Sponsored Links

Vodafone FTTP - London?

Saladin

Hello,

Does anyone know if Vodafone offer FTTP services in London? My borough (Bexley) has been rolling out FTTP and my road was completed a month ago, with orders being accepted by other ISPs (BT; Sky; Zen etc.).

I have tried both the Gigafast and Superfast post code checkers on the Vodafone website to no avail, in fact the Gigafast post code checker redirects me to the Superfast options.

London isn't listed as one of the available cities for FTTP, are there contractual or commercial reasons preventing them from offering a service? Is anyone aware of Vodafone offering FTTP options in London's 33 boroughs?

Vodafone does work with Openreach's FTTP, but it's a fairly recent development, and they don't always seem able to detect recent availability as well as other providers (I imagine this is because they have to do a bit of extra database work to keep their Cityfibre and Openreach sides separate). You could call them and ask, but I doubt their front-line support will understand the underlying network setup.

I'm in exactly the same situation and spoke to one of the sales team via Live Chat on their webpage. It turns out that the guy I spoke to on the Live Chat also had this issue so he had asked internally why this was the case. Apparently, Vodafone use their own backhaul from the Exchange and do not rely on BT Wholesale, like Sky/Zen/BT do, and it just means that Vodafone have not built backhaul to the exchange you are connected to.

As this came from front line sales I do not know how accurate this is but it does at least sound plausible.

Sponsored Links
Yes, essentially they seem to be excluding Openreach FTTP on exchanges that they haven't unbundled yet. The reason for that is their packages would need to increase in price if they used BTW backhaul instead.

Reactions: THB
Thanks, both, that makes sense. I wish I had known this prior to entering the contract, as I had assumed that all ISPs operated in the same manner, but lesson learned. Oh well, at least they're very competitive on price.

Interesting thread, thanks for sharing the FTTP details... There is no FTTP here in Kingston upon Thames yet...

I am with BT now and need to either renew or was thinking to move to Vodafone (24 months contract either way)... One thing I find "interesting":

Vodafone's price includes the landline, BT wants £2pm extra if I want to keep it... would that be somehow a clue of Vodafone's FTTP plans?

As of this week (or thereabouts) I am now able to order ~900Mbps Openreach packages through Vodafone, it only took them about eight months to catch up to the rest of the pack!

The FTTC and FTTP packages/prices I can now choose are:

Superfast 1 from £19.50 a month (35 Mbps average download speed)
Superfast 2 from £21.50 a month (63 Mbps average download speed)
Superfast 100 from £24 a month (100 Mbps average download speed)
Ultrafast 500 from £35 a month (500 Mbps average download speed)
Gigafast 900 from £60 a month (900 Mbps average download speed)

There's hope for the rest of you yet!

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules