have sent screen shots to tech support, lets see what happens, it is a new guy answering the emails (at last), so we will see how good he is.

After a short burst of connectivity yesterday I have had no email connection since at least midday today; I am SERIOUSLY considering changing providers now, even though it will cost me a lot more for calls to China unless I go down the Lyca mobile route.

Pete is trying to blame Avast!, but even with it disabled I get no access, and yet I am having no real problems with accessing Yahoo or Gmail servers.

20 hours since the last successful pop3 connection, and now even their own webmail has stopped working!!!

I know that yesterday there were problems because of a server move, not sure about today though.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mark, you know more than me, and I have been complaining for nearly a week!!!

3 emails got through to me some time this morning, but I have a whole host of failed connection errors from 8:30 am onwards, on top of all the ones from noon yesterday up until 8:30am this morning.

Currently working, but from the performance over the last few weeks, I wont bet on it working for the entire weekend.

I don't know if the server move would have affected email though. The last officially notified POP related issue was at the end of last month and they never updated the status page on that. Bit sloppy of Vispa.

http://helpdesk.vispa.net/

There have been LOADS of problems not notified in the last year or two; I had no internet for nearly two weeks, and Vispa telling me there was nothing wrong the whole time - it turned out to be duff equipment at the exchange. Last year I had several incidents of no internet for 1-3 days and each time I was told the "computer says no {problem}", only to find out later that there was (usually by buttonholing the BT engineer who turned up to fix it).

The 2 week hiatus cost me £90 for a mobile internet dongle and £40 for a new ADSL router, as they INSISTED they could see me connected, and that therefore the fault was with my equipment.

Maybe it's time you swapped ISP :)?

Sponsored Links
I have already been checking out the"Top 10"; any other recommendations for a phone and internet bundle?? I dont have or want Sky TV and I dont have cable as an option.

Xilo dont offer the service in my area.
AAISP apparently dont offer a bundle.
Fast have too many bad reviews, despite getting a high score.
ZEN are a possible.

That is as far as I have got so far, I will keep looking this evening; after work.

Cap'n - to avoid me feeding you a large tin of John West (it's supposed to be red salmon, but in view of the horsemeat saga it's probably herring), as one of your main concerns is the cost of calls to China, are you paying 5p + VAT per minute, the price in Vispa's "Home Saver" list, or are you getting some rock-bottom rate using their VOIP "Vispa Talk" thingy, the rates for which appear to be unavailable except to logged-in customers so I've no idea what they are.

5p, I do have the VOIP option, but have never been able to get it working, cost would be 2-3p , so no big loss.

Interestingly, the 5p seems to be landline AND mobile.

My mother is with Plusnet, and although she is only 200-300m along the road, she only gets 2Mb, with PN blaming this on congestion at the exchange. Strange, I am on exactly the same exchange and get 6.5Mb with MUCH older wiring.

Captain_Cretin said:
5p, I do have the VOIP option, but have never been able to get it working, cost would be 2-3p , so no big loss.

Interestingly, the 5p seems to be landline AND mobile.

OK then, in that case, it might be worth you considering whether a "bundle" is really advantageous or whether phone and internet separately might be better.
http://www.icukhosting.co.uk/telecoms/line_rental_pstn.asp
Line rental £9.85 + VAT = 11.82
http://www.icukhosting.co.uk/telecoms/talk_overview.asp
China day/evening/weekend 2.39/2.1/2.04 + VAT = 2.87/2.52/2.45

Then just add any BT landline-based ISP you like - Xilo, AAISP, Zen (the three you mention), whoever. Personally, having started off using them just for the phone, I use ICUK for the internet too these days and don't have any complaints, but I appreciate that their packages might not be what you're looking for - just go for whichever ISP you feel is best for you.

Sponsored Links
I look for a package that avoids me having to deal with BT; BT are on my **** list since cutting me off while I was away on holiday for 12 days!!!
The bill arrived just as I was leaving for the airport - I was locking the front door when the postie arrived.

According to the date stamp on the envelope, the "FINAL DEMAND" arrived 2 days later!!!

Finally, the date on the letter advising me I was being cut off was 5 days after that, so just over a week from the first bill to disconnection.

I was in deadlock with BT for nearly a YEAR over this; eventually I paid the bill (but not the reconnection charge), and signed up with Vispa. You can imagine what I say if a BT cold caller tries to lure me back.

Can I tell you a secret??

Although they cut off my phone, the internet still worked for all that time!!!

I look for a package that avoids me having to deal with BT
:confused: :confused:
...and I don't blame you - but if you used ICUK for line rental and calls, plus (say) Zen for the internet, you would *not* have to deal with BT. In the same way that you currently contact Vispa if your phone's up the creek, you would contact ICUK if your phone's up the creek.
As far as the BT angle is concerned, it's really no different to going for Zen's Broadband + Home Talk "bundle", it's just the pricing that you need to look at - your line rental would be 60p more than Zen's £11.22, but your Chinese calls would be a darned sight cheaper.

Unless you're thinking of something like Zen's "Home Talk Plus", with its inclusive calls offering, which ICUK don't have anything comparable to, where's the advantage in having phone and internet both with Zen (or whoever) rather than using two suppliers?

Sorry, but I don't understand this (widespread, it's not just you) obsession with the so-called "bundle", as if it's *automatically* the best option - if taking both from the same supplier means that you're getting a massive tenner off the line rental or something, fair enough, otherwise, as everyone has a different usage pattern, sit and work out what is actually best in terms of your own personal needs.

@ setupcustard.

Thank you for those links, the China call pricing is VERY interesting.

Have you looked through the list ?? "Bulgaria Special Services"; arent they the people the KGB use for "Wet Work"??

"Bulgaria Special Services"; arent they the people the KGB use for "Wet Work"??
:laugh:
I confess that I hadn't noticed that one!

I make very few phone calls (none at all in some months!), and apart from one unusually busy month when they came to £4.56 my call charges are never more than £2.50, usually a lot less - the only places outside the UK that I'd looked at prior to you mentioning your Chinese calls were USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, all of which are on my "possibly once in a blue moon" list if I feel that, say, a quick phone call to the New South Wales Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages might clear something up quicker than sending an e-mail.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules