Sponsored Links

Wanting to leave TalkTalk, but.....

My contract with TT is due to finish in December & I'm determined to ditch them as soon as I can, without paying an early departure charge.
I moved from Virgin Cable to their LLU for phone & BB, which necessitated a new phone number.
The one I have with TT is, apparently, allocated to TT, (Opal Telecom by another name).

Does anyone know if there is any possibility of taking the existing number with me, or are TT likely to refuse to release it.

I've been in touch with Plusnet and they said they would probably have to allocate a new number, but would try to get a transfer.

My wife will give me some grief if the phone number is changed again, Needless to say, I'd like to avoid this & the hassle of notify people etc again.

Any ideas?

You should be able to take your Talk Talk number with you.

Possibly consider using VoIP and moving your Talk Talk number to that, so even if you move to another country, you should still effectively use your "home" number.

The only thing to consider is that if your broadband has problems, your VoIP number wouldn't work but many providers like Gradwell can redirect this to another number such as a landline for no/a nominal charge.

Matt

Phone numbers are a bit tricky still, most of the time you can keep them but occasionally you can run into problems when switching between different platforms (e.g. cable to LLU etc.). Ofcom are working to improve the migration system for broadband and phone lines but they seem to be falling a bit behind with their efforts.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm, at my age, not likely to move to another country, (unless my sister-in-law in Oklahoma funds it!), but I do want to avoid, if possible, the hassle of having a new phone number, & voip is not something my wife couldn't cope with.

Somehow I can't see Opal/TalkTalk releasing the number to another ISP, a sfor one thing it is on their LLU.

There don't seem to be many LLU ISPs on my exchange (Birchwood SLBWD) so I suspect that I'll have to go for a BT based ISP, (but not BT - I don't want or trust them).

YB

Try contacting an ISP like Zen Internet or AAISP about it, they're both fully independent providers and have well trained support staff that can usually find loopholes for this sort of problem. Zen's 1 month contract periods also mean that you could swap to them in order to get back onto BT's network and then move elsewhere later.

The downside is that shifting from LLU to BT usually attracts some extra costs, so ask the ISP about that too.

Try contacting an ISP like Zen Internet or AAISP about it, they're both fully independent providers and have well trained support staff that can usually find loopholes for this sort of problem. Zen's 1 month contract periods also mean that you could swap to them in order to get back onto BT's network and then move elsewhere later.

The downside is that shifting from LLU to BT usually attracts some extra costs, so ask the ISP about that too.

Thanks for that.
Is LLU faster than ADSL2 etc? I get quite good speeds at present, usually around 13000kbs, or even better, and would prefer to stay with it. Are there any ISPs renting from TT or others?
I'm on Birchwood (SLBWD)

Tks

Is LLU faster than ADSL2?

LLU is ADSL2+ any way, well, it is in TalkTalks case.

The question you need to ask is 'Is LLU faster than a BT Wholesale provided service'. Most non LLU provider's use the BT Wholesale network to supply service to their customer, just like we do.

But, to that question there really is no fixed answer.

Speeds are measured in 2 forms; Synchronisation and Throughput.
Synchronisation is the speed in which your router connect with the exchange.
Throughput is the speed that 'matters' to us.

There really won't be much of a difference with your Synchronisation speed on LLU or BT Wholesale ISP's, as it will still be using the same copper wire infrastructure to deliver ADSL to your premises.

The main difference between LLU and BT Wholesale ISP's is that LLU providers have better control over their network. LLU support teams can set the SNR margins to whatever they want and change them whenever they want. With BT Wholesale suppliers, such as ourselves, We cannot choose which SNR margin we want the line to be set at, we can only request an SNR Reset, which will place the line onto a setting which is determined by BT Wholesale's profiling system.

Then you need to think about network availability with the new supplier and service management. Some suppliers may have insufficient network bandwidth to give you the same throughput speeds, but that's another story. Some throttle your speed if you reach a certain amount of usage and/or use their network for protocols they 'do not like' customer's to use.

To be honest though, most suppliers with provide you with the same speed you are getting now, give or take a few Kbps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks for the interest, very helpful. I'm going to draw up a shortlist of potential "suitors" and see what they can come up with

Just to round this off, I'm no longer a "customer" (would "victim" be more appropriate?) of TT, having been migrated to ICUK as of 22/12. The change went through seamlessly and so far, so good.

How long did it take you to migrate Yeller (any downtime?) and did you use the MAC method or..? Glad it all worked out.

How long did it take you to migrate Yeller (any downtime?) and did you use the MAC method or..? Glad it all worked out.
The actual switch took about 5 hours. The phone line & broadband were dead when I got up at 0730 and the migration was completed by 1300. No need for MAC as my TT service was on LLU & I have kept my old tel number:) .

I originally put the order in to ICUK on 5/12 & it was all done on 22nd.

The only thing that surprises me is that I didn't get any pleas and promises from TT to get me to stay with them, only the 2 stock letters about the forthcoming account cancellation.

Sponsored Links
Did you swap to one of ICUK's BT based packages or their LLU option?

Phone & BB off for about 5 hours (0730 approx to 1300). No need for MAC as I was on LLU with TalkTalk.
Switchover smooth & clean

You just repeated the earlier answer but that's not what I asked :) . Which ICUK package did you take?

BT or LLU

You just repeated the earlier answer but that's not what I asked :) . Which ICUK package did you take?

Apologies for that - When I did that reply I thought that perhaps my original answer hadn't gone thro'. Put it down to my becoming a "secret agent" for the DWP:eek:, complete with a small payment every week:)

I'm on the BT scheme, rather than LLU. I didn't specify either, but BT suits me better as I imagine that should I want to leave ICUK then it should be easier, not that changing from TT LLU back to BT was any problem

Ah yes that would explain the quick and easy migration as moving from an LLU to LLU package can often be a bit more tedious.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules