Sponsored

What isp to go with

I am at a new place and need a new isp, bethere and o2 are out of my range, and i need one that offers free wireless modem, i was going to go with sky because i am getting sky tv anyway but have heard bad things about their service, anyone recommend me any?

my postcode is da110bp if you want to check that i can get it

thnx

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Also, Sky seems to be pretty good as far as the budget class broadband providers go, I've heard more good than bad about them. Most of the problems they had were in the initial months just after launch sometime back. The only thing I'd recommend though is to get their top package since the cheaper ones might be more likely to suffer problems.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
The majority of complaints i've read from Sky customers are from those on their non-LLU BT based service.

As already mentioned, Be/O2 should be available to you from July 31st, Sky Max (LLU) is available to you now.

Both Sky Max and Be*/O2 are good services, and to be honest, there's very little to choose between them, Sky would seem to be the cheaper option.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
But don't you need to have Sky TV in order to get it's broadband?

You certainly used to have to take their TV when I looked into them about a year ago.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
Good point - I should have read the whole thing.... :rolleyes:

drsox

ULTIMATE Member
What is it with the spate of 3 "year+ old" topics being revived today :\

Sky makes sense due to price, it's normally fine if you don't mind using their router.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Gofast

What is it with the spate of 3 "year+ old" topics being revived today :\

Sky makes sense due to price, it's normally fine if you don't mind using their router.

Tom - www.mouselike.org
Quite simple, it is a cookie stuffing execise, try quoting the post and you will see the hidden redirect image, this and several others today have been reported. It is a campaign that is running all over the place and many admins are totally unaware they are placing these hidden items.

If you are intersted in seeing where it leads try using this tool http://www.seoconsultants.com/tools/check-server-headers-tool/

basically you collect cookies without knowing, they earn money from illegal clicks to affiliate pages, the site here is just used as a vehicle.

drsox

ULTIMATE Member
But what is the purpose, It seems unlikely I will visit another site that their image appears on, the most exciting thing they will be able to tell is if I viewed this post more than once ?

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Gofast

1. Requesting: hxxp://www.avufo.info/g.gif
GET /g.gif HTTP/1.1
Connection: Keep-Alive
Keep-Alive: 300
Accept:*/*
Host: wxx.avufo.info
Accept-Language: en-us
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0b; Windows NT 6.0)
Server Response:
HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily Location: http://www.imgquick.com/images/351.gif Set-Cookie: US-NB=1;expires=Tue Jul 10 2012 06:48:08 GMT-0700 (PDT) Content-Type: text/plain Connection: keep-alive
Final destination page is Groupon.

Today I have seen them to EBay,Amazon,Groupon etc. I guess it's a scatter gun approach, the other thing is that bots will see the URL and could follow it.

All I know is they are being placed by the thousand per day and they do it beause they earn a lot of cash.

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
Ah - so that's what it's all about.
Thanks for the explanation, I too had noticed it (and reported a few) both here and on other forums, but was puzzled as to what was behind it.
Glad to say no unwanted cookies seem to be being dumped on me (possibly because I don't have "Accept third-party cookies" ticked in Firefox, or if not that, then maybe it's something to do with my hosts file?), but there are, of course, zillions of people who just accept anything and never check what's been dumped on them, so I can imagine a bunch of good-for-nothings seeing pound signs by spreading more muck than a Somerset tractor.

No slur(ry) on the residents of that fine county intended!

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • Vodafone £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2463)
  2. FTTP (2091)
  3. FTTC (1630)
  4. Building Digital UK (1574)
  5. Politics (1380)
  6. Openreach (1376)
  7. Business (1206)
  8. Statistics (1077)
  9. FTTH (1014)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1004)
  11. Fibre Optic (957)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (902)
  13. Wireless Internet (884)
  14. 4G (873)
  15. Virgin Media (842)
  16. Sky Broadband (585)
  17. EE (575)
  18. TalkTalk (563)
  19. Vodafone (497)
  20. Security (402)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules