Sponsored Links

Vodafone Broadband Backup

JakeUK

Does anybody have any experience with Vodafone 4g Broadband Backup? A neighbour mentioned it and it sounds just what I'm looking for as a second connection. I'm currently with Zen Internet who are great but the speed in my area of West London is only around 50-55 Mbps. We're fairly heavy users and really need to have access at all times. I tried Virgin (again) only to find they were much as they were when we left them a few years back. So we pulled out of that deal. Assuming that any other ISPs are going to be using the BT infrastructure and so run the risk of being down when Zen are down, I'm getting stumped for ideas.

Does anybody have any experience with Vodafone 4g Broadband Backup? A neighbour mentioned it and it sounds just what I'm looking for as a second connection. I'm currently with Zen Internet who are great but the speed in my area of West London is only around 50-55 Mbps. We're fairly heavy users and really need to have access at all times. I tried Virgin (again) only to find they were much as they were when we left them a few years back. So we pulled out of that deal. Assuming that any other ISPs are going to be using the BT infrastructure and so run the risk of being down when Zen are down, I'm getting stumped for ideas.
I have the BT version (Hybrid Connect). It is limited to 30meg down 5 up when using 4G but thats much faster than vodafone in my area and all I need really. Vodafone only give you 50GB whereas the BT backup is unlimited and enables automatically and doesnt have to be near your router. The Vodafone works by plugging a 4G dongle into the USB port on the router whereas the BT one is its own device which can work via Ethernet or WiFi to get the best signal. The BT one works out much cheaper too, especially if you ring up and negotiate a better price than the extortionate amounts shown on the website. I got 50Meg down, 8 meg up with 500 landline minute, 4G backup and a 4GB mobile SIM card for £45/mth.

Ive been offered it via vodafone too (who i'm with for fttc and mobile contract). However the data cap and fact its not a sim so i cant whip it out to put it in another device puts me off

Sponsored Links
Ive been offered it via vodafone too (who i'm with for fttc and mobile contract). However the data cap and fact its not a sim so i cant whip it out to put it in another device puts me off
It is a sim, BTs you can take out but it has some really strange restrictions which means when you put it in a device other than the hybrid connect the other device straight up refuses to make a connection. I get signal bars and it connects but when you make a call, send a text or use data, nowt happens

Just to follow up on this, the Voda 4G backup is 50G but if you have an ongoing fault you just need to call Voda faults team (or online chat outside of 8am-8pm) and they will sling an extra 50G of data on the SIM card. They claimed that they couldn't do an autotopup but I didn't need to call up again and I wasn't being shy to continue to use data during the extended outage that I had.

Sponsored Links
It was an openreach failure that took out my service, I had LOS (loss of service) showing up on the ONT, and it was described to me as a fibre cable fault.

Wow these Broadband company's have it sewn up. Supply a crap service in the first place. Then people have to sign up for another crap service , pay more ££ for what should have been working in the first place. Are we Mad.

Not sure I follow...

Yeh, I had an extended outage over the Christmas and New year holiday. Annoying but stuff can go wrong.
Root cause was rodent damage on Openreach infra in a location that needed complex traffic management and a road closure.
Openreach engineer numbers were down due to COVID
The 4G backup included in my contract kept me connected, obviously not as good as the FTTP connection but it was adequate.
The experience of running out of 4G data wasn't great but faults we're happy enough to top up the SIM card at no additional cost.
Vodafone faults desk were good and transparent with the fault progress.
Vodafone paid me the mandated OFCOM compensation automatically with no prompting from myself the day after the fault was cleared.

**** happens. Under the circumstances it sounds like they did what they should have and paid you compensation. Some things could have been done better, but by no means atrocious.

All things considered, a decent result I would say.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules