Sponsored Links

Was Three my best option.....

Thanks MrDave
Tried your suggestion with no joy. Speedtest still showing around 3Mbps download.
Interestingly, upload speed over 20 and totally wasted on me.

Are you actually connected to the same Cell ID when you're testing at home vs when you went closer in the car? If not then either it could be a different mast you're connected to at home or even just a different cell on the same mast (one that has more congestion)

Yes did try the loft with no obvious difference.

Oddly Gavin, I just did a factory reset and it connected me to a mast some 2 miles away? (There are 3 Three masts closer). I rebooted it and am now back on the nearest. Speed has gone up to 8Mbps. This is the same one I speedtested in the car Cell ID 780290.

What are your metrics for RSRQ, RSRP and SINR? If you are just checking the router UI then you probably want to note them and refresh a few times as they can fluctuate and getting an average is probably better.

CELL_ID 780290
RSRQ -11.0dB
RSRP -87dBm
RSSI -57dBm
SINR 7dB

Sadly doesn't mean a great deal to me! I was trying to find an explanation that you wrote on a previous thread earlier but got waylaid.

Sponsored Links
.......The RSRQ occasionally drops to -11 however the SINR jumps around between 7 and 10. Most often 8.

RSRP (power) of -87 is pretty good - understandably power reduces the further you are away from a mast, but you're pretty close.

RSRQ (quality) of -11 is fair, but could be improved, but is probably being negatively affected by SINR.

SINR of 8 is likey the main reason why you are experiencing reduced speeds at home.
I guess if you're in-amongst other houses in an estate (and have other masts in the area) then there are lots of signals being reflected off the houses, causing plenty of interference.

It might seem odd but have you tried holding the router out of the window that faces the mast, to eliminate your building construction/glazing from the signal path?

Tried that yesterday. Must admit to looking like a complete wally with my router on the end of a broom handle!!

I didn't carry out speedtests but was using the Huawei Hi app best position finder and that did show a slight improvement outside. I cant justify the cost of a directional antenna at present so I guess will have to carry on!

Something else which is slightly odd is that the router is connected via ethernet cable to a switch on my desk which in turn cable connects to my Pc and Skybox. However, the router tells me that there is no ethernet cable connected? Is it me??

Personally I wouldn't go with the position finder, stick with looking at the metrics and doing speed tests.

You may want to switch the Ethernet setting to LAN only, the default LAN/wan detection intelligence doesn't seem to get things right.

Sponsored Links
Yes I will do and have already changed to LAN only. It's a pity that you cant rent a directional aerial to test.

Apparently putting a cheap omni antenna (the box type) on the arm of an old Sky Sat Dish and pointing it at your mast works really really well.

That's because the parabolic dish is designed to reflect and focus the incoming signals. It won't decrease the gain coming in from other angles, but should allow the antenna to receive a stronger signal from the direction it's pointing in.

Bit like this sieve for improving WiFi :LOL:

I was semi thinking about the DIY aerial, in the absence of an unused Sky dish but it had me wondering.. At the back of my loft is an old tv aerial long since disconnected. Would that work?

Unlikely, TV signals have operated in the <1000Mhz bands (mostly <700Mhz now), and a TV aerial is designed for those frequencies, not higher ones needed for mobile (800/1800/2100).

You could use Power over Ethernet (PoE) that's how we power ours in my wife's shop. you then only need one cable running into your lost.
Thank you for the suggestion. I've ordered a pair of TP link Injectors/splitters and then it's back to attaching my router to the broom handle and testing!

My antenna is essentially a sat dish with a 4g antenna where the focal point is, it did not improve the signal over the dual Yagi array on a sunny day but it did stop the signal figures degrading in fog, rain and snow.

I've spent most of the afternoon trying to understand antennae etc, and although all the articles I've read suggest than an omni directional antenna should be the right choice in my urban area, it seems that a directional would make more sense - as per Gavins earlier suggestion.
The 3 masts closest to me only offer Band 3, whereas another mast 2km away offers Bands 3 & 20. When I downloaded huaCTRL it immediately changed my router to this one?
Anyhow as said. I can't stretch to the Poynting 0002, but there seem to be many much cheaper alternatives starting at around a tenner on Wish and Ebay, and some that look really quite decent on Amazon for around £50.
So, what recommendations can anyone make?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules