Sponsored

Vodafone Unlimited Max Throttling?

GreatBritian

Casual Member
I've been having issues with a Vodafone Unlimited Max plan for a while.

Vodafone are sure they are not traffic managing however I beg to differ.

Please see the below YouTube video for proof that vodafone is limiting the traffic in some way shape or form.

Does anyone know a way around this rather than using a VPN 24/7?
I've tried a DNS change, new phone, new sim etc nothing seems to work other than a VPN.

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Try the same speed test servers with and without the VPN to rule them out

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Also try some different speed test services as not all testers work in the same way. Remember that mobile is highly variable and both signal quality and capacity will constantly fluctuate. I’d also do the same tests in different locations with different cell sites.

GreatBritian

Casual Member
After midnight and until around 7/8 I'm able to achieve normal speeds after this time it goes back to weird speeds.

Screenshot_20191129-071102_Speedcheck Pro.jpg

They have been all taken at the exact same location only difference is the times.

This app does seem to be prioritised though

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I suppose it could be some sort of generic load balancing Traffic Management, which most networks have in some form when capacity is constrained, although that wouldn't explain why the VPN is faster (you don't indicate above which of the new tests were via VPN and which weren't?). I suppose the VPN could also be taking a different route (peering / routing) to give a better result.

I'd be inclined to find a server IP that this can be tested against, then you could run a traceroute both via Voda and then the VPN to see what differences there are in the server hops. Can you replicate the issue elsewhere, such as via a big file download server/site like Microsoft?

GreatBritian

Casual Member
I suppose it could be some sort of generic load balancing Traffic Management, which most networks have in some form when capacity is constrained, although that wouldn't explain why the VPN is faster (you don't indicate above which of the new tests were via VPN and which weren't?). I suppose the VPN could also be taking a different route (peering / routing) to give a better result.

I'd be inclined to find a server IP that this can be tested against, then you could run a traceroute both via Voda and then the VPN to see what differences there are in the server hops. Can you replicate the issue elsewhere, such as via a big file download server/site like Microsoft?
Thanks for your quick reply.

After speaking with Vodafone's technical team regarding faster speeds on a VPN they say it's non-sense and say "We don't throttle you" bla bla bla, you are not connected to the vodafone network with a VPN etc... It's normal to get 10Mb/s or under on a speedtest on 4G based on your area etc.

I have actually done a traceroute against a server to google before I'll copy the results below this was without a VPN I haven't performed one with a VPN yet but I can do that later if it will help.

Tracing route to google.co.uk [216.58.213.3]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.42.129
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 71 ms * * 192.168.213.21
4 39 ms 40 ms 38 ms 192.168.213.22
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 41 ms 38 ms 41 ms 63.130.127.221
8 60 ms 40 ms 37 ms 90.255.251.18
9 38 ms 39 ms 40 ms 108.170.246.161
10 46 ms 40 ms 40 ms 172.253.65.211
11 57 ms 42 ms 38 ms ber01s14-in-f3.1e100.net [216.58.213.3]

In all tests 2,5 and 6 all request time out.

TTJJ

I would be inclined to believe the traffic is managed. I used to experience exactly the same thing with both EE and 3. EE wasn't even an unlimited plan but certain services are slowed down or 'prioritised' (as they say) differently resulting in very different speeds. VPNs are generally highly prioritised though.

I'm sure there are laws which say they shouldn't prioritise certain services over others but if it's being done to 'manage the network' then I think it gets a pass.

I was also sure I remember reading about how some EU regulation meant that if you've got a SIM card with mobile data you're free to use it in any way on any device you wish - but on Vodafone's website for example their 5G Gigacube service says that if you use the SIM in any other device you'll be 'charged accordingly' and also say that their unlimited phone SIMs can only be used in phones. Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think they're following the rules. I remember Three used to have such policies but were made to change them because of these regulations but Vodafone's getting away with it.

GreatBritian

Casual Member
I'm fairly certain it's traffic managed in some way, however it's done by quite a lot and borderline unacceptable really.

I'm It appears my post on the forum has reached a website which someone has written a article about.

I've currently decided to order a brand new Sim Only which isn't linked to my account to rule out the speculation of Sim Provisioning Issues as it's highly unlikely that the same would happen twice. I do have the ability to return it in 14 days.

I'll update you once this sim arrives it hopefully will be today or tomorrow.

GreatBritian

Casual Member
Another account with a different number and registered to a different e-mail account didn't work.

It still had exactly the same "Throttling" issues raised in the OP.

So cancelled within the 14 day cooling down period.

Is anyone else here on Vodafone and could share some input?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2553)
  2. FTTP (2292)
  3. FTTC (1688)
  4. Building Digital UK (1627)
  5. Politics (1457)
  6. Openreach (1444)
  7. Business (1273)
  8. FTTH (1125)
  9. Statistics (1118)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1068)
  11. Fibre Optic (984)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (930)
  13. Wireless Internet (929)
  14. 4G (926)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (542)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules