Sponsored Links

What does "building a chamber" or "chamber installation" actually mean for altnets?

gameinn

Pro Member
This week has had Netomnia roadworks stating "building a chamber" or "chamber installation" in and around the area. Last month it had lines along the roads saying "non-excavation, cabling / subduct".

So does this mean cabling has already been done?

This means that they need to install a chamber into the ground, so they can install equipment that would allow them to connect together different underground fibre cables, or to connect into the local exchange. Typically you will find many chambers outside exchanges, and these are used as a place to join together fibres from their own infrastructure, and then onwards into an Openreach handover point so they can have Openreach take fibre cables into the exchanges and connect them to infrastructure that is in a rack in there.

Netomnia use chambers instead of cabinets and place one next to each Openreach cabinet's area they pass.

They build a chamber close to the chamber serving the Openreach cabinet, connect them with ducts, and use it for aggregation of their customers served by the Openreach infrastructure connected to the cabinet.

Sponsored Links
Netomnia use chambers instead of cabinets and place one next to each Openreach cabinet's area they pass.

They build a chamber close to the chamber serving the Openreach cabinet, connect them with ducts, and use it for aggregation of their customers served by the Openreach infrastructure connected to the cabinet.
So Netomnia will basically be on the openreach fibre cables for the premises to exchange/chamber? Makes sense why I haven't seen any actual roadworks around here just all this chamber building.

It's funny though the town has all this duct/chamber building but when you put in postcodes for the town it just says:

sAh2uFi.png

The chamber builds are usually the first part of getting an area ready.

Build the chamber, build the node in the chambers, rod and rope to the Openreach chambers and poles connected to the Openreach cabinet, pull fibre cabling, install CBTs and L4 nodes in Openreach chambers / on Openreach poles, splice and light.

So Netomnia will basically be on the openreach fibre cables for the premises to exchange/chamber?
No they are installing their own fibre cables, they just us Openreach poles and ducts via PIA, They'll install their own chamber so they can put in their own splice pod

Bear in mind that if Netomnia are in your area, does not mean they will build the whole area. I know this from experience. 95% of my town has been built, but there are a few estates that are direct bury of copper, no poles or ducts to the houses - so no Netomnia for me. I've been told that when Openreach build it then they'll come in and finish the rest after that, because they just use the ducts they build.

Openreach have put a stop sell notice in for June 2024, which gives me some hope they'll build - I mean we have underground chambers - just not to the houses.

Sponsored Links
Openreach have put a stop sell notice in for June 2024, which gives me some hope they'll build - I mean we have underground chambers - just not to the houses.
Stop sell takes place when an exchange area is expected to reach 75% FTTP availability, but only applies to those properties which have FTTP available.

Or putting it the other way around, if your property does not have FTTP available, then the copper stop sell does not apply to you. OR could keep you on your existing copper DIG connection for as long as they like after that date.

Of course, in the long term they'll want to finish the job off so they can stop maintaining the last few copper connections and turn off those pesky FTTC cabinets.

There have been cases of users in stop-sell areas who've been told they must upgrade to FTTP, only to find that they have a long driveway with several thousand pounds of ECCs required to do the installation, which the property owner doesn't want to pay. After some messing around, Openreach have agreed to re-enable ordering of copper at that property.

Stop sell takes place when an exchange area is expected to reach 75% FTTP availability, but only applies to those properties which have FTTP available.

Or putting it the other way around, if your property does not have FTTP available, then the copper stop sell does not apply to you. OR could keep you on your existing copper DIG connection for as long as they like after that date.

Of course, in the long term they'll want to finish the job off so they can stop maintaining the last few copper connections and turn off those pesky FTTC cabinets.

There have been cases of users in stop-sell areas who've been told they must upgrade to FTTP, only to find that they have a long driveway with several thousand pounds of ECCs required to do the installation, which the property owner doesn't want to pay. After some messing around, Openreach have agreed to re-enable ordering of copper at that property.
And that is my worry, the vast majority of the area is covered with poles, so it will be very easy for OR to simply FTTP everything on a pole and leave us til last.

Thankfully, Virgin Media have built their network in the last month, just waiting for it to go live. They are not my first choice, however I don't have much of it!

Bear in mind that if Netomnia are in your area, does not mean they will build the whole area. I know this from experience. 95% of my town has been built, but there are a few estates that are direct bury of copper, no poles or ducts to the houses - so no Netomnia for me. I've been told that when Openreach build it then they'll come in and finish the rest after that, because they just use the ducts they build.

Sounds like you may end up with poles, as that will be quicker and cheaper than ducts

Sponsored Links
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £15.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £21.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: Ā£25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5411)
  2. BT (3492)
  3. Politics (2500)
  4. Openreach (2279)
  5. Business (2227)
  6. Building Digital UK (2218)
  7. FTTC (2039)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1945)
  9. Statistics (1767)
  10. 4G (1642)
  11. Virgin Media (1596)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1440)
  13. Wireless Internet (1380)
  14. Fibre Optic (1380)
  15. FTTH (1379)
  16. 5G (1219)
  17. Vodafone (1128)
  18. EE (1113)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (919)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules