Sponsored Links

VM XGS-PON or Openreach FTTP

Kris_

If you had the choice of VM’s new XGS-PON service ot an Openreach FTTP connection which would you go for?

I’ve just signed up for Openreach (EE) gigabit connection as it became available to order but VM should be available soon too.

I had already decided to go with ever was available first as they’re similar but a part of me says I should have waited.

VM is a technically superior connection today at 1130Mbps and also capable of higher speeds. However it isn’t yet available from anyone other than VM as the have no wholesale partners.

Let me know your thoughts - or rather reassure me that I picked the right option :)

Openreach FTTP Without hesitation.

VM Is an absolute nightmare to deal with. Whether it's their disgusting customer service, the hassle with retentions to get a good deal at the end of the contract, the price increases, downtime, or fact that you're forced to use their hub (Their XGS Hub still doesn't even have modem mode yet either AFAIK) it's just a painful experience from start to finish. There's not much that's good to say about them.

Also remember that EE are Openreach are now doing 1.6Gb speeds should you really need it. This beats the 1.1Gb speeds of Virgin.

The Openreach line tends to be more reliable and makes it much easier to switch from one ISP to another since there's many other Openreach based options out there. By picking EE you are also going to have a much better experience with their UK based customer service as well.

Well, it does partly depend on which ISP is using Openreach. Also it's worth bearing in mind that VM does't (yet) offer recordable TV or landline on its XGS-PON.

Sponsored Links
I'd have no issues using the Nexfibre network providing I was interacting with a competent company, which isn't an option yet as they have no wholesale partners. I have zero desire to have anything to do with Virgin Media, so in your position I'd have to pick a good ISP on the Openreach network.

It's down to what you want.

For me it would be Openreach all the way, but that's because I want an ISP who gives me static IPv4, static IPv6, has responsive support when there's a problem, and knows how to run a network.

EE wouldn't work for me because of my static IPv4 + static IPv6 requirement, but there are plenty of other options available via OR. I'm sure EE will be fine for you.

Thanks for all the comments so far, they have reassured me. I’m due an install the week before Christmas.

I’ve never lived anywhere that offers VM, so whilst I’ve heard negative views on their customer service I’ve never experienced it first hand.

By going for EE I managed to get their Black Friday offer of 3 months free which is a decent saving when it’s £49.99 a month. I also get a year of Xbox game pass which I’ll also make use of.

One area that VM does seem to do well their router has 2.5gbp port which can be used for connecting other devices. On Openreach services the 2.5gbp port tends to be needed to connect to the ONT. I’m not aware of any Openreach providers offering a router with more than one high speed port.

If I had the choice, i'd go for Openreach. However, this is purely because I could get then get service from the ISP.... I work for. In my case I have no idea when OR are building, but VM dug my street in October. With the lack of any other choice I am going to order VM with eyes wide open.

Sponsored Links
i had vm before - im in london, i still get 10ms 11ms and i lagged at random times, been with an isp on openreach fttp and never lagged, no drop outs, unless the isp i was on had bad routing or shitty backhual, but yea openreach much better mate.

If I had the choice, i'd go for Openreach. However, this is purely because I could get then get service from the ISP.... I work for. In my case I have no idea when OR are building, but VM dug my street in October. With the lack of any other choice I am going to order VM with eyes wide open.

I’d have gone with VM if they had been ready first.

For me the Openreach CBT was on my pole a few weeks before VM dug up my street, but whilst the obvious roadworks have finished the VM CBTs aren’t yet installed.

Today there was pole work from VM on the nearby streets so I expect they will finish the install next week. Whether that means it can be ordered I don’t know - other parts of the town have gone live instantly but most have had a few month gap between build seemingly finished and go live.

Am looking forward to placing my order. Talk of 2Gbps next year and as I work with XGS-PON I know it's simply a case of turning up the dials once the fibre is in. Be interesting to see how their backhaul is though.

Am looking forward to placing my order. Talk of 2Gbps next year and as I work with XGS-PON I know it's simply a case of turning up the dials once the fibre is in. Be interesting to see how their backhaul is though.

That was one of my concerns but realistically I’ve a 60Mbit FTTC connection now and will get over 900Mbit with EE. The faster 1.6Gbit option from EE is a bit above what I want to pay at £70.

VM was about £45 but that’s a special offer and people seem to have more trouble renewing offers with VM - it makes sense as they are the only provider using that fibre.

Hopefully some other providers start using nexfibre and it becomes competitive like cityfibre.

Sponsored Links
I’m on virgins new network and on 2000/200, it’s been really solid, and I’ve been in HFC areas in the past, this is a lot better, pings around 6-8 in the usual places.

I’d recommend it. Until OR upgrade their networks to XGS I’d go with VM.

Also on the XGSPON network you get a hub with 10gb port.

GPON vs XGSPON shouldn't matter today -- think about it in the future when it does matter (i.e. when you want to go beyond ~2Gb, or when you see congestion at the PON level). I'd go with the Openreach-based connection out of principle, because (at the moment) Virgin Media has no wholesale partners, and Virgin's customer service is rubbish.

I’m on virgins new network and on 2000/200, it’s been really solid, and I’ve been in HFC areas in the past, this is a lot better, pings around 6-8 in the usual places.

I’d recommend it. Until OR upgrade their networks to XGS I’d go with VM.

Also on the XGSPON network you get a hub with 10gb port.
Yep I do like that VM connect the fibre to the hub with no ONT and therefore leave whatever high speed port your router has free for onward connections.

On the flipside, you are forced to use the VM CPE that doesn't currently have a bridge-only mode. I like the wall-mounted ONT approach with LEDs on the front telling you exactly where any fault might lie.

On the flipside, you are forced to use the VM CPE that doesn't currently have a bridge-only mode. I like the wall-mounted ONT approach with LEDs on the front telling you exactly where any fault might lie.
Would be my preference too, but beggars and choosers and that.

Sponsored Links
Yep I do like that VM connect the fibre to the hub with no ONT and therefore leave whatever high speed port your router has free for onward connections.
its handy, if you want to use your own router, just turn DHCP off? or have a play and turn on the modem mode, some have got it to work, some haven't, might depend on the router?
1702219336025.png

GPON vs XGSPON shouldn't matter today -- think about it in the future when it does matter (i.e. when you want to go beyond ~2Gb, or when you see congestion at the PON level). I'd go with the Openreach-based connection out of principle, because (at the moment) Virgin Media has no wholesale partners, and Virgin's customer service is rubbish.
A GPON provider can also upgrade to XGSPON or something newer fairly easily in the future. The hard part is running the glass from exchanges to homes, after that the technology on either end can and probably will be upgraded.

Agree on Virgin Media though, their customer service is abysmal and my time as a Virgin Media customer was also filled with frequent downtime and outages, which their helpdesk treat as a normal and unsurprising thing. After that I switched to IDnet over Openreach for a few years which was completely uneventful (in a good way). I only moved to YouFibre more recently to get symmetric speeds.

Thanks for all the comments.

Openreach have been today and installed EE gigabit broadband.

I had been worried the high winds may prevent the install but everything went ok. The ONT installed was the new 2.5Gbit version so I can upgrade to faster speeds without needing any swap.

I work for VM sales and may be able to check when it will be getting released for you - feel free to give me a call on [number removed] for more info!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £15.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £21.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5411)
  2. BT (3492)
  3. Politics (2500)
  4. Openreach (2279)
  5. Business (2227)
  6. Building Digital UK (2218)
  7. FTTC (2039)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1945)
  9. Statistics (1767)
  10. 4G (1642)
  11. Virgin Media (1596)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1440)
  13. Wireless Internet (1380)
  14. Fibre Optic (1380)
  15. FTTH (1379)
  16. 5G (1219)
  17. Vodafone (1128)
  18. EE (1113)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (919)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules