Sponsored Links

WARNING: Giganet moving everyone to CGNAT

IanCass

I had to power down my router over the weekend and when it came up, I got a private IP. Seems I'm now on CGNAT. I've emailed their support and got the following answer:-

I hope you are well.

I'm sorry this has happened, it's due to you migrating from one of our networks to another. Meaning you would of lost your private IP.

Luckily the Static IPs for Network 2 customers, such as yourself. Are imminent and you are currently on our waiting list. Meaning we should have this issue solved soon.

I apologise I could not solve this problem today. But please do contact us if you have any further questions.

I've asked for a date when this will be available. Luckily, I'm on a rolling month contract so I'm perfectly happy to move ISP if they can't resolve this swiftly.

Last edited:
God that would **** me off if that did that and didn't have a static IP option immediately available

One has to wonder why they couldnt delay this network change until the network was actually ready?

Sponsored Links
I asked when this option would be available. They replied...

I can confirm that the Static IPs are in their final stage of testing and we're making sure there up to working standards.

All of our customers will be messaged as soon as there ready.

I'm sorry I can't get you a definitive date but I've been assured they will be done really soon.

I then asked if it would cost extra

They will be £3/£3.50 a month.

So, these guys degrade my service and then want to charge me extra to bring it back to a similar level to what it was before. I notice that there's about 8 other choices for Cityfibre ISP available to me all at a similar price per month. I think I'll be selecting a new ISP

Reactions: bon
Toob did that, one day all of a sudden CGNAT implemented and I only realised when my port forwards stopped working. Now they charge £8 for a static IP option which I pay for. Its annoying for sure but fortunately their package is pretty cheap (£25/mo) so I haven't lost too much sleep over it.

So, these guys degrade my service and then want to charge me extra to bring it back to a similar level to what it was before. I notice that there's about 8 other choices for Cityfibre ISP available to me all at a similar price per month. I think I'll be selecting a new ISP
Giganet is farily cheap no? it's one way to keep the cost down but seems a bit of a rubbish move - are the other ISPs available able to offer service at the same price including static IP?

I'd be put off enough by the atrocious spelling and grammar in those replies, does nobody supervise their staff any more?

Sponsored Links
Giganet is farily cheap no? it's one way to keep the cost down but seems a bit of a rubbish move - are the other ISPs available able to offer service at the same price including static IP?

They're £40 a mth for 900meg Cityfibre which is much the same price as most other Cityfibre ISPs. The only real benefit of Giganet is that it's a rolling 1 mth contract.

I have been repeatedly asking about the availability of fixed IP in their new network, and they got in touch with me last week saying that from Friday 16th, the option was now available to every customer.
I was planning to finally start my switch now.

I have been repeatedly asking about the availability of fixed IP in their new network, and they got in touch with me last week saying that from Friday 16th, the option was now available to every customer.
I was planning to finally start my switch now.

Strange, they told me I'm on the waiting list yet they didn't contact me.

I'm still on a private IP but now too terrified to reboot router or refresh PPPoE session.

That said, I'm hopeful that as I've been paying for static IP since day 1, they won't actually *take it away* from me.

I'd immediately switch if they did.

Sponsored Links
I was considering moving to Zen but they've taken literally weeks to answer sales queries, and even then it took some chasing to get the answers I wanted. I can't imagine what it would be like if I was actually a customer and wanted some support! Besides, Zen say they're considering CGNAT for their residential customers in future anyway, so I don't want to be locked into an 18mth contract when this happens.

I've also looked at IDNET but they were advertising a service to residential customers that doesn't include VAT so what looks like a reasonable deal is now quite overpriced. I consider this practice a little dubious at best.

So, in the meantime, I'll stay with Giganet and continue the hunt for a decent ISP.

If you already own a router then I heard Aquiss is quite good. 12m contract. Reasonable prices.
Their sales team responded within 4 hours outside business hours.

Sponsored Links
Is the new network performing ok?

Download is good. It's often well over 900 meg. The last test I just did was 940meg. Upload seems worse than before. Generally, it's ~500-600meg and before, I'm sure it was a few hundred meg faster. Latency is around the same at about 6ms to get off network. No packet loss, very little jitter and it's been stable so far.

14936935006.png

14933861084.png

e704d78bb6146eb661c4d850a09b41d895a27b55-01-07-2023.png

I contacted Giganet today and seems static IP option is now available. I've got it enabled and it seems to do what it says on the tin so far.
How much do you have to pay for static IP?

I've just got connected with Giganet, and had been struggling to get port forwarding working. I then start searching the web and come across this CG-NAT..."oh no" was my thought. I can't even SSH into my computer remotely... When I saw the IP in the Eero app and my IP the internet thinks I am were different I was getting suspicious.

I've put in a support ticket to ask why it does port forwarding work, but perhaps I should skip straight to "I want a static IP" plus perhaps some complaining about how they don't explain CGNAT when I signed up (although maybe they do somewhere in the terms and conditions...).

How much do you have to pay for static IP?

I've just got connected with Giganet, and had been struggling to get port forwarding working. I then start searching the web and come across this CG-NAT..."oh no" was my thought. I can't even SSH into my computer remotely... When I saw the IP in the Eero app and my IP the internet thinks I am were different I was getting suspicious.

I've put in a support ticket to ask why it does port forwarding work, but perhaps I should skip straight to "I want a static IP" plus perhaps some complaining about how they don't explain CGNAT when I signed up (although maybe they do somewhere in the terms and conditions...).

extra £3 per month

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5385)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2221)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1589)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1375)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (914)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules