Sponsored Links

Vodafone(o2) Slow 5G RollOut - Cumbria

itsjamielike

Hello,

Just a bit of a moan I guess, like everyone else in Cumbria covered by Vodafone. Really surprising that the only mast (1) VF have to live for 5G in Cumbria, is in town with a population of 2,000 people.

Is anyone else feeling the pain of a slow rollout in their county?

Unsure if this is a north/south divide that VF/O2 seem to have, EE and Three seem to be making progress across Cumbria.

Does anyone have any inside information on the expected date, or what could be some of the issues? I am aware it was a big press push, and local "vigilante groups" in 2018 for Carlisle as prior to that Vodafone had some dire speeds in Carlisle and no 4G offering before Vodafone made any progress.

Jamie

Hello,

Just a bit of a moan I guess, like everyone else in Cumbria covered by Vodafone. Really surprising that the only mast (1) VF have to live for 5G in Cumbria, is in town with a population of 2,000 people.

Is anyone else feeling the pain of a slow rollout in their county?

Unsure if this is a north/south divide that VF/O2 seem to have, EE and Three seem to be making progress across Cumbria.

Does anyone have any inside information on the expected date, or what could be some of the issues? I am aware it was a big press push, and local "vigilante groups" in 2018 for Carlisle as prior to that Vodafone had some dire speeds in Carlisle and no 4G offering before Vodafone made any progress.

Jamie
I'm in London, zone 5, EN2 post code.
No 5G from Vodafone or O2.

EE has offered 5G in the area for a couple of years now and Three launched it last year. Both work great.

It seems like a pattern to me..

Three have shared and non shared 5G masts all over bradford, there's only about 3 Voda/O2 5G masts i know of though. Their rollout is appalling. Even then, these masts can only push about 200mbps whereas EE can do 400ish and Three can do 1.2Gbps at quiet times, 700mbps at others.

Sponsored Links
O2 stuck a 5G pole of wonder near us in January.

It still isn't active. But there's another one in our town centre, and boy is it slow. 100mbit if you're lucky, with a direct line of sight. Their rollout here has been extremely poor. Vodafone only stick 5G masts along the A1 next to us, not where people actually live ... and O2 well I dunno what takes them so long... the mast they put up recently replaced an old one so all the stuff (power, fibre etc) is already there.

About north south divide, well I'm in the southern part of the country, and I see people in Scotland with much better 5G speeds and more coverage. I'd be less surprised if it were your local council denying mast installations though... Just like Bedford council :mad: .. bunch of luddites

Since this post, I have just checked the coverage maps with the +3 months, and I now see, there is around 1 mast being enabled in Carlisle, and it looks like 1 mast in Keswick it appears. I guess that is something..

Since my last update, I have checked the Vodafone website again, and selected 3 months time.

All over Cumbria there appeaes to be the odd random mast, in the middle of nowhere that is due to be 5G enabled. It is so different to what we have had in the past.. I have the feeling they could potentially be having a big push in the area… maybe this is how Vodafone does their 5g rollout?

Much happier at having a random mast in the rural enabled than having nothing at all.. plus, may be more hope for some people with rural locations being activated.

Sponsored Links
Since this post, I have just checked the coverage maps with the +3 months, and I now see, there is around 1 mast being enabled in Carlisle, and it looks like 1 mast in Keswick it appears. I guess that is something..
I was amazed to see Keswick has 5G when major cities still only have very patchy coverage. It's only on Vodafone, and looking at their coverage map it only seems to cover Derwentwater, not the town itself. That's even more bizzare to cover an uninhabited body of water but not the town right next to it, it's like they've only enabled one sector and it's the one that doesn't point at anything (apologies to anyone who lives down Borrowdale).

I am in Newcastle and no 5G from Vodafone in my area too. I have it from Three. But not Vodafone.

Given Vodafone were the first ones - by a significant margin - wanting to switch off 3G signals and already have for large areas of the UK. You'd think they would be the first one to have 5G up and running. But it seems they are going to be the last.

No 5G on Vodafone / O2 in Shropshire at all.
Same in Chester, all of the wirral, pretty much the whole of Kent and Cornwall, and also all of north wales (apart from Llandudno where they have had 1 5G mast since launch in 2019 which the speeds are terrible from it on 5G)

Sponsored Links
Same in Chester, all of the wirral, pretty much the whole of Kent and Cornwall, and also all of north wales (apart from Llandudno where they have had 1 5G mast since launch in 2019 which the speeds are terrible from it on 5G)
Noticed a few Vodafone planning apps for Telford and Shrewsbury recently, mainly ducting work.

Not normal for them, maybe something is in the pipeline.

Really poor from Vodafone similar to the 4G roll out.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules