Sponsored Links

What is going on with Three 5G.....?

onis_uk

We've had no end of issues with their 5G home broadband, after months we finally get a stable-ish connection at around 100Mbs. They then send us a letter and a new sim out of the blue saying they are moving us to a different service. New sim in, even worse signal and we're back to around 50Mbs... a far cry from the 400mbs AVERAGE we were sold on!

When I search their site for 5G now our area says its "unavailable in your area" and their 5G website just seems to point towards 4G services, what the hell is going on at Three?

My guess is that this reflects the fallout from Huawei being banned (Three make the mistake of having them as their sole supplier), which somewhat forces operators to start removing kit that has already been deployed (the government actually gave a long window for the removal of existing kit, but the nature of mobile means that many are starting that process now).

As such your area may be going through that phase or it could be another issue. But in either case i'm not sure why they would have issued a new SIM for that, which is quite odd.

THREE do not appear to be offering 5G Home Broadband prominently on their web site currently only 4G. Which may be related to availability of the hubs.

If you obtained 5G (Post Code verified) you will have probably been supplied with a H112-370 which is slightly different than the unlocked version. It could be you never had 5G just good 4G on this router or the SIM is specifying a different configuration which is not allowing the router to negotiate properly.

I would check with your THREE account the package being specified/charged, that 5G is available or not (independently if you can) and request a new SIM specifically for your package/router.

Only EE clearly differentiate between 4G, 4G+ and 5G. THREE are supposed to be providing "5G ready. All our SIMs are 5G Ready, at no extra cost" so if they are restricting the frequencies, carrier aggregation options or this particular routers ability to negotiate then your speed will be impacted.

There is always the issue that your local mast has changed (or between you) in some way and you are using an alternative mast. But the change of the SIM is indeed baffling.

Sponsored Links
I have indeed got that horrid piece of crap of a router... is there anyway i can see in the router pages if im actually connected to 5G?
I can see this in system info, but doesnt say im connected...

5G RSRQ
-11.0dB
5G RSRP
-104dBm
5G SINR
6dB

Doesn't the 'home' screen show the connectivity type (mine shows 4G+), presumably it shows '5G' when connected to 5G.

Those stats aren't great, so its not surprising speeds have dropped.
It does feel like switching over to the Three network has removed 5G from your area during the merger with Relish (as you report the checker says 5G isn't available for you anymore).
FYI Relish ran their own network/different site locations and those are being decommissioned or taken over in favour of Three sites to prevent over-build.

It just says 4G+ now....even if its 4G why is it so crap??? My EE phone can easily speed test at about 130Mps... im getting about 18Mbps on this service its a joke

Sponsored Links
So now looks like we signed up for a 5G service and have been moved onto a crappy version of 4G.... i have no option but to cancel now, this company has gone down the pan over the past few years!

Has anyone had any success flashing this H112-370 with stock firmware?

hey I also just received the new sim from three. they said in the email that they were merging their 5G Broadband with their 5G mobile service. after a few days of speeds of around 50mbps my speeds went back up to 250mbps and my upload speed is even higher than it was before. they also let me pick if i wanted to cancel or go for a 12 or 1 month plan. I chose a 1 month. :)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules