Sponsored Links

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!

Hyperoptic

ISP Rep
Welcome to the Hyperoptic forum page!

Hyperoptic are the first, and currently only, company to provide 1 Gig broadband speeds to residential buildings in the UK. Following coverage in The Times, Forbes Magazine and numerous websites (including this one!), we continue to be inundated with interest from residents who are fed up with slow internet speeds.

We have started a real fibre revolution - it's time residents get the speed they pay for!

If you'd like to share your thoughts, ideas or feedback, please post your comments on this forum!

We look forward to hearing from you!

www.hyperoptic.com

Sponsored Links
Well done. OK it's a start.

Unfortunately, for foreseeable future, absolutely NO USE to 99.9% of the population.....

I am inclined to agree. Everyone's circumstances are different, of course, and this is probably a gross oversimplification, but I would basically label it "Fine for overpaid people in the media and the financial world living in trendy apartments in Shoreditch and the like - not a lot of use to the rest of us".

The website is predictably vague about prices - everything is "from £xx" (the rock-bottom price evidently only applying to blocks of flats where umpteen people all sign up) and I see no indication of what the likely cost might be for someone like myself, living in a one bed flat - the top half of a fairly typical 1930s suburban London semi-detached house that's been split into two - with little prospect of the downstairs neighbours being seriously interested.

"Affordable", the site assures me. Hmmm. Even at the bottom price shown, just how affordable is it?
20 Meg - "from" £12.50 a month. Well, OK, if you could actually get it at that bottom price (probably applicable to 0.001% of the population) that's not bad - but it's nothing really special compared to what I have. I'm close to the exchange, current sync speed 21441, I pay my ISP £16 a month, and, given that Hyperoptic's price is based on the number of people per building who sign up, if they worked out even as cheap as that, never mind cheaper, I'd be surprised.
FTTC is on the way here shortly, up to 40 Meg (and in my location, it probably won't be much less than that) - and my ISP are doing a package which suits me at £20 a month. That's what I call "affordable". Hyperoptic's next step up from 20 Meg is 100 Meg, which is "from" £25 a month, and if that's any less than £40 for a solo occupant like me, I'll be surprised - again, it's no great deal really, and, of course, it's way above my budget - I'd find it difficult to justify paying even £25 a month, let alone £40, and it would certainly leave me struggling a bit financially.

In theory, I suppose, it could be great for those in the sticks on a lousy line who can't get FTTC, can't get cable, can't get anything other than a poor connection on bog-standard ADSL - but what are their chances of getting Hyperoptic at what most people in the real world, not the optimistic marketing department of Hyperoptic, would consider to be an affordable price? Given the likely cost of providing the service to the half a dozen houses in Hovel-in-the-Midden, I would suggest that the answer is "No chance at all".

In short, a rich man's toy in my opinion.

Edit;
Oh, I forgot to mention the really fast stuff, didn't I?
"Now everyone in your building can experience affordable 1 Gig internet."
At a minimum of £50 a month (so God alone knows what it would cost for anyone not living in a tower block) - that's "affordable"?
Yeah, right - may as well buy a new Ferrari and book my two month holiday in the Caribbean while I'm at it, if I'm going to go bankrupt, why not do it in style?
Half the country (probably more than half) is struggling with debt problems, the dole queue gets longer every day, and they think £50 a month, the rock-bottom "if you're incredibly lucky" price is affordable.
I'm not saying that it isn't good value for money if you are loaded, but being told that it's "affordable" is, frankly, a sick joke for most people.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, for foreseeable future, absolutely NO USE to 99.9% of the population.....

Thank you for your post and interest in our company. Hyperoptic does focus on multi-dwelling-units as this is an often ignored market and one that can benefit from fibre technologies now. Although we do not just focus on 'trendy' apartments – often their residents are the most active in advocating our services – we fully encourage all residents in multi-dwelling blocks to contact us and work with us to install services in your complex. By focusing on multi-dwelling-units, we can offer our record breaking 1 Gig speed at a value price to those residents. Eventually everyone will be serviced by full fibre, but as an experienced entrepreneurial enterprise, we know that focus is critical to our success.

Regards

Sunita
www.hyperoptic.com

I am inclined to agree. Everyone's circumstances are different, of course, and this is probably a gross oversimplification, but I would basically label it "Fine for overpaid people in the media and the financial world living in trendy apartments in Shoreditch and the like - not a lot of use to the rest of us".

The website is predictably vague about prices - everything is "from £xx" (the rock-bottom price evidently only applying to blocks of flats where umpteen people all sign up) and I see no indication of what the likely cost might be for someone like myself, living in a one bed flat - the top half of a fairly typical 1930s suburban London semi-detached house that's been split into two - with little prospect of the downstairs neighbours being seriously interested.

"Affordable", the site assures me. Hmmm. Even at the bottom price shown, just how affordable is it?
20 Meg - "from" £12.50 a month. Well, OK, if you could actually get it at that bottom price (probably applicable to 0.001% of the population) that's not bad - but it's nothing really special compared to what I have. I'm close to the exchange, current sync speed 21441, I pay my ISP £16 a month, and, given that Hyperoptic's price is based on the number of people per building who sign up, if they worked out even as cheap as that, never mind cheaper, I'd be surprised.
FTTC is on the way here shortly, up to 40 Meg (and in my location, it probably won't be much less than that) - and my ISP are doing a package which suits me at £20 a month. That's what I call "affordable". Hyperoptic's next step up from 20 Meg is 100 Meg, which is "from" £25 a month, and if that's any less than £40 for a solo occupant like me, I'll be surprised - again, it's no great deal really, and, of course, it's way above my budget - I'd find it difficult to justify paying even £25 a month, let alone £40, and it would certainly leave me struggling a bit financially.

In theory, I suppose, it could be great for those in the sticks on a lousy line who can't get FTTC, can't get cable, can't get anything other than a poor connection on bog-standard ADSL - but what are their chances of getting Hyperoptic at what most people in the real world, not the optimistic marketing department of Hyperoptic, would consider to be an affordable price? Given the likely cost of providing the service to the half a dozen houses in Hovel-in-the-Midden, I would suggest that the answer is "No chance at all".

Edit;
At a minimum of £50 a month (so God alone knows what it would cost for anyone not living in a tower block) - that's "affordable"?
Yeah, right - may as well buy a new Ferrari and book my two month holiday in the Caribbean while I'm at it, if I'm going to go bankrupt, why not do it in style?
Half the country (probably more than half) is struggling with debt problems, the dole queue gets longer every day, and they think £50 a month, the rock-bottom "if you're incredibly lucky" price is affordable.
I'm not saying that it isn't good value for money if you are loaded, but being told that it's "affordable" is, frankly, a sick joke for most people.

Thank you for your post. With regards to the pricing, we say “from” as it’s the starting price for broadband – of course this price will rise if you subscribe to additional services (the price list can be found on our website). It’s standard practice for most broadband providers to list the base price as this can change due to the addition of line rental or additional services. Our service and pricing stack favourably against other semi-fibre and xDSL internet providers including BT Retail and Virgin Media. Though we may agree group deals with buildings that wish to enter into a collective purchase, in those cases the end prices may be less than those advertised on our website. Our web prices are consistent with our market prices where we provide service.

While we do appreciate that £50/month may be beyond the reach of many, we also have provided our lower priced products which are aligned to current pricing for lesser quality broadband. A full fibre service will always be superior in dependability, consistency, and performance than any xDSL/FTTC service, and yet we offer it at a consistent level with 'up to' services from leading providers.

Hyperoptic is open about our services having a focus market of multi-dwelling-units, and that by doing so we are able to provide a superior service, speed, and price point to those that can benefit.

Regards

Sunita
www.hyperoptic.com

Sponsored Links

Indeed hardly a quote"...real fibre revolution"

Should just market it for what it is rather than go down the road of attaching BS marketing phrases to a product.

It sounds great for those that can get it but lets not pretend its the best out there when its hardly available to anyone.

Edit;

I'm a plumber living in Battersea and have been using Hyperoptic's service for a couple of months. It's no "rich man's toy"!

I subscribed to the 100 Meg service. I got 3 months free and will be paying £37.50 a month after that. That's not much more than I was being charged by Demon for a much slower service. There was an installation charge of £40 but Hyperoptic waived it.

The improvement in performance is staggering. If the service is available to you I would recommend it without any hesitation.

Do you mind doing a few tests for my technical mind TEM please.
1) Normal speedtest.net result
2) Result from www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
3) Result from https://windows.mouselike.org/speedtest
4) A traceroute to windows.mouselike.org
5) A traceroute to www.bbc.co.uk

thank you!

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Sorry, I'm not very technical - spanners and hammers are my thing!

I've done a speed test and the results are as follows:

Download Speed: 97209 kbps (12151.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 87824 kbps (10978 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 6 ms
Tue Feb 14 2012 15:02:18 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Hope that's a help.

Sponsored Links
Got a question about the future of UK broadband? Why not ask our Chairman this Fri?

This Friday (11/May), Boris Ivanovic will be talking about his vision for broadband in the UK on the Guardian Technology website between 2pm and 3pm.

Ask any questions you have at http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology

Kind regards

Sunita

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules