Sponsored

VOIP via 4G via builtin Huawei Router features = delay when speaking?

johnf

So I recently ditched the landline for a 4G router (Huawei B525s) on the Vodafone network. This has a feature where you can plug a normal landline phone into it, enter your VOIP details into the router and off you go. I'm using Sipgate.

I have a couple of problems with this. The phone calls themselves are very clear, but there is a lag which means one person hears a pause and starts talking, and the other person continues talking, they then both hear the other person talking and both stop. Would you call this latency?

Hoping to get some experience from other people. Is what I have described typical of using VOIP? Or is it because I am doing it va 4g? Or is it because the router just isn't very good at doing this?

The other problem I have, is sometimes someone will call me, my phone never rings, they get the ring tone. Next thing i get an e-mail saying I had a missed call (great feature).

This I think is a problem with the router, because if I go into the VOIP settings and change something it starts to work normally.

So my thoughts are. Would I be better off with a normal VOIP phone that is plugged into a network port and connecting to sipgate in its own way rather than the router doing that?

Or is what I have described (especially the latency) just typical of VOIP?

Thanks for any help!

Verita

Another one of those 4G 'herding cats' mysteries. Sipgate (Basic) works fine over 3G and 4G on my B311 with Three network, but I'm using Grandstream desk phones. I also live close to a Three mast, with 100% signal.

1) Sipgate recommend disabling 'SIP ALG' settings in routers as a first step.

2) Others have reported that using VOIP directly on Huawei router phone sockets causes the router to switch to 3G for the 'voice' data, then back to 4G. This happens quite quickly but might be a source of lag. My older Huawei router did this, don't know about the current ones.

My Grandstreams are plugged into Powerline (Homeplug) ethernet adaptors so they can go anywhere in the house. Haven't noticed any lag over these.

I'm not expert enough to diagnose further. :)

Grandstreams:

If you want to try a Grandstream, Amazon have a good returns policy , the two SIP account GXP-1625 works perfectly for me, as does the cheaper GXP-1610 (One SIP account, no backlit display.) The phones also have a second 100 Ethernet port for a second device if you're short of ports.

Phones should be booted after the router has started to get a DHCP IP address. The phone screen will show this, you can then log in and set up the account details.

Voicemail:

Despite Sipgate saying Message Waiting Indicator (MWI - voicemail light on the Grandstreams) doesn't work on Sipgate Basic accounts, it does work on my two lines if enabled in the phones.

This makes the Sipgate Voicemail useful as it flashes a light on the phones if there's a message waiting. Also the phones give a pulsing dial-tone if there's a waiting voicemail.

The delay before routing to voicemail can be changed in the Sipgate settings at their site.

Phones:

Verita

PS: If anyone wants screen shots for setting up Grandstreams on Sipgate, let me know. I have both the 1610 and 1625 phones.

johnf

Thanks for the detailed post. I think I will have to follow your advice and get a proper voip phone.

Re your point 2. It definitely does this if an incoming (or outgoing) call comes in on the sim's phone number.

Usually I'm using remote desktop as part of the call, so I know its not swapping between 3g/4g while in a voip call or it would drop the connection.

Verita

^^ There's some discussion on 'another' broadband forum about 4G VOIP and dropping to 3G during a call. Some say their Huawei router doesn't do it, others, that it does:

"B525 is not officially supported by Three for VoLTE [Voice Over LTE/4G], so has to drop from 4G to 3G to make & receive calls"

(I note you're on Vodafone.)

As you've found, using the 'phone socket' on my older Huaweis dropped the connection down to 3G. Using the Grandstream phones over Ethernet the connection stays at 4G as it's a SIP connection.

Some of the 4G users on here get free SIM minutes, these only work with a 'landline' phone plugged into the Huawei's phone socket, of course, and a consequential drop down to 3G unless VoLTE is supported.

N.B.

With the Grandstreams and other SIP phones you can put another handset anywhere in the house with a couple of PowerLine (Homeplug) ethernet adaptors. The Sipgate Basic service will ring both handsets when a call comes in.

There's also a raft of VOIP apps like 3CX for smartphones which also work well with Sipgate to save buying a dedicated SIP phone.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER20
  • NOW TV £22.00 (*40.00)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2690)
  2. FTTP (2528)
  3. FTTC (1738)
  4. Building Digital UK (1677)
  5. Politics (1571)
  6. Openreach (1537)
  7. Business (1352)
  8. FTTH (1274)
  9. Statistics (1186)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1154)
  11. Fibre Optic (1033)
  12. 4G (997)
  13. Wireless Internet (984)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (983)
  15. Virgin Media (959)
  16. EE (664)
  17. Sky Broadband (648)
  18. TalkTalk (631)
  19. Vodafone (623)
  20. 5G (457)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules