Sponsored Links

wanadoo broadband line activation

hello.
ive been a freeserve and then wanadoo anytime user for a few years and then on october 3rd i upgraded to broadband on the site.

a few days later my package arrived containing the free modem, which i installed. in the leaflet it said that line activation would take up to 10 days.

the situation has not changed, and its been almost a month now so im beginning to get a little fed up, so i emailed them asking what was going on and received this reply

"Thank you for your email.
Your line is still in the hands of BT as the exhange that you are at
must be full and then as soon as they becomes space then they will put
you on.
If you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to get in
contact with us again."

after reading some of the things on this site about wanadoo im starting to get concerned, so can anyone tell me where i stand? can i cancel my registration? because ive just agreed to a 12 month contract with them.
can they really say its in the hands of bt? my contract is with wanadoo, no?

they havent charged me yet, by the way

thanks

angelofdeath asked:

can i cancel my registration? because ive just agreed to a 12 month contract with them
Yes you can cancel your order.
No, you have not yet entered into a 12-month contract, because the contract begins once the service has been delivered to you.
A service has yet to be delivered.

I'd cancel quickly though, because once the service has been delivered, you may not find it so easy to cancel (even though you may not have used it).

Telephone Wanadoo to cancel and don't forget to return the equipment they supplied.

can they really say its in the hands of bt? my contract is with wanadoo, no?
BT is the company that actually does the work at the (BT) exchange to enable you to have broadband.

thanks for the quick reply, its not delivered by the end of the week im going to cancel. can you tell me if i will i have any problems signing up with another supplier quickly, as ive heard some people talking about trying to "get wanadoo off their line", or are they not on my line yet?

thanks

Sponsored Links
thanks for the quick reply
You’re very welcome.

can you tell me if i will i have any problems signing up with another supplier quickly
You shouldn’t have any problems, however whether you have the service delivered any quicker is debateable.
ISPs generally aim to deliver the service within something like 5-10 working days, although I’ve installed Wanadoo broadband on a PC three days after the order was placed and found the line already up & working.
I’ve not yet personally found any to take longer than the suggested 10 working days, however I should point out I’ve not installed broadband for that many people and sometimes it does take longer for service delivery (as you know only too well).
If you don’t intend to cancel your order just yet, you may want to consider contacting either Wanadoo or BT, mentioning how long you’ve already waited (which seems an excessively long time) and asking for an estimate of when your line will be activated.
You may also like to consider ringing one or two alternative ISPs, explain the problem to them and ask if they can deliver the service any quicker.
You could then decide upon the best course of action to take.

as ive heard some people talking about trying to "get wanadoo off their line", or are they not on my line yet?
The ISP is not part of your line until the line is activated.
After BT activates your line, you need a migration code (MAC) for changing from one ISP to another.
Sometime during the summer, a large number of ISPs signed an agreement with Ofcom agreeing to release MAC to their customers when requested.
Following this agreement, there were continued reports of customers having difficulty in obtaining this code from their ISP, however the frequency of these reports seem to be diminishing. Indeed, I can’t recall seeing any recent problems regarding this.
Perhaps part of the initial problem was down to poor internal communications and not all staff were aware of the undertaking to release the migration code - who knows?

the plot thickens...

yesterday i emailed them asking what was going on and if there was any prospect of them activating my line and when i checked my inbox today i had 2 messages from wanadoo, about an hour apart.

the first message:

"Dear Wanadoo Broadband Customer

By now your Wanadoo Broadband account should be fully set up with your modem installed. The Install Guide that you received with your Modem Connection Pack provides any answers you may need, but if you have any questions just contact us."
and my wanadoo broadband membership card is in the post, apparently!
wow, i thought, maybe my threats of cancelling scared them into action.
but no, the stupid light on my cheap modem was still flashing
(this email was sent almost exactly a month after i signed up, so i guess it could be automated.)

the second message is a reply to the email i sent them:

"I have just been in contact with BT and they have informed no further
information is currently available regarding the delay, if you contact
our helpline before 4.30pm we should be able to contact BT regarding
this account and they should have an update or be able to contact the
correct department to deal with this query. I am very sorry for the
delay i your connection but are currently unable to find out exactly how
long it will take to activate your line."

well, i will be calling tomorrow and if i cant get a satisfactory answer i'll be cancelling as well. i just hope that the "welcome to broadband" stuff doesnt mean theyve charged me

Results have been obtained by going straight to the top, so you may want to PM Kits and ask for the contact details of BTs chief.
Tell him of the situation (ie Wanadoo say the long delay is down to BT) and ask if anything can be done to speed the activation along.

Other than that, the option to cancel Wanadoo remains open.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules