Sponsored Links

Vodafone - 58Mb/s into router 15Mb/s out over Ethernet?

It's got these two options...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 14.07.29.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 14.07.29.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 14.07.40.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 14.07.40.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 137
Bummer...

So that's blown the VPN solution then...

Oh well, thanks for the help. At least I feel significantly more knowledgeable than I was a couple of days ago ;)

On a side note, I was Googling Line Attenuation and stumbled across a checker on Speed Guide.net. I put in my 11.1dB figure and was told that I was 800+ metres from my cabinet. Which was surprising as when an Openreach engineer made a recent visit he told me that I was 90 metres from the cabinet (which was pretty close to my own calculation). Is this likely to just be some spurious software estimation?
If your line was less than 200m in length to the cabinet then you would be getting the full 80Mbps downstream sync rate - your line is more likely to be 600m long based on your sync rate. The actual route of your line may not be direct to the cabinet.

If your line was less than 200m in length to the cabinet then you would be getting the full 80Mbps downstream sync rate - your line is more likely to be 600m long based on your sync rate. The actual route of your line may not be direct to the cabinet.

To be honest I was delighted to see a sync value of 58Mb/s... I’d just like to be accessing some of it... ;) Indeed, when the Openreach engineer was on site I saw a download speed of 54Mb/s (using speedtest.net) and was skipping round the house! :D

I’m getting Vodafone fatigue at the moment as I know that any phone calls won’t improve the situation. They’re delivering a sync of above their guaranteed minimum, so hey, what’s the problem.

I’m resigning myself to intermittent 4K Netflix until October when I can walk away.

First World problems eh ;)

The 2800? Wow, I mean something in the £30-£50 range !!

TBH, unless you are streaming from one device to another on your own network, the extra WiFi speed is wasted, as it will be restricted by the incoming internet speed.
Even an old "N" spec 150Mbps device is enough for that; although I think the cheapest TPL fibre box has 300Mbps WiFi.

I run the AC750 myself, and am very happy with it.

Sponsored Links
The 2800? Wow, I mean something in the £30-£50 range !!

TBH, unless you are streaming from one device to another on your own network, the extra WiFi speed is wasted, as it will be restricted by the incoming internet speed.
Even an old "N" spec 150Mbps device is enough for that; although I think the cheapest TPL fibre box has 300Mbps WiFi.

I run the AC750 myself, and am very happy with it.

I do appreciate that I probably pitched my purchase towards the upper end of the TP-Link spectrum, but my “man logic” was that if it had worked with a cheap router then I’d have been wishing I’d gone more up market (and at least if I switch providers to one that doesn’t provide a modem/router then I’d already got the equipment to hand).

I am, however, trying something new tomorrow. I’ve got a cheap (LibertyShield Lite - Pre Configured Multi Country VPN Router) on order. For £13.99 I thought it was worth a shot to try and avoid whatever route Vodafone is throttling our Netflix feed through (if that is the case).

Fun this internet lark isn’t it... 😉

OK, so far so good. I set up the VPN router this morning and have successfully watched some 4K Netflix on the TV's Netflix app downstairs.

I am connected via a Powerlines adapter plugged into the VPN router as apparently the wifi speeds leave something to be desired on these cheap units.

It could always be a fluke, so I'm not putting the bunting up just yet ;)

OK, so far so good. I set up the VPN router this morning and have successfully watched some 4K Netflix on the TV's Netflix app downstairs.

I am connected via a Powerlines adapter plugged into the VPN router as apparently the wifi speeds leave something to be desired on these cheap units.

Good to know but you shouldn't have to incur extra cost to enjoy Netflix.

Sponsored Links

Pretty much proves Voda were talking bull pucky though, doesnt it??

Tried 4K Netflix again this morning and got a few buffering moments, so sadly I don’t think the VPN will be my get-to-end-of-contract solution.

I did however submit an email complaint last Weds (via the link on the MyVodafone page) but didn’t get an acknowledgement (as per their process) by Friday lunchtime, so submitted a second complaint (advising them that it was a follow up to my unacknowledged first complaint), and will continue to re-submit the same complaint every 48 hours until I get a response 😡

Not impressed.

Tried 4K Netflix again this morning and got a few buffering moments, so sadly I don’t think the VPN will be my get-to-end-of-contract solution.

I did however submit an email complaint last Weds (via the link on the MyVodafone page) but didn’t get an acknowledgement (as per their process) by Friday lunchtime, so submitted a second complaint (advising them that it was a follow up to my unacknowledged first complaint), and will continue to re-submit the same complaint every 48 hours until I get a response 😡

Not impressed.

Sometimes you will get buffering no matter how fast your connection speed is. I have a fairly solid 75- 80mbps connection 99% of the time, yet still had BBC iPlayer buffer twice a few nights ago - due to an issue at the BBC end. (dropped out entirely for a few minutes - and we got a "technical issues" apology pop up)

Sometimes you will get buffering no matter how fast your connection speed is. I have a fairly solid 75- 80mbps connection 99% of the time, yet still had BBC iPlayer buffer twice a few nights ago - due to an issue at the BBC end. (dropped out entirely for a few minutes - and we got a "technical issues" apology pop up)

I found and installed a broadband speed checker app on my LG tv a couple of days ago. I’ve just run it now because the thumbnails on YouTube are staying blank. As you can see below I’m getting 7.4Mb/s to the TV via a Powerlines connection (sync speed is 56Mb/s). There’s no way UHD movies are going to stream at that speed 😢

Attachments

• E6C44FDF-C6B9-4105-94F3-CA2173F72CD4.jpeg
    E6C44FDF-C6B9-4105-94F3-CA2173F72CD4.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 118
Sometimes powerline plugs get hot which thenb causes speed problems we have two sets so when we see things slowing down we swap them over. This fixed the lag issues on the gaming comupter upstairs.

Sometimes powerline plugs get hot which thenb causes speed problems we have two sets so when we see things slowing down we swap them over. This fixed the lag issues on the gaming comupter upstairs.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I suspect it’s not a Powerline problem as I will see <10Mb/s over WiFi at the same time.

There are bigger problems in the world, but it’s just become a daily annoyance.

We’d had no problems with Vodafone for 3 years. We never bothered with Ethernet connections as all WiFi devices would typically see 35-45Mb/s and a ping of 13ms which was adequate for all of our needs. But since last November a single Ethernet connection (WiFi turned off) would get 20-23Mb/s and a ping of 26ms from a sync speed of 58Mb/s.

Given VF’s lack of response to our complaints I’m sensing we’re just going to have to tough it out until October.

Ok, I’ve plugged the (Libertyshield Lite) VPN router box back into my VF router and I’ll see if that makes a difference. Throwing the kitchen sink at my problem (again) I’ve just ordered the Libertyshield VPN Pro router, to see if that will help bump up my achievable speeds... 😢

I suppose I’ve now got other combos I can try by linking my Libertyshield kit into the TP-Link AC2800. But I’d left the VF router in the system just in case VF responded to my complaint.

I come back to my original points at the start of the thread. Network contention/congestion.

You can throw everything at it to try and make your internet "work", but it's clear as day and no real secret for those working in the industry that Vodaphone are pushing their network to it's limits.

I come back to my original points at the start of the thread. Network contention/congestion.

You can throw everything at it to try and make your internet "work", but it's clear as day and no real secret for those working in the industry that Vodaphone are pushing their network to it's limits.

I’m sure you’re right. But I guess I’m just trying anything that “might” help get me through to our expiry date of Oct this year.

On the Vodafone forum someone mentioned a BT Buyout Scheme, so I might explore that if things don’t improve.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules