Sponsored Links

Vodafone Unlimited Max Throttling?

GreatBritian

Casual Member
I've been having issues with a Vodafone Unlimited Max plan for a while.

Vodafone are sure they are not traffic managing however I beg to differ.

Please see the below YouTube video for proof that vodafone is limiting the traffic in some way shape or form.

Does anyone know a way around this rather than using a VPN 24/7?
I've tried a DNS change, new phone, new sim etc nothing seems to work other than a VPN.

Sponsored Links
Also try some different speed test services as not all testers work in the same way. Remember that mobile is highly variable and both signal quality and capacity will constantly fluctuate. I’d also do the same tests in different locations with different cell sites.

I seem to get better speeds using this speedtest app.

Screenshot_20191128-215435_Speedcheck Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20191128-215644_Speedcheck Pro.jpg

If I use anything else it's slow.

After midnight and until around 7/8 I'm able to achieve normal speeds after this time it goes back to weird speeds.

Screenshot_20191129-071102_Speedcheck Pro.jpg

They have been all taken at the exact same location only difference is the times.

This app does seem to be prioritised though

Sponsored Links
I suppose it could be some sort of generic load balancing Traffic Management, which most networks have in some form when capacity is constrained, although that wouldn't explain why the VPN is faster (you don't indicate above which of the new tests were via VPN and which weren't?). I suppose the VPN could also be taking a different route (peering / routing) to give a better result.

I'd be inclined to find a server IP that this can be tested against, then you could run a traceroute both via Voda and then the VPN to see what differences there are in the server hops. Can you replicate the issue elsewhere, such as via a big file download server/site like Microsoft?

I suppose it could be some sort of generic load balancing Traffic Management, which most networks have in some form when capacity is constrained, although that wouldn't explain why the VPN is faster (you don't indicate above which of the new tests were via VPN and which weren't?). I suppose the VPN could also be taking a different route (peering / routing) to give a better result.

I'd be inclined to find a server IP that this can be tested against, then you could run a traceroute both via Voda and then the VPN to see what differences there are in the server hops. Can you replicate the issue elsewhere, such as via a big file download server/site like Microsoft?

Thanks for your quick reply.

After speaking with Vodafone's technical team regarding faster speeds on a VPN they say it's non-sense and say "We don't throttle you" bla bla bla, you are not connected to the vodafone network with a VPN etc... It's normal to get 10Mb/s or under on a speedtest on 4G based on your area etc.

I have actually done a traceroute against a server to google before I'll copy the results below this was without a VPN I haven't performed one with a VPN yet but I can do that later if it will help.

Tracing route to google.co.uk [216.58.213.3]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.42.129
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 71 ms * * 192.168.213.21
4 39 ms 40 ms 38 ms 192.168.213.22
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 41 ms 38 ms 41 ms 63.130.127.221
8 60 ms 40 ms 37 ms 90.255.251.18
9 38 ms 39 ms 40 ms 108.170.246.161
10 46 ms 40 ms 40 ms 172.253.65.211
11 57 ms 42 ms 38 ms ber01s14-in-f3.1e100.net [216.58.213.3]

In all tests 2,5 and 6 all request time out.

I would be inclined to believe the traffic is managed. I used to experience exactly the same thing with both EE and 3. EE wasn't even an unlimited plan but certain services are slowed down or 'prioritised' (as they say) differently resulting in very different speeds. VPNs are generally highly prioritised though.

I'm sure there are laws which say they shouldn't prioritise certain services over others but if it's being done to 'manage the network' then I think it gets a pass.

I was also sure I remember reading about how some EU regulation meant that if you've got a SIM card with mobile data you're free to use it in any way on any device you wish - but on Vodafone's website for example their 5G Gigacube service says that if you use the SIM in any other device you'll be 'charged accordingly' and also say that their unlimited phone SIMs can only be used in phones. Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think they're following the rules. I remember Three used to have such policies but were made to change them because of these regulations but Vodafone's getting away with it.

I'm fairly certain it's traffic managed in some way, however it's done by quite a lot and borderline unacceptable really.

I'm It appears my post on the forum has reached a website which someone has written a article about.

I've currently decided to order a brand new Sim Only which isn't linked to my account to rule out the speculation of Sim Provisioning Issues as it's highly unlikely that the same would happen twice. I do have the ability to return it in 14 days.

I'll update you once this sim arrives it hopefully will be today or tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Another account with a different number and registered to a different e-mail account didn't work.

It still had exactly the same "Throttling" issues raised in the OP.

So cancelled within the 14 day cooling down period.

Is anyone else here on Vodafone and could share some input?

At least we now know how they have been able to undercut every other provider since returning to the UK MISP market.
I expect OFCOM will get around to giving them a slap on the wrist sometime in the next 2-3 decades.
ASA should also get involved, as ISPs are only allowed to advertise the average speed their customers get, and 2-10Mbps isnt it.

Here's another test this time taken at a completely different site.
Speeds without VPN 20Mb/s and with a VPN over 130Mb/s.
I mean that is a big difference.

Bearing in mind this was taken at almost midnight so congestion can't/likely isn't going to be a issue here.
vodafone.png

Screenshot_20191209-102640_My Vodafone.jpg

This is the plan I am on with a device.

The exact same happened using the MyVodafone app using the speedtest in the app which should be directly to Vodafone's servers and it was throttled obviously until a VPN was turned on.

Edit_
Also when I was tethering to the PC it was exactly the same the speed increase when I applied a VPN. this was on downloads such as from Steam, and Linux Distro's.

The exact same happened using the MyVodafone app using the speedtest in the app

It's clear from your own testing and that of others it's being 'managed'. Obviously they want to save data somehow. Curious though. Speedtest.net may be slowed down because it's an uncessary demand on the network. Can you try fast.com? It runs from Netflix's servers which I'm guessing may not be throttled.

Sponsored Links
I AM surprised speedtest gets throttled; in the past shyster ISPs have been very careful to make sure it WASNT throttled, so the mugs - sorry - the CUSTOMERS thought they really were getting the speeds they had paid for.

I left EE because of the same thing. I wasn't with them very long but I think I was on their unlimited speed of SIM and was downloading a file of some sort. It was ridiculously slow until I enabled the VPN and it became very fast.

We often get mugged off but no one is going to do anything about it. Even the ones who claim they don't throttle usage, clearly do.

I too am on Voda unlimited 4g/5g. And I am honestly not seeing any throttling. Even right now at lunch time I am seeing 50 Mb/s and if I was to test at say 5am I would be seeing 70mb. Which seems great to me.

Just fired up the VPN on my phone (Nord) and tests at 52 Mb/s. So no real difference.

Okay.

So I believe I know what the issue is, and it is in multiple locations I've experienced the same issue in Redcar, Manchester and Hull to this date.

It seems that UDP Traffic is getting through the network better than others.

I'll provide another YouTube video very shortly showing this.
On the video you'll see me connected to a VPN (NordVPN) performing 3 tests on non connected to a VPN, another 3 tests Connected to standard VPN protocol of IKEv2 and finally another 3 tests through UDP (Where a significant improvement is made).

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules