Sponsored Links

What nat type is Vodafone, EE, 02 and Three network using

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
Hi guys I wanted to know if Vodafone is using nat type 3 which is a strict nat type which is not good for gaming I read on Vodafone forum page people having problems playing online gaming.

Im currently on Three 5G broadband which they use open nat type on there network.

Dont know about EE and 02.

EE have CGNAT on IPv4 but do issue individual IPv6 addresses, although the IPv6 addresses are firewalled so won’t except incoming connections

Sponsored Links
I have lebara (Same network) but i dont do gaming so absolutely no idea

EDIT: I have just run a network test on my switch and it says "NAT Type D"

EDIT 2: Just googled and found out this means NAT Type 3 for all you PS users

EDIT 3: I just tried joining a game of Splatoon 2 and it keeps failing so no you cant do online gaming. You will find this with all operators except Three as they all use CGNAT

Vodafone customer service the person I spoke to told me he uses to play online gaming on Vodafone network and has no problem his getting moderate nat type.

They are in Egypt, it's a different network and standards there, theres no denying the facts. If you aren't going to agree with the answer, don't ask the question.

Sponsored Links
I was sent a link to this video a while back where a BT/EE rep admits that they firewall IPv6 to stop ‘unsocilicited traffic’ eating peoples data allowances.
Thanks @tartanGuru. Can’t imagine ‘enjoying’ the whole of that presentation, but it certainly explains why my kids can join games hosted by others, but not the other way round.

Don't mobile devices generally have firewalls and closed ports except for those apps expecting an incoming connection and therefore opening the port?

Feels to me that EE are saying it's for the benefit of the customer but it's actually to their benefit to stop people using it to do other things.

@TTJJ the mobile devices universe is a s&#t show and EE & Co do well to implement this security feature. The past and current security standard of smartphones is absolutely laughable, with the exception of Iphones.
Hardly any vendor takes security and updates seriously.

Sponsored Links
That genuinely surprises me. As much as I use an iPhone as my primary device I would've just thought that both iOS and Android had firewalls enabled by default.

On topic - I don't know how ZeroTier works in detail with regards to how it traverses NAT - though I have that set up on a router which connects through Vodafone CGNAT and it does so without issue. The router itself connects through a Huawei router with another NAT layer. I know they register with a central service but connections between devices on my ZT network connect directly - whatever NAT type they're using, it can't be that bad.

I still use an android. I have also used an iPhone but much prefer the Android OS. Much more things you can do with it and its not locked down to the high heavens like iPhones are.

I also use Android, but run LineageOS where I could install AFWall etc. Vast majority of people though use whatever is cheapest or trendiest at the moment, many devices running for years without any sort of updates or attention, full of bloatware, spyware, you name it.

I also use Android, but run LineageOS where I could install AFWall etc. Vast majority of people though use whatever is cheapest or trendiest at the moment, many devices running for years without any sort of updates or attention, full of bloatware, spyware, you name it.
I used to use a Xiaomi with Pixel Experience on it. That went for a swim and i ended up with a Galaxy A5 2017. i would put a custom rom on but I'd miss out on VoWiFi and VoLTE which are both quite useful as i don't get good 3G in my house but exceptional 4G.

Hi guys I wanted to know if Vodafone is using nat type 3 which is a strict nat type which is not good for gaming I read on Vodafone forum page people having problems playing online gaming.

Im currently on Three 5G broadband which they use open nat type on there network.

Dont know about EE and 02.
vodafone no only IPv4 I've currently got a chip from them in my 4g router (as three is rubbish) and can't use to online game. Also the NAT type will be determined by the type of connection and what they are using not NAT type 3 which is what I think PlayStation categories NATs under

Sponsored Links
vodafone no only IPv4 I've currently got a chip from them in my 4g router (as three is rubbish) and can't use to online game. Also the NAT type will be determined by the type of connection and what they are using not NAT type 3 which is what I think PlayStation categories NATs under
Could it be a firewall issue as similar to EE’s earlier described one rather than a NAT issue?

I have lebara (Same network) but i dont do gaming so absolutely no idea

EDIT 3: I just tried joining a game of Splatoon 2 and it keeps failing so no you cant do online gaming. You will find this with all operators except Three as they all use CGNAT
EE may use CGNAT, but there's no problem getting NAT Type 2 and playing online on a PS4. All you have to do is ensure that (if the option exists in your 4G router) you select full cone NAT rather than symmetric NAT (the latter often being the default on many 4G routers for some reason).

That genuinely surprises me. As much as I use an iPhone as my primary device I would've just thought that both iOS and Android had firewalls enabled by default.

On topic - I don't know how ZeroTier works in detail with regards to how it traverses NAT - though I have that set up on a router which connects through Vodafone CGNAT and it does so without issue. The router itself connects through a Huawei router with another NAT layer. I know they register with a central service but connections between devices on my ZT network connect directly - whatever NAT type they're using, it can't be that bad.

Zerotier uses VPN

EE may use CGNAT, but there's no problem getting NAT Type 2 and playing online on a PS4. All you have to do is ensure that (if the option exists in your 4G router) you select full cone NAT rather than symmetric NAT (the latter often being the default on many 4G routers for some reason).
My Huawei B535 is set to cone by default. You still get D/Type 3 NAT. This does nothing for Vodafone at least.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules