Sponsored Links

Vodafone unlimited data

That's quite a lot of 'UHD Linux distributions' you have been downloading ;) Only, messing with you, I have no idea what you do with your data. Did they ask you or did you just tell them it was for personal use and none of their business?

I did read the acceptable usage policy. It is not clear to me what actually constitutes personal use but I would think I fall foul of it if I use it to connect to work when working from home. In reality home working won't consume much data for me.

I can certainly see why operators would want to limit use of phones for bulk SMS spamming etc.

didn't ask too many questions, I just said watched loads of YouTube, downloading games on pc and PS4.

I actually contacted them twice, once using the app using chat, she was very helpful, just told them I use it for personal use and she came back and said don't worry your on ulimited

second time I phoned the next day and the guy said I was using too much and I should really use less even though I said it was personal use.

so that's when I contacted the CEO to clarify, was all cleared up with the CEOs office.

I suspect that business use would be seen as your making money from it or its used to run business services, though I suspect there is cross over one some of those services these days as I have backups running azure and some other bits and pieces but all for educational use.

have to say that Vodafone's has been one of the best cellular network used so far, it's a shame that their broadband ain't run on the same network tbh

I have an update!

So i hit the magical 3TB or 3072GB on their portal and basically got data limited, only site you can visit is vodafone.

I essentially ended getting it reset so im back to 0, but the troubling information i got was that all accounts are hard limited at 3TB's - which doesnt make it an unlimited service....

Not sure what to make of that

If in doubt don't go over 3TB is seems.

Lucky if I get near 1th a month so that shared between 2 SIM cards would not be a problem, but good to know the limit even if it can be reset.

So the restriction was a mistake and was never meant to happen, they obviously do look at the traffic to see if it is classed as abuse but it would appear that unlimited is unlimited in this case which is good.

not sure how many people would actually test this theory though :p

Last edited:
I tried a PAYG SIM to test the service. Good strong signal on my TP-Link router, but never more than about 8 Mb/s download speed. Vodafone admitted they throttle PAYG, but only to 24 Mb/s. Is 800 MHz always slow?
To answer my own question - Vodafone coverage map says strong signal indoors and router gave 3/4 bars signal, but attach an external antenna and 8 Mb/s suddenly became a reliable 30 Mb/s (even though it is supposed to be throttled to 24 Mb/s). Today’s learning - LTE always benefits from an external antenna, even 800 MHz, with its better penetration.

So the restriction was a mistake and was never meant to happen, they obviously do look at the traffic to see if it is classed as abuse but it would appear that unlimited is unlimited in this case which is good.

not sure how many people would actually test this theory though :p

Can you elaborate on what happened to make you say that? I've read your above posts and it seems a part of the story was missed out as to why you concluded that.

I'm using the exact same sim as my home internet and although I'd be happy with 3Tb a month, but knowing it was truly unlimited would be even better!

Sponsored Links
Can you elaborate on what happened to make you say that? I've read your above posts and it seems a part of the story was missed out as to why you concluded that.

I'm using the exact same sim as my home internet and although I'd be happy with 3Tb a month, but knowing it was truly unlimited would be even better!

So a mixed bag of information, apparently there is a 3TB "softcap", well I'm trying to get this clarified at the moment.

With previous experiences to go by, you essentially get a message at 2.5TB and at 3TB you get data cut off.

I've been told that they have data packages they can add on but they want to clarify that the sim is not being used for any commercial purposes, so its unlimited but it appears you have to contact them to keep going after 3TB.

Unsure how to take this as I see this as a hard cap and then you need to talk to them.

Considering this is all over 4G currently with a average speed of anywhere between 100/150Mbit/s, If i was truly abusing it I could easily do 40-50TB in a month full tilt... not sure where I'd stick all that data but still the point is what would they expect on 5G - over 100TB easy.

Anyway I'll post an update once the situation as I'm nearing 3TB with 6 days left till reset, also waiting on clarification of what happens at that point.

Anyway I'll post an update once the situation as I'm nearing 3TB with 6 days left till reset, also waiting on clarification of what happens at that point.

Its great to hear from someone who uses it even more than I do! I am hovering around 1.5 Tb a month. Which is pretty comfie as I am enjoying lots of 4K content, gaming etc etc

I totally agree with you about 5G. Its even more laughable when we know the competition has set much lower limits. 650 Gb on O2, and 1000 Gb on Three and EE.

My one concern is that Voda (as first to market) decides to make their limits match the competition.

neagle85, did they tell you about 3TB in writing? If you can get them to put that on written record then it's something I'd be able to bite into for a story. As per the ASA rules, they can't call it unlimited if there's a hidden limit.

neagle85, did they tell you about 3TB in writing? If you can get them to put that on written record then it's something I'd be able to bite into for a story. As per the ASA rules, they can't call it unlimited if there's a hidden limit.

Mark, so are you reporting O2 to ASA for "Limitless", which is really 650 Gb?

Of them all, Voda seems to be the only one who hasn't added a limit in the terms while calling unlimited, and even if it is 3 Tb that is the biggest.

Sponsored Links
Mark, so are you reporting O2 to ASA for "Limitless", which is really 650 Gb?

Of them all, Voda seems to be the only one who hasn't added a limit in the terms while calling unlimited, and even if it is 3 Tb that is the biggest.

Soft caps are largely irrelevant until they're enforced, which is where a breach of the ASA rules may occur. Time will tell whether O2 runs afoul of the rules but so far we haven't heard of anybody being cut-off from data and that's the crucial thing. Once an operator sets a benchmark by acting then we can take a closer look.

So if Vodafone has acted in a way that casts doubt on their "unlimited" claim then that is of course news, even if the hidden cap is at the dizzy heights of 3TB. If they have such a cap then it has to be stated somewhere.

@Mark.J Interesting. I thought simply stating unlimited but having a gotcha in the T&C would be enough. But I can see your point, if they do not actually enforce it. Voda of course was first to the market with the new generation of unlimited, but their cap is much harder to go over. So it will be interesting to see which one is the first to make a headline here!

Not in writing, but I will be asking for it if i get cut off again this month... as my view is that they can't call it unlimited if they are cutting you off even if they are willing to put it back after a conversation.

I would they rather start traffic managing to like somewhere between 20-60Mbit/s after a certain point.

I'm certainly not sure the people i'm talking to entirely know what the rules are, but I've gathered from my conversations that they have some sort of internal memo that states that 3TB is the limit (hard/soft) whatever they want to call it but they have additional data packages they can apply to the account to allow for you to continue using it.

I'll keep you posted! :)

@Mark.J Interesting. I thought simply stating unlimited but having a gotcha in the T&C would be enough. But I can see your point, if they do not actually enforce it. Voda of course was first to the market with the new generation of unlimited, but their cap is much harder to go over. So it will be interesting to see which one is the first to make a headline here!

I've looked over their T&C's since the beginning... there are no comments about the amount of data being used as a problem.

Of all the conversations I've had with them I've made it clear if they have "limit" of sorts then they should be put into their T&C's and I had no problem if that was clearly stated, but what I'm getting at the moment is a very wisywashy response and if and when i go above 3TB's i just feel bad which shouldn't be the case - call if unlimited I shouldn't have to worry but this totally feels the opposite.

Its great to hear from someone who uses it even more than I do! I am hovering around 1.5 Tb a month. Which is pretty comfie as I am enjoying lots of 4K content, gaming etc etc

I totally agree with you about 5G. Its even more laughable when we know the competition has set much lower limits. 650 Gb on O2, and 1000 Gb on Three and EE.

My one concern is that Voda (as first to market) decides to make their limits match the competition.

Lots of 4K content here also, large game downloads, I think Vodafone does offer the best deal when it comes to all the factors.

I'm not too bothered if they do "limit" i just need to see it in writing so i can plan accordingly, all their T&C's state

"Make sure you use our services and SIM cards for private, personal and legitimate consumer purposes only. You must not use our services or SIM cards for business purposes"

End of this

"What happens if your usage falls outside the acceptable usage policy? If we suspect you’re not adhering to our Acceptable Use Policy, we reserve the right to impose further charges on you and/or disconnect your SIM card or contract at any time. We may also restrict access to just one part of your service (for example, restrict your use of our text service if we believe you have sent text messages that are in breach of this policy). We’ll attempt to contact you if we need to disconnect your service. Data If you’re using the service in a way which we believe is harmful to our network we may introduce certain traffic management measures such as throttling which might reduce your speed, reduce access to your services, impose further charges on your account or we may disconnect your SIM. We will attempt to notify you before any disconnection takes place. More information on traffic management. "

I think its too open to interpretation, as no mention of 3TB's or anything about data usage being a factor in AUP.

@neagle85

I've just looked at their business plans, which cost exact the same as their private plans. £25+ Vat and state

Unlimited Max
Best for super-fast downloads and UHD streaming, plus everything Unlimited can do.

Curiously they also have

Unlimited with Entertainment
Great for watching shows and movies on-the-go, plus everything Lite can do.

Its a very confused message in my opinion. How are these plans for business? UHD streaming? Shows and movies on the go?

Personally I am bothered if they do limit, as my choice is between 4G and 14 Mb ADSL2. Though that said, I could get a Three sim to go with this vodafone one and still be paying less than I was paying BT.

I may still do that, as it looks like Voda has no plans to role out 5G in my city and Three are planning it this year.

Interesting, wouldn't be surprised if they have the same softcap...

I wonder what is different about them, as at the same price they are essentially the same product.

So data was disabled at 3072GB's again with less than a day till reset, looks more like a hard cap than a soft cap.

I honestly don't want to be calling them every time this happens :(

I would say 3TB on a 4G connection is higher than what I would have said is acceptable, I think Vodafone are being very generous with the amount of data they are allowing.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules