Sponsored

VOIP over EE Mobile Broadband?

Hi, few questions that i'm sure some of you lot would be able to help with.

My dad lives in The Highlands and currently has satellite broadband. EE are building a lovely big mast right next to his house and hopefully, this will solve much of the problems of satellite broadband (latency, price, allowances etc). His speed will probably end up being 5 times faster than my poor FTTC just 1 mile away from the M25 in a good sized town!

He's also got a land line as there was previously zero mobile signal. He'd like to get rid of this if he can as it's pretty expensive considering how little use he gets. I bought him a couple of extra-loud, big buttoned old people phones a few months ago as he's struggling with his hearing. These are good and he won't cope with a smart phone to use VOIP.

My question is would I be able to connect some sort of VOIP base station into an EE mobile broadband router and have that connected to the current landline handset base station (so he doesn't need to replace the phones as that starts to get expensive).

Does a device like that even exist? The phone I have got him are super simple and compatible with his hearing aid, I would really not want to have to change them.

My only other concern is that EE might block the VOIP port and I cant seem to find a clear answer online. If I was to organise this I'd have to go up to Scotland (eventually) to set it up so need to get it right at the first attempt.

Ideally he'd keep his old phone number but I imagine that's impossible, though any phone number is fine if that's not available.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Assuming the EE mobile router has an Ethernet LAN port on the back then I see no reason why you couldn't connect an Analogue Terminal Adapter (ATA) into the back of that. Basically you'd setup the VoIP details in the ATA and then could just plug a regular phone into that same device.

This will give you a bit more background, albeit more from the fixed line than mobile perspective, but an ATA should still work.

I haven't tried VoIP on EE myself, but I know some people who have Sipgate working with it so I'd assume it to be possible. But as a lot of mobile operators use things like CGNAT then it's often wise to check with a VoIP provider before you sign-up to something.

Assuming the EE mobile router has an Ethernet LAN port on the back then I see no reason why you couldn't connect an Analogue Terminal Adapter (ATA) into the back of that. Basically you'd setup the VoIP details in the ATA and then could just plug a regular phone into that same device.

This will give you a bit more background, albeit more from the fixed line than mobile perspective, but an ATA should still work.

I haven't tried VoIP on EE myself, but I know some people who have Sipgate working with it so I'd assume it to be possible. But as a lot of mobile operators use things like CGNAT then it's often wise to check with a VoIP provider before you sign-up to something.
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the informative reply and the excellent article. I had actually seen it although had completely missed that there were 4 pages so know a lot more now.

"Analogue Terminal Adapter" was the search query I was missing and can see that they can be bought for as little as £40.

He's going to get EE when it's available there anyway so the VOIP will be a bonus. I've asked the question on the EE forum and hopefully someone will reply or forward my query onto their technical team. From previous experience, network engineers tend to actually get in touch with the consumers over there so hopefully they'll make it clear. Obviously I could return any equipment purchased, but it would be nice to know in advance with a plan for the pitfalls. Some articles I read suggested a VPN, but that just complicates things too far as it stuffs up things like iplayer which will just confuse the easily confused.

Thanks again for the detailed response and your work here.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER20
  • Plusnet £21.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2717)
  2. FTTP (2604)
  3. FTTC (1756)
  4. Building Digital UK (1701)
  5. Politics (1605)
  6. Openreach (1565)
  7. Business (1389)
  8. FTTH (1311)
  9. Statistics (1207)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1177)
  11. Fibre Optic (1044)
  12. 4G (1013)
  13. Wireless Internet (997)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (993)
  15. Virgin Media (977)
  16. EE (671)
  17. Sky Broadband (655)
  18. TalkTalk (644)
  19. Vodafone (641)
  20. 5G (472)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules