Sponsored Links

VoIP provider recommendation

Hello everyone,

I’ve been informed, upon moving house (when things settle down) I won’t be able to take my phone number with me. I need to, been self employed with it for 30 years. So, thinking to port it to VoIP, keep it active for a year or so to catch any customers as I switch, or keep it possibly depending on the answers and services given, costs etc.
Probably incoming calls only, with an answer service.

Any recommendations, please?

Many thanks, never had anything to do with VoIP before.

I‘ve been using Andrews&Arnold for a very long time now. I have a landline number and mobile number with their VoIP service. Highly reliable and no extra charges for features such as voicemail etc. it's all just included. If you're making calls they're relatively cheap but it is per minute costs only. Never had an issue with them. In the unlikely event you'll need CS support they can be a bit abrupt and matter of fact but always get the job done. You port your number over then it's just 1.20 a month ongoing plus any calls (around 1p/min for landline and 4p/min for mobiles). All incoming calls/texts are free of charge.

Another recommendation is Sipgate (free or paid). I have their free service for an old landline number I wanted to keep. If you're going to make a load of calls on it they have a great unlimited package for something like a tenner a month.

Either of them you can use an app on your phone (I use Acrobits Softphone for the push calls (better battery life)) or with a physical phone etc. however you need.

If you need any help setting one up, let me know, I've had it on plenty of devices and had to start from scratch with it all too when it was new to me.

Edit: I checked for you. Sipgate Basic will be free (forever) but you'd need to pay a one off 30 quid porting charge. A&A is 15 quid one off for the number port but 1.20 ongoing. Both include voicemail etc. free of charge too.

That’s great, thanks. Used to be with A&A for internet a couple years back, very good company. Will look into Sipgate also.
Can these work solely on a mobile app, or will I be needing a VoIP setup in house? Never used VoIP before, other than Skype etc..

EDIT: Misread, Acrobits Softphone..I’ll look into that too!

Sponsored Links
If you have the time then have a read as, until we get a proper migration system sorted, there are some caveats to be aware of:

Crumbs! Thanks for the heads up though boss.

That’s great, thanks. Used to be with A&A for internet a couple years back, very good company. Will look into Sipgate also.
Can these work solely on a mobile app, or will I be needing a VoIP setup in house? Never used VoIP before, other than Skype etc..

EDIT: Misread, Acrobits Softphone..I’ll look into that too!

Acrobits Softphone isn't free but it's by far one of the best I've used. Normal VoIP apps stay alive on the phone in the background constantly to check for calls which has a massively negative effect on battery life. Softphone works differently because once you've logged in it doesn't need to run constantly and will only come alive when there's an incoming call (it checks constantly on the server - not on your phone).

It may cost around a fiver though, I remember it not being free.

Handy to know!
Had an update from my isp, and they now do residential VoIP services, so keeping it all in house seems easier to me, regarding timing it all around moving house. Then make the choice to keep it permanent or otherwise. idNET, great company.
I guess if I keep permanent VoIP, you get the best of both worlds on the mobile then..hmm. Lots to think on come the time.

Many thanks all, stay safe.

Sponsored Links
Joshua0101's post looks very much like spam. Brand new user and the domain was only registered two months ago.

Might not be a scam but certainly not a long standing company.

On the plus side a company does exist with companies house around the date the domain was created.

-
Hello everyone,

I’ve been informed, upon moving house (when things settle down) I won’t be able to take my phone number with me. I need to, been self employed with it for 30 years. So, thinking to port it to VoIP, keep it active for a year or so to catch any customers as I switch, or keep it possibly depending on the answers and services given, costs etc.
Probably incoming calls only, with an answer service.

Any recommendations, please?

Many thanks, never had anything to do with VoIP before.
You could also make a phone system (PBX) yourself using software like for example Asterisk or 3CX and find a provider that does SIP Trunks then you would have more control over your phone system instead of using a hosted VoIP provider (a lot of VoIP providers offer hosted solutions & SIP Trunks).

3CX is graphical and therefore probably more easier to use & setup for the average person.

To do your own PBX it would require a computer (server) but not necessarily in your house, a lot of data centres offer cheap VPS instances like Amazon, OVH, MS Azure, Digital Ocean, Google etc

Ell :)

Sponsored Links
WebMate is good value - they do free calls for uk and mobiles included in their SIP plans at £7.50 month per channel: https://webmate.me/sip-trunks

I have them on my 3CX box for UK calls and use other similar SIP providers in the US and other countries - although they tend to be bundled minutes rather than the unlimited calls webmate provide.

WebMate is good value - they do free calls for uk and mobiles included in their SIP plans at £7.50 month per channel: https://webmate.me/sip-trunks

I have them on my 3CX box for UK calls and use other similar SIP providers in the US and other countries - although they tend to be bundled minutes rather than the unlimited calls webmate provide.
Just checked that one out - I'd not heard of them before.

Bit off-putting you can only get that pricing with yearly payments but it seems alright. I think sipgate basics pricing still does it better.

Their free mobile calls are only to the main providers, so other providers with their own number range like AAISP (Stour Marine provides their numbers now) and Virgin Mobile would be chargeable?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules