Sponsored Links

What do my IP address and DNS adresses mean?

my ip is ###.###.#.# and my dns: ###.###.#.### I have no idea what that means nor if my router is secure from passing traffic. I have no reason (as far as i know) to stop anyone using my spare wavelength/bandwidth or even if it happens. If I should care or make changes what do I do?

Let us assume you are a hotel.

IP is like your postal address.

DNS is like your hotel room number.

Neither are there to protect you from intruders.

Without knowing more about your router, we cannot give much advice on how to secure it;

Make and model number

Is Wifi enabled (if it has it).

It should have come with an instruction booklet that explains the basics, such as accessing the control panel, and how to set/change user names and passwords for both Wifi and the control panel

Firstly, without more context, it's not clear if you're talking about IP/DNS for a local network (LAN) or your Internet connection. An IP address is kind of like an identification number for your computer on a network, while the Domain Name Servers / System (DNS) could perhaps most simply be described as a phone book for that address and one that can also translate IPs into human readable forms (names and words etc.).

Every individual computer / network device will generally have a unique IP assigned to it for use on your local (home / office) network and then your ISP will also assign an IP address for the Internet connection on top that and this will be shared by all of your networked computers / devices.

In the context of the Internet connection side, a DNS usually represents the server that your ISP uses in order to translate other remote / Internet based services and IP addresses into human readable form (e.g. domain names like ISPreview.co.uk are also translated by DNS servers from an IP address). You can however change the DNS on your router to use Google's servers or OpenDNS, which may or may not improve your browsing experience vs the ISPs DNS.

Generally these are both basic network services and security considerations are largely handled at a different level (e.g. firewalls, anti-virus etc.). Take note that people on the Internet cannot see your LAN IP addresses (unless they hack into your network / computer of course), only the IP address assigned to the Internet connection by your ISP.

Sponsored Links
Although I would never pay t stay in any hotrel I run I much prefer the hotel analogy than the mathematical explanation. But thank you both. What number is room service, please?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules