Sponsored

VPN Tunneling

bkw27

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck in creating VPN tunnels with BT Satellite 500 or BT Satellite 500 Plus? I know they state that VPN's are currently unsupported but after speaking to them they have told me that a few of their customers have VPN's running sucessfully.

Any light on the matter or experience of this would be much appreciated!

Ben

evs67uk

ISP Rep
Hi Ben,
In answer to your question, I have not come across any BT sat customer that has had any success with vpn.
If you are running ipsec or pptp they both suffer with slow start syndrome.
This basically means that all your bandwidth is taken just trying to establish the tunnel.
At Aramiska we had exactly the same issue with customers trying to run vpn's.
We now offer a fully managed vpn service that can run from either sat 2 sat or sat to adsl, leased line etc.
Using our vpn the tunnel runs at the same speed as your upload connection.
The response we have had has been very good to say the least.
Feel free to mail me if you have any questions....
m.evans@aramiska.net

cheers
Mike

turnkey

Top Member
Mike,

Once BT finish the migration to the new platform, will we (BT satellite users) be able take advantage of the managed VPN service?

evs67uk

ISP Rep
It will be interesting to see how quickly the roll out the new service & also to see what the pricing is like.
I know from customers who have left BT to come to our sat service that the system was so unstable they could not even use it for browsing or mail let alone any real time applications.
Mike

Fudskie

Pro Member
Once BT finish the migration to the new platform, will we (BT satellite users) be able take advantage of the managed VPN service?
well this is not right?

I think Mike was saying Aramiska have a vpn solution but only on the Aramiska service, All satellite connections including ours suffer with IPSEC & PPTP VPN scenarios due to latentcy & other IP factors, 5Kbps is the norm max in most cases !! This is why Aramiska has built there own Managed VPN that does not suffer this speed over satellite issue. The latentcy will always be there this is fact but to say full speeds & even Citrix work on our (Aramiska) sat service i think says something.

Its always cost Vs service but i would like Aramiska to be cheaper but to maintain the high service costs money & the included services are when added up a good deal in my opinion.

(The new sat service BT are looking at is no better but hey you would have thought that they would have learn`t there lesson by now eh. One day....maybe...)

Good Luck. :cool:

Last edited:

evs67uk

ISP Rep
turnkey said:
Mike,

Hi Turnkey,
Have BT finished the migration yet?
I would love to have some feedback on there vpn service...
cheers
Mike

I am using vpn choice vpn connection. I got this connection by my forum friend. He was saying a lot of things about .... and it’s features usage in daily internet work. They have cheap plans as well as a hidemyass program for establishing remote server without any difficulties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2555)
  2. FTTP (2300)
  3. FTTC (1688)
  4. Building Digital UK (1627)
  5. Politics (1462)
  6. Openreach (1445)
  7. Business (1277)
  8. FTTH (1131)
  9. Statistics (1119)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1070)
  11. Fibre Optic (987)
  12. Wireless Internet (932)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (931)
  14. 4G (927)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (588)
  19. Vodafone (543)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules