Sponsored Links

Watch out if installing Kaspersky 2011 - disables all USB ports on some PCs

Mel

I was trying to print something yesterday, and discovered the PC's USB ports weren't working. After ruling out a hardware fault, I guessed Kaspersky was probably the cause, as I'd upgraded Kaspersky the day before.

After the usual fixes failed to work, I found several people reporting the same issue see this thread from the 17th of June.

Running kavremover in safe mode and selecting remove all Kaspersky software got my USB host working again. Fortunately my PC doesn't have a USB keyboard, or things would have been much more tricky.

I suspect if kaveremover has removed all traces of Kaspersky 2010 and 2011, then 2011 might install ok, but I've decided to install AVG free instead.

What annoys me is that given others had discovered this back in june, they were presumably aware that it could cause this issue, yet continued to make it available.

I read about this last month on several news websites, it's a pretty huge screw up by them and affected quite a few people. On the other hand your computer might be less likely to get a virus if your USB ports don't work :) .

indeed, because if you use a usb keyboard and mouse (like l do) you wouldnt be able to use it, hence l wouldnt have been able to go anywhere to get any viruses :p which is why l dont use it :D

Sponsored Links
Yep, disabling the keyboard is probably the only way to keep some users safe :D I had been using Kaspersky, since it is provided free by my bank, I wouldn't actually buy any AV-product.

I wouldn't have even known a new version was out, had I not been trying to submit a file to Kaspersky that their AV product misidentified as/containing a worm. One thing I'll give them is they were pretty quick to confirm it was a false positive and correct the next update.

Oh, I should have mentioned the version I installed, it was kis11.0.1.400en_gb.exe

This why I use microsoft security essential, Simple not even sure it's there. but it will miss few spywares though.free so can't complain

Security Essentials is reasonable but it didn't pickup some recent HTML script viruses that I've seen and for some reason it occasionally fails to load when I boot my netbook. I have noticed this behaviour on my friends portable too.

Security Essentials is reasonable but it didn't pickup some recent HTML script viruses that I've seen and for some reason it occasionally fails to load when I boot my netbook. I have noticed this behaviour on my friends portable too.

I know, I seen few of my client pcs where they manage to get this AV scare wares installed.

I use openDNS to protect me from malicious sites etc.

Sponsored Links
I use Kapresky, and have for about 4 years. Its firewall and antivirus is about the same as every other one. Where it outshines every other product is in the tools it carries onboard. If a virus does slip under the toilet door it gives me the history, the ability to deny it access to all or part of my O/S, and it follows all the processess that make it tick. The last one is exceptional because i have ability to tackle most of the modern and unmovables like the awesome and bombproof Virtumonde. I also haven't seen an advert on a website in 2 years because of its excellent advert filters, not one.

Having said that, my 3.0ghz, 6mb computer does take about a minute to load, but it runs as sweet as a BSA afterwards.

I use Kapresky, and have for about 4 years. . . . If a virus does slip under the toilet door it gives me the history . . . .

Slip under the toilet door . . . . :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's the first time I've come across THAT phrase!

If you are happy with Kaspersky, stick with it; only change if you are unhappy. :)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules