Sponsored

What happens next with my FTTP?!

driftypixel

Hi,

I live in Tadcaster and there has been a flurry of activity with BT Openreach vans. Speaking to the guys they are installing FTTP to every property. Openreach has confirmed that the work is due to finish very soon.

Today I spoke to one of the guys and they said that the cable was up to our property now, but I would need to 'speak with a provider' to get connected up. It seems like the providers don't know that its currently there and ready to go.

What happens next, how do I get FTTP!?

h3x1e_

I recently had FTTP installed after the same basic observations as you (Openreach vans installing equipment running cable etc).

I kept checking BT's Wholesale DSL Checker and waited for it to change from WBC FTTP On Demand to WBC FTTP. I was then able to order.

I did notice that after about a week of all the equipment being installed and no more work being done Openreach came along and were testing each Fibre Port on the CBT the day after that happened I was able to see FTTP Availability Stage 1 on the Wholesale Check and was able to order without issue.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Experiences vary but it can take a few weeks or up to a year before you're able to order after the main build has been done. Seems to be happening more quickly these days though, so just keep checking with supporting ISPs like Zen Internet, IDNet, BT etc. until it says available. Or, as above, use the BTWholesale DSL checker (full address check).

Above looks similar to what I saw today. I live on an 11 year old development of 62 properties. All our phone lines from the cabinet go through underground ducts. Today there was about 6 Openreach vans and they were pulling cables through the ducts between the houses and the cabinet.

I asked one chap if they were doing FTTP and he confirmed they were, but the next chap I spoke to (nearer the cabinet) said it was GFast, but might be full 1Gb FTTP.

Can I assume (always dangerous) that if they are pulling fibre (the reel they were pulling through was orange and looked like that I see on editorial pictures on websites in FTTP articles) between the houses and the cabinet then it can only be full FTTP as it'd be going down the existing copper wire if GFast, ie no need to be pulling cables through?

Thanks,

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Gift Card
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2652)
  2. FTTP (2458)
  3. FTTC (1722)
  4. Building Digital UK (1662)
  5. Politics (1541)
  6. Openreach (1511)
  7. Business (1325)
  8. FTTH (1232)
  9. Statistics (1154)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1128)
  11. Fibre Optic (1020)
  12. 4G (973)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (972)
  14. Wireless Internet (972)
  15. Virgin Media (935)
  16. EE (649)
  17. Sky Broadband (639)
  18. TalkTalk (618)
  19. Vodafone (600)
  20. 3G (438)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules