Sponsored Links

What Could be Wrong

GaryS

I was a previous customer till this last week with Talk Talk Business. For close on twelve months I endured over that time a catalogue of internet droppings all at random times of the day, sometimes days would be okay, other times not so. I was on standard ADSL, I changed the cables, to my router, the router was changed three times, the actual physical telephone line was replaced twice including the master sockets on the wall, however it still did not resolve the problem, in the end I gave up with them as several Openreach engineers who were sent out, stated the line was okay and would round off by saying try switching providers or move to Fibre. I should state that the house is a new build and the overhead Telephone cable from my home is in clear site of the pole, without anything touching it. I don't have any electrical devices that are plugged in that could cause any obvious noise spikes either.
So, I took the plunge and moved to SuperFast fibre (FTTC) and with a reputable company, ZEN. Unfortunately no sooner as the system had gone live on the 15th June, the problem also seemed to migrate across and I have been experiencing the same issue again, all be it when it does disconnect the pick up is much faster. Full credit to Ben the support engineer at Zen, as he promised to monitor the situation and confirmed that whilst their seemed to appear long gaps of stability at different times of the day the connections would randomly drop as he could see that where he’s based. Now, Zen are going to send another router to me just to rule out any possible issue with the new one. I am using a Fritz Box router and they will then continue to monitor that and take it up from there afterwards. I certainly have no criticism of this support and help from Zen and it is far more practical than I ever experienced with Talk Talk Business, so fair play to Zen for promising to get to the bottom of it and not fob me off.
Both Zen and countless previous visits from Openreach have confirmed that the line to my property is stable and can’t see a problem with that as also the telephone line is clear too as I have done a silent test on the line.
With my poor knowledge of the situation, what do you think could be causing this issue, if this is an exchange problem what could that even be and why are Openreach engineers to date unable to yet to pick up the problem?
I am keen to understand what could be the reasons and maybe your technical expertise can share some light on the matter. Can anyone help

Any business premises near you?
I had years of issues until a certain wooden car company replaced the fans in their paint troom; the intermitent RF noise they gave off was so "loud", my PC and printer couldnt connect - despite being one 1 metre apart.
The other possibility is some duff equipment in the cabinet that serves you; have BTO do a lift and shift.
BTO loves to claim they can monitor this equipment remotely, but a duff set of ports feeding my current house a few years ago was reporting data throughput while the engineer was actually there watching it do nothing.

Sponsored Links
It's worth remembering that the approach depicted by Zen above, while useful, should be taken in the context that almost all electrical equipment will produce some interference. As Zen correctly says, it's when you can distinguish that interference from further away, that's the key.

Funnily enough I tend to find that the AC adapter plugs that ship alongside some broadband routers produce the worst levels of interference, which somewhat beggars belief. I ended up using a third-party adapter for a router from TP-Link to get around this.

Openreach have been to my home at least ten times in the last eighteen months. The fact these disconnections are at random times and sometimes fine for two to three days, really makes it more complicated as nothing in my home is changing at those times. Zen have sent me another router and after three days the actual speed dropped from 35mb to 11mb and only returned to 35mb after switching the router off and then re-connecting it again, so I doubt that is anything to do with electrical interference. Zen have booked another Openreach engineer for Tuesday of this week, however Zen have said that Openreach are not escalating intermittent faults to anyone other than a field engineer because of Covid-19. I doubt therefore, Tuesday's planned visit is going to get to the bottom of it, if all the engineer can do is what's happened previously. Test the line and say it is clear.
Any suggestions what I can do next?

Any business premises near you?
I had years of issues until a certain wooden car company replaced the fans in their paint troom; the intermitent RF noise they gave off was so "loud", my PC and printer couldnt connect - despite being one 1 metre apart.
The other possibility is some duff equipment in the cabinet that serves you; have BTO do a lift and shift.
BTO loves to claim they can monitor this equipment remotely, but a duff set of ports feeding my current house a few years ago was reporting data throughput while the engineer was actually there watching it do nothing.
Yes BTO did a lift and shift in fact twice and on the first occasion connected me to a Sky Customer even though at that time it was Talk Talk. It failed to resolve the problem. It was on BTO advice that I moved provider believeing it was Talk Talk at fault, however as the FTTC is still 500 metres away from me and the exchange only 1KM it still does suggest the problem lies with Openreach somehow.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules